First Aid Kit for your BOB

How are you preparing
Carrot Cruncher

First Aid Kit for your BOB

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

The continuing saga to refine my BOB :D

As we have covered the food for a BOB in another thread I'm now on to my First Aid Kit. The same applies to the FAK as applies to food, balancing the content against the weight and size etc

This is what I have at the moment which is based around the "Lifesystems Trek First Aid Kit" http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acat ... _Kits.html with some extra bits added.

The "Trek" kit contains:

Primary care leaflet
Small low-adherent dressing
Woven bandage & vinyl gloves
Small crepe bandage
Fabric plasters
Micropore tape & gauze swabs
Antiseptic cream
Antiseptic wipes
Scissors & tweezers
Safety pins

And I have added:

Surgical Gloves
Bandages x 2
Surgical Tape
Fabric Plasters x 1 Roll
Antihistamines
Pain Killers

What have I missed or what would you add (other than your own personal meds). I'm thinking that I need to add some AntiBiotics but am not sure as we are only talking about a 72hr Bug Out Bag.

As ever, all advice and opinions welcome

CC
scoobie

Re: First Aid Kit for your BOB

Post by scoobie »

Ooooh good post CC!

How about some antibiotic cream (if you can get hold of any)? Other than that, looks good.. you don't want too much in a BOB FAK apart from the essentials in my humblest of opinions.. just enough to cover the basics... how about some burn treatment cream too?
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

How about some gauze pads for bigger wounds (put under bandage)
What about some Deepheat or the freeze spray for muscle ache etc. MIght come in useful if you have to walk. Oh and thinking of walking how about some blister plasters, just in case!
Carrot Cruncher

I had some Burn Teatment pads a while back but they went out of date, i will have to check to see how valid the dates are on those type of things

Blister Plasters :idea: ..........I have been meaning to buy some for ages and keep forgetting, thanks for the reminder, and the spray might be a good idea as well if I can find a small enough can

Thanks for the ideas
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I don't really have a FAK in my EDC... :oops:

But i do carry a small tupperware box with tablets in. There's a strip of each:

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Migraine tablets
Rennies indigestion tablets
Hayfever anti-histamine tablets

I do suffer from migraines about once a month or so, so got into the habit years ago of having my migraine tabs with me at all times. I find Paracetamol is best for headaches, while Ibuprofen is good for joint aches (sometimes I get pain in my hip. I'm only 35!).
Carrot Cruncher

Just found that they do a "Collins Gem" First Aid Book, think I might add one of those as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Gem-Fir ... 0007183933
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Steristrips
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

vaseline
sunscreen/sunblock? (well, you MAY have to bug out on the one day we get a heatwave) I guess this could be a seasonal item - take it out in the winter and put it back in during the summer months
Carrot Cruncher

All good ideas so far, possibly include a few Imodium tabs as well in case I muck up on the water purification or eat some dodgy food
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Imodium or drugs like that are bad, according to my doctor. He told me that when you have diarreah (I think I spelt that right - wow), it's your body flushing out the bad stuff, and so best not to interfere with that. I think Imodium is for when you've got the runs but have an all important meeting you can't miss, so delays it for a bit. I think the hydration is already lost anyway, so I don't think Imodium hepls you retain any water.

But if you've got food poisoning, best to let your body get on with it IMO...