Top skills

How are you preparing
colack

Top skills

Post by colack »

Here's a question.What are the top 3 alternative skills a prepper should develop? We all know about bushcraft, agriculture, first aid, navigation etc, but what are the 3 skills you wish you could develop, if money and time were no object?
ForgeCorvus

Re: Top skills

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Flint-knapping
Textiles
Forestry and green-wood working

The first, my wife has promised to buy me a basic course as a present.
The second, I'm working on over this winter (starting with a fleece and going through to a finished garment..... I hope)
The third, is what I'd rather do for a living
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
unsure

Post by unsure »

butchery
on the opposite end , animal husbandry looking after and raising animals .
building , roofing ect
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Ok I'm not skill less I was a manual worker (electrician with building related experience), now I'm a house husband/carer who doesn't get out much, and whilst knitting or jam making may be useful I would want to do stuff that was useful and fun so.....here's my 3

I've recently realized I'm little use (or have little experience on foot at any rate) at map reading it's not that I can't, it's just that I haven't been anywhere so unfamiliar on foot that it mattered, the specific scenario thread flagged it for me, because in certain situations you need alternate routes, I've walked local coast paths and a bit on Dartmoor, both are well signposted , and I know my way around my hometown better than most on main roads, it's getting from A to B without sticking out like a sore thumb I want to learn and that starts with a map and a walk.

I'd also like to do some bushcraft and spend a night or two out under the stars.

And finally I'd like to do some hunting/stalking, I don't remember if it was here, but someone said you can hone your hunting/stalking skills with a camera, aware that there is no meal at the end of it, but the theory is because of the right to roam you can practice all the skill of getting close enough, without having to have permission to do the real thing.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I do have a decent skill set but it's nowhere near complete or perfect . If I could have extra skills then engineering would be up there. Sure I've worked on and repaired cars when I was younger but the ability to machine parts and keep infrastructure working post event would be good.
Likewise I can wire a house (but have to get someone with the appropriate tickets to sign it off) but I would love a better knowledge to work on say alternative power supply.
And the third? Probably go along with unsure on the animal husbandry.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

it would be good to have

plumbing, gas engineering, motor mechanics

but I dont...
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

I want to have:

alternative energy knowledge / skills.

animal husbandry (even if only chickens)

structural repair / construction knowledge
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

My three would be:

- All skills pertaining to the Blacksmith

- All skills pertaining to the Bowyer

- My animal tracking ability can barely be described as basic. I can recognize a variety of signs and could follow them a short distance in 'perfect' conditions where the tracks are easily identifiable but that is about it. If I had the time, and money for professional training, I would love to have enough skill that I could be considered an expert.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Amber_Leith

Post by Amber_Leith »

Growing Coffee and Tobacco
jasper1

Post by jasper1 »

Beekeeping for me........am sourcing beginners courses at the mo.

I'm with Plymtom on the map reading too.....we home educate, and its on son's "to do" list of projects to tackle.