5 minutes

How are you preparing
londonercsecse

5 minutes

Post by londonercsecse »

So, imagine, You got 5 minutes warning before SHTF (don't know what kind), how would You spend that time? What would You do? You will have to leave when time is up...
grenfell

Re: 5 minutes

Post by grenfell »

It'd probably be spent racing around blue arsed fly style gathering as much stuff as possible to take with me.
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

That would depend what case were looking at, and where I am. I am never that far from my car, where I have a full BOB, including food for a week, and 4 litres of water.

If I am at work and if I were able I would make my way home although that is longer than 5 minutes. But I know I am somewhat prepared if I couldnt get home.

Contacting people might be high on the list of priorities and work out a plan of action from that point.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Get home, and change modes from everyday normal to match as closely the scenario as circumstances allow using the preps to hand.

No specific event cannot bring forth a definitive plan, if say it's a 2 megaton nuke landing on Plymouth, the best bet may be for bunkerless me to go outside with my family and wait for the show, if it's s CME switch everything I can off and put it in the fridge :)

To speculate further is chasing my tail, I would know what I was up against wouldn't I, you have to throw us a bone here, or the best plan may be to have a cup of tea and wait to see what S is HTF, yep that'll do go home and have a cup of tea :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yeah, putting the kettle on is my usual response and think things over but the original post did say that five minutes after the warning you would have to leave which I take means it's an almost immediate bug out situation. I suppose it means I should have a BOB , then I could put the kettle on and fill a flask and take it with me :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote:Yeah, putting the kettle on is my usual response and think things over but the original post did say that five minutes after the warning you would have to leave which I take means it's an almost immediate bug out situation. I suppose it means I should have a BOB , then I could put the kettle on and fill a flask and take it with me :D

time to invest in

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/crus ... -696-p.asp and a few tea bags and whitener / sugar

then you can take your brew with you :D

5 mins i'd just go sit on my BOB in the spare room and see what pans out

likewise if at work just go sit in the car boot... see what happens and take it from that point
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Cheers Andy, it's not the investment that's the problem , I have enough gear and the bags to put it in . I just haven't actually gotten around to putting it all together in one easy to grab package largely because I've always seen bugging out as the last resort after all other options have failed so the "five minutes and go" scenario is highly unlikely in my eyes. Fun to think about as long as I don't think too deeply , because after all anything that only gives me five minutes probably wouldn't be out runnable such as a nuclear strike. Even a tsunarmi would get me in that time as I live in Central England and accidents by their nature are ruled out.
Time for tea. :D
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Things are improving...it used to be a four minute warning.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote:Cheers Andy, it's not the investment that's the problem , I have enough gear and the bags to put it in . I just haven't actually gotten around to putting it all together in one easy to grab package largely because I've always seen bugging out as the last resort after all other options have failed so the "five minutes and go" scenario is highly unlikely in my eyes. Fun to think about as long as I don't think too deeply , because after all anything that only gives me five minutes probably wouldn't be out runnable such as a nuclear strike. Even a tsunarmi would get me in that time as I live in Central England and accidents by their nature are ruled out.

just think back a few weeks to the tidal surge police were running the streets braying on doors telling people to grab some stuff and get out....

Probably not the same as a full bug out i can hardly see the staff of a leisure centre thats been turned into a refuge/ rest centre liking the idea of the lunatic in cammo who has wandered in caring a air rifle 10 dead rabbits, setting up a basha and building a fire in the sports hall :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
grenfell wrote:Cheers Andy, it's not the investment that's the problem , I have enough gear and the bags to put it in . I just haven't actually gotten around to putting it all together in one easy to grab package largely because I've always seen bugging out as the last resort after all other options have failed so the "five minutes and go" scenario is highly unlikely in my eyes. Fun to think about as long as I don't think too deeply , because after all anything that only gives me five minutes probably wouldn't be out runnable such as a nuclear strike. Even a tsunarmi would get me in that time as I live in Central England and accidents by their nature are ruled out.

just think back a few weeks to the tidal surge police were running the streets braying on doors telling people to grab some stuff and get out....

Probably not the same as a full bug out i can hardly see the staff of a leisure centre thats been turned into a refuge/ rest centre liking the idea of the lunatic in cammo who has wandered in caring a air rifle 10 dead rabbits, setting up a basha and building a fire in the sports hall :mrgreen:
I think that we need to consider the most likely scenario. Having a bag that could get you through the night at a rescue centre or travel lodge would be the most important in my eyes. Then having a box of 'outdoor' stuff eg small camp cooker etc that could easily be grabbed would be second. That way you've got quite a lot covered.

Problem I have is keeping up with the kids - their bags have to be updated regularly and I'm not so good at that :oops: