Caravan as a retreat

How are you preparing
NEPrepper

Caravan as a retreat

Post by NEPrepper »

I've just purchased a caravan that I plan to keep on a campsite in rural Northumberland, that has a water supply coming from a natural spring, and is at least 20 minutes away from the nearest A Road.

The caravan itself is a 4 Berth Elldis model, that's about 16ft long, and is plenty big for the family. The idea is to turn it into a Covert Retreat, that is as self sufficient as possible.

Initially, I will be ripping out all the old lighting, and replacing the with low energy LED units. I'll also be adding a second (possibly third) leisure battery, at around the 110ah capacity each. There will also initially be a 40w solar panel on the roof to keep the battery bank topped up, and hopefully supply enough power for the LED lights. Eventually I hope to expand this by a further few hundred watts, however initially 140W of solar panels is my goal.

The cooking and heating is currently a mixture of gas and electric. The fitted appliances are gas powered (heater and hob/grill/oven) however there is also a microwave and small 3kw electric heater in the van just Incase I fall short of gas. The water heater is a dual gas/electric one, and can run on either.

Although I don't anticipate any food shortages in the near future (or even my lifetime) as a keen hunter and marksman I also have the necessary tools and skill set to Hunt with air rifles if required. There are an abundance of wild rabbits, pheasants and other small animals in Northumberland that will make hunting for food relatively easy.

I, also plan to have the caravan stocked with around 2 weeks of tinned/dry food to last the whole family. Other basics such as bedding and toiletries will also be constantly kept inside the van throughout the year.

I will keep you all up to date with my project as much as possible and if you have any questions or advice, please feel free to leave them below :)

NEPrepper
Plymtom

Re: Caravan as a retreat

Post by Plymtom »

What I like about this idea is the combination of activities, most of us cannot afford to do much not even this for me I'm afraid, but the idea is sound in as much as it is a hobby, a holiday location with a practical purpose ( you are not spending a fortune to go sun your self and line someone else's pockets), plus somewhere to escape to should needs must.

My concern with prepping has always been not to waste, and to still have a life, We as a family are trying to make the most of limited resources, this does mean that in some scenarios our bums could easily be bitten because we couldn't/wouldn't go that extra mile down the preparedness route, in part a retreat as apposed to a BOL where a family could go for a break several times a year is then fun, whereas looked at by the less enthusiastic members if you were to say we're having a practice bug out, well they would not be so keen, yet a bit of caravan upgrading hunting/ target shooting, barbeque and many other related pursuits and they are enjoying it, you're on a winner.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
spindrift

Post by spindrift »

Thats a wicked idea. Well thought out and jealousy provoking :)
"A mind without purpose will walk dark places"
www.facebook.com/somethingborrowedbykelli
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

NEPrepper wrote:I've just purchased a caravan that I plan to keep on a campsite in rural Northumberland, that has a water supply coming from a natural spring, and is at least 20 minutes away from the nearest A Road. ....snip

Initially, I will be ripping out all the old lighting, and replacing the with low energy LED units. I'll also be adding a second (possibly third) leisure battery, at around the 110ah capacity each. There will also initially be a 40w solar panel on the roof to keep the battery bank topped up, and hopefully supply enough power for the LED lights. Eventually I hope to expand this by a further few hundred watts, however initially 140W of solar panels is my goal.

The cooking and heating is currently a mixture of gas and electric. The fitted appliances are gas powered (heater and hob/grill/oven) however there is also a microwave and small 3kw electric heater in the van just Incase I fall short of gas. The water heater is a dual gas/electric one, and can run on either.

I, also plan to have the caravan stocked with around 2 weeks of tinned/dry food to last the whole family. Other basics such as bedding and toiletries will also be constantly kept inside the van throughout the year.

I will keep you all up to date with my project as much as possible and if you have any questions or advice, please feel free to leave them below :)

NEPrepper
here is a short guide to solar PV http://www.bimblesolar.com/beginnersguide.

A 3kw heater will be a beast to run on solar power.

best of luck with your project.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I lived in a caravan for several years and it can be pretty miserable in the winter, no insulation, we had ice on the inside of the windows. I have known people who kept their gas bottles outside and the gas froze in the bottles on cold nights.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
NEPrepper

Post by NEPrepper »

Hamradioop wrote:
NEPrepper wrote:I've just purchased a caravan that I plan to keep on a campsite in rural Northumberland, that has a water supply coming from a natural spring, and is at least 20 minutes away from the nearest A Road. ....snip

NEPrepper
here is a short guide to solar PV http://www.bimblesolar.com/beginnersguide.

A 3kw heater will be a beast to run on solar power.

best of luck with your project.
The site has Electric Hookup points, and has also applied for planning permission for a 15kw wind turbine, although there is some disagreement from the local village, so wether it actually goes ahead or not is a different story.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

A prepper after my own heart! I'm looking around for a viable BOL disguised as a weekend retreat. One word of advice heating, heating, heating! I used to work in a (apparently) modified insulated caravan. It was awful! Three years of almost no temperature control: boiling, ok ish or freezing. Even with the heater on running off a generator I had to wear huge jumpers, hat and gloves in winter. The tiny stupid heater ate up the fuel. I quit after developing hypothermia - my bosses just denied there was a problem. Even the equipment was malfunctioning and chemicals freezing in their bottles! In summer I would be pouring with sweat and have to drink constantly. Anyway make insulation and heating a big priority. I'll look forward to reading your progress!
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

Mad Scientist wrote:Anyway make insulation and heating a big priority.
A different take on heating:
http://www.richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp
SHTF around 2017.
NEPrepper

Post by NEPrepper »

Hi again.

I spent the easter weekend (3 nights) in the caravan to test its suitability, both as a 'Holiday' caravan and as a BOL. The weather was generally GOOD, with temperatures dropping to below freezing at night, and varying between 12 and 20 degrees celsius at night. Over the weekend I found the following;-

- I didn't need to use the gas heater once, Even with 3 people and a dog in the 'Van, We simply relied on the cooker to heat us up in the morning while we were cooking breakfast.

- The water system needs work. The flow rate is simply terrible, other's onsite recommended a product that will flush the system through as Carbon particles from the water system have likely blocked the pipes.

- The Electrical system, is fit for purpose almost as is (85ah Leisure Battery, Built in Smart Charger and a 240v System). However I still intend to upgrade to a pair of 110Ah batteries (with 85ah as a reserve or backup), and install a 40W panel to keep the batteries topped up. The 240v system seems like it has been refit in the last 5 years or so and is in great condition, however I am planning on installing some extra sockets as 4 currently isn't Really enough. With a Microwave and Electric kettle, and LED TV almost always plugged in, there is only really one socket left over.

I plan to install 2 additional sockets at the front of the 'van in order to relocate the television to there. And another 2 towards the rear for charging things such as Phones etc. I am also debating on installing a pair in a cupboard at the back for charging a set of 2 way radios I use for Motorbike communications (Which double up as emergency comm's should the Mobile network go down), and also things such as GoPro's and Digital Cameras, Its a dual use caravan after all, with Weekend breaks as its main purpose, and acting as a BOL as its secondary.

- The current 2x 4.5kg Butane bottles I am told will usually last around 3 weeks or so of continuous use each. However I'm looking for a 15kg Propane cylinder for use in the winter, and a 13kg Butane cylinder for during the summer, keeping the 2x 4.5Kg cylinders as backups, and for use when touring with the 'Van. (The larger Cylinders are also cheaper to fill).

More to come later tonight.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm not sure that you can just switch between propane and butane like that, might be an idea to check
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar