Entertainment

How are you preparing
Animalised

Entertainment

Post by Animalised »

Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys are doing to prepare in regards to entertainment, will you be living without TV and Internet? I believe that the majority of people are preparing for an Economic Collapse so with the economy down the toilet the price of internet will to high to pay for, if it even exists at all. The same for TV licences they will be too expensive to pay to watch TV. Is there actually a chance of people catching you without a TV Licence in an economic collapse, I imagine no one will be working anymore!

I know that our lives will be changed forever and our electricity will be more important for heating and such rather than sitting in front of a screen.

I just thought I would ask you guys what you are doing to keep yourselves sane during disaster.
grenfell

Re: Entertainment

Post by grenfell »

I think I've said before I tend to believe we are in for a slow economic crash rather than the instant tits up (it's probably already started in 2009 in many opinions) so change will be gradual. People will probably scale back their buying of satalite tv in favour of lower cost options in the same way we have seen the demise of Blockbuster coupled with the rise of a bloke with a bag of copied CD's at car boot markets. If the crash becomes deeper there will be less money for broadcasters as well so TV schedules will become increasingly full of cheaper or cheaply made programmes. Again we are seeing that already with all the reality shows, and that includes our favourite Doomsday Preppers :D . All that needs is a film crew , commentator and minimum of production staff for several hours of air time and that show isn't unique. I think TV will continue , at least to a degree , for as long as possible if only for TPTB to get across the message that things are ok. Again I see parallels with Germany in 44-45 , bombed to crap but still making and showing propagander films.
Now to answer the question a little more directly.
Anything that doesn't use power or use complicated electronics should be considered and we would do well to remember what play was originally for. Nowadays we play , or use entertainment , just to pass the time but in the past play was there to give us skills for later life in the same way that a cat will play with a toy mouse. Therefore consider activities such as shooting (gun, bow or sling it all has the same purpose) fishing, cooking , sewing , woodwork and so on.
It has already been mentioned that knowledge is power so books must figure largely in any plan and the paper versions whilist bulkier don't require any power to read.
Games that involve running around promote fitness so a ball or two should again be part of a plan.
If it's pure entertainment then there board games such as chess, draughts, nine men's morris , backgammon and so on. Monopoly can last for days and there's the irony that the game promotes the very virtues of greed and selfishness that hasten the economic down turn in the first place.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I don't have a TV, not had one for 11 years. As my post count reveals though, I would miss the internet like losing a major organ I think! :shock:

You can't beat books, that and chopping wood for the log burner, gassifier, etc etc :D

But more seriously, leisure and recreation are inventions very much of our consumer age. If that ends so will the routine of having time to kill.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Books, Cards and board games and for keeping the zombies away I will be singing :lol:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Provided Kindles dont get fried, you can have an abundance of books, and it can be charged via mini roll out solar panel. Board games are also worth a look and cards. Modern Entertainment systems have only been around for number of decades. What did we do before hand?! Population figures will be through the roof lol
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

I think our days will be filled with making sure we eat, have fresh water etc that we'll be to tired to do anything else.

We will rise with the sun and go to bed when it gets dark.

Tasks done by hand take longer and need more energy. Children will need to be involved with these tasks. Education will be skills that are needed to support the family unit (whatever form that may take).
jansman

Post by jansman »

preppingsu wrote:I think our days will be filled with making sure we eat, have fresh water etc that we'll be to tired to do anything else.

Tasks done by hand take longer and need more energy. Children will need to be involved with these tasks. Education will be skills that are needed to support the family unit (whatever form that may take).
Scrolling through this thread, you beat me to it Su. If we have to fall back on our labour, then we will be working like dogs, just to eat and heat. To be honest, with a full time job, my holding and animals, and my reluctance to pay for logs, I work like that now! :?
I do not think worrying about entertainment is an issue as events will dictate what time is leftover at the end of the day.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

preppingsu wrote:
Yes , makes perfect sense but I can't help thinking of the episode of the Good Life where they try that :lol:
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Su you will have to have some down time, you'll just burn out
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Like I said early on in this thread, leisure time is something that will be lost immediately there is a fall of civilisation.

Leisurely hours spent reading, gaming or pondering the wonders of Sky Telly will be long forgotten.

Ending the day with a quiet moment by the fire, safe in the knowledge tomorrow is off to a good start is as much as anyone can hope for.