Food for your BOB

How are you preparing
hobo

Re: Food for your BOB

Post by hobo »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:I looked into them a little while back and it looks like the same sort of problem as with the hotcans, some people really rate them and others said they didn't heat the food enough. How did you get on with them ?
I have a stack of MRE heaters and reckon they're pretty good. Only used them with MREs though. Don't rate beverage bags though (placci bags that you fill with water/coffee etc and then place inside of MRE heater). doesn't get hot enough.

Hobo
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Thanks Hobo
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

A hot drink has to be hot, a cold drink has to be cold, a warm cold drink or a warm hot drink is not right.

If the MRE heaters don't get drinks hot then it's not just a waste of a couple of pounds, it can be a serious blow to a persons morale
andy prepper

Post by andy prepper »

If weight is an issue CC try repacking some goods, are mainly use lunch resealable bags or a my vacuam sealer machine what once the air is removed makes package really small. I buy all my dry goods in bulk and repack, also good for items that come if bulky packageing like pot noddles.
On food side are like to try carry varity of stuff like instant mash powder added to tin ham or hotdogs, bologinse packets with mince already in added to spaghati or pasta shells, tuna and noddles, also like instant custard for desert. If you want get technincal you good buy a food dehydrator and do stuff like fruit ,meat ,frozen vegtables and dehdyrate so easyier to carry and last longer.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Thanks Andy....I think i'm one of the few people on earth that likes instant mashed potato. Excellent idea
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Thanks Andy....I think i'm one of the few people on earth that likes instant mashed potato. Excellent idea
No, sadly you're not. I am partial to the occasional bowl of Smash with grated cheese and spring onion :mrgreen:

I keep a few tubs of it in my store cupboard - hidden away at the back!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

And you could always whisk it into soup to give it a bit more filling power. Instead of a huge pack that would floor a donkey, we need to think of odd ways to make light carry stuff work. I do a good odd :lol:
And remember these bags are for emergencies - so you dont need a 5* deluxe hotel mealplan in there. Basic food, light to carry and keep you alive until you get to where you're going.
Slimslim

Post by Slimslim »

Btw thought this might be interesting in terms of the subject...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY659oRe ... h_response
AAAA

Post by AAAA »

Have received my Hotcans and tried one so I though I would post what I think. I purchased three of them, with the intent of putting two in my BOB and eating one to see what it was like.

The first thing that I noticed was the weight, they are not light, at around 800grams, and you would defiantly notice this if you were carrying more than one.

To heat one up you need to remove the plastic lid and then pierce three holes in the can in designated areas. A small tool is provided for this, but it is a tad fiddly and not cold finger friendly.

The can will then take about 10 minutes to heat up. I found that the food was heated adequately; it could be eaten directly, with no need for blowing on it, etc. The meal I had was a chicken curry and the taste was what you would expect from tinned long life foods, it wasn’t great but nor was it bad.

Unlike many other ration heaters, this one did not required the addition of water, only a spoon. This cut down of mess / fuss. This also meant that you are not contaminating water by adding chemicals to it to create a reaction.

Overall I would recommend getting a couple of these to sit in your car, but I wouldn’t buy any more than that.

I purchased my hotcans from an internet company called ww.evaq8.co.uk/#
I also not that there is a company call hotbox which is also making self heating meals and drinks, although I have not tried any of there products. www.hotboxfood.co.uk/
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Good idea that to get some for the car though, in cold weather, along with a flask, they would make a big difference.