First Aid Kit for your BOB

How are you preparing
preppingsu

Re: First Aid Kit for your BOB

Post by preppingsu »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Imodium or drugs like that are bad, according to my doctor. He told me that when you have diarreah (I think I spelt that right - wow), it's your body flushing out the bad stuff, and so best not to interfere with that. I think Imodium is for when you've got the runs but have an all important meeting you can't miss, so delays it for a bit. I think the hydration is already lost anyway, so I don't think Imodium hepls you retain any water.

But if you've got food poisoning, best to let your body get on with it IMO...
I agree but as fluids are lost its best to replace so maybe add something like dioralyte which helps you replace electrolytes.

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... t=category
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Ah, I better look into that a bit more then, might still have its place if you need to keep moving though ?
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Yes, Diarolyte (spelling?) is probably the best thing as it replaces electrolytes due to dehydration. So definitely pack a few boxes of that - it could save your life if you have dysentry.

Imodium may be handy if your life depends on you to keep moving, or in a potentially hostile situation where you can't afford to be pooping every minute, but generally I'd avoid it myself. It's more of a convenience product rather than a cure for diarreah!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a qualified medical person! :mrgreen:
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Hmm, as it happens, I looked through the FAK in the car yesterday and chucked a bunch of out of date things. Need to look through our Exped kit and bring that back up to date now.

For blisters we have something called Second Skin, which is a clear liquid you paint over a blister to create a hard slippery surface. Recommended!

I used to have Optrex in my work FAC because I used a strimmer a lot and frequently had crud in my eyes. You can buy one shot capsules so that you don't waste a full bottle as once opened it soon goes out of date. Sterile saline solution is also handy to have.

We have a small bottle of Tea Tree Oil in all our FAKs, very useful as both antiseptic and local pain relief.

I keep meaning to look at the Israeli Trauma bandages, which I've heard good things about. Though I suspect the Brit battle type dressing are just as good.

If I find other useful stuff I post when I've updated the Exped FAK.

H
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

The only thing I have in mine thats not on your list is a small 20ml sterile eye & wound wash. The only thing I'm missing from your list is antihistamines, didn't think of them as I don't have allergies but my OH does so they really should be in there...
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

A good source for FAC is the experts at St Johns Ambulance.

You can get the SJAB/RC/SAAA first aid manual for about £10 and first aid kits from £10 to £50 for an emergency incident kit.

Training is key though, SJAB do lots of courses as do the Red Cross & St Andrews.

Diarrhoea is a worldwide killer with the WHO stating that 1.5 million children die annually. Although the root cause maybe expensive to deal with, the de-hydration that kills can be ameliorated with an oral re-hydration solution which you can buy for pennies.

To make cheap oral re-hydration solution add 8 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 litre of clean water.

More on dealing with diarrhoea can be found in the WHO pdf guide.
allan

Post by allan »

Huorn wrote: I keep meaning to look at the Israeli Trauma bandages, which I've heard good things about. Though I suspect the Brit battle type dressing are just as good.

The new battlefield dressing that the army now use are Israeli dressing. Good size pad and elasticated to put pressure on the wound. The old first field dressing are still good kit. I carry both in my main first aid kit.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Ok, an updated list of what I have and suggestions of what to add

Already got:
Primary care leaflet
Small low-adherent dressing
Woven bandage & vinyl gloves
Small crepe bandage
Fabric plasters
Micropore tape & gauze swabs
Antiseptic cream
Antiseptic wipes
Scissors & tweezers
Safety pins
Surgical Gloves
Bandages x 2
Surgical Tape
Fabric Plasters x 1 Roll
Antihistamines
Pain Killers

Suggestions of things to add:
Burn treatment cream
Gauze pads for bigger wounds
Deepheat or the freeze spray
Blister plasters/Second Skin
Ibuprofen
Rennies indigestion tablets
"Collins Gem" First Aid Book
Steristrips
Vaseline
Sunscreen
Imodium
Dioralyte
Tea Tree Oil
20ml sterile eye & wound wash
Battlefield Dressing

Thanks for all the input, that certainly gives me some options to think about. Any more suggestions welcome

CC
allan

Post by allan »

Triangle bandages are useful for lots of thing not only slings. They can be used to make ring dressing (used if something is sticking out of the wound) and to remobilise injured limbs. I carry several on the cotton type as they are stronger than the non-woven ones.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

I guess it depends on what injuries you might expect to get.

I have in my kits a few bits and pieces which aren't really "First aid"

Sutures
Quick clot
Giving sets
Tourniquets
Hemostats (Forceps)
Saline solution
Glucose solution
Hartmann's solution
Insulin
Hydrocortisone
Stethescope
Electronic BP Monitor
Cling film
Childrens sticky plasters
Paramedics Shears
Triangular bandages
Nylon immobilising strapping
Stiff neck collars
Sam splints
Glow sticks
Face shields and FFP3 masks
Hypodermic syringes and assorted needles
CPR mouth to mouth shieds and masks

Can't think of anything else at the moment :roll: :geek:

Might not be of any use to me to use but might be helpful to a more experienced medicaly trained person ;)