Starting a Camp Fire

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Starting a Camp Fire

Post by itsybitsy »

I've never actually done this, but this is how I would approach it, assuming I had bugged out and was now camping somewhere (god forbid :shock: ). So I'm after some advice as to whether I'm thinking along the right lines, or not. If I am making this look hard, then an easy, three step outline of how to start a fire outdoors would be GREAT! :lol:

All practical, constructive tips/advice welcome.

1) Find a flat, relatively draught free area
2) Make a ring of stones
3) Get some kindling - thin, dry twigs/leaves (nothing green - doesn't burn well and causes too much smoke) anything else lying around that would light easily
4) Arrange kindling in a wig-wam shape and then stick underneath a couple of cotton wool balls soaked in petroleum jelly
5) Light (hopefully)!!!
6) Once fire has 'taken' start to apply some larger pieces of wood to keep fire burning, as and when necessary
janso

Re: Starting a Camp Fire

Post by janso »

Itsy -

I've always found that finding an area that has a natural windbreak helps, i.e, a depression in the ground, a rock outcrop , etc.

The traditional ring of stones doesnt really matter so much, if the stones are pourous and have a build up of moisture inside them, they are likely to shatter from the heat, sending shards of stone winging around.

You've hit the nail on the head thou, set up your timber - tinder, kindling and fuel ready to go before lighting. Rmember to have a stack of fuel not too close - you could use it like a reflector, to reflect heat back towards you, which also helps to dry out any moist timber.

I've mostly found that using a fire pit helps; de-turf a small area and set aside. Dig out small soil to form a pit. Bank up the soil to the prevailing wind and cover this with the turf (try not to scorch the turf thou!). Make it larger than the expected fire surround and allow enough air to circulate around the bottom so the fire isnt starved of oxygen.

REMEMBER the fire triangle - HEAT, FUEL, AIR. If any of these arent present, the fire will go out!

Hope it helps! Theres a fairly new book out which is quite good at explaining methods, whys and what fors:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-F ... 32&sr=1-30

Failing that, most outdoor survival books have a chapter on firelighting - practice, practice, practice! Make a semi permenant fire pit in your back yard if poss and actually use - exactly like a BBQ!
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Your pretty well there Itsy. You just need to get out and try it!

I'd agree with Janso and say forget the stones though. Apart from the possible risk of them exploding, not as common as some would suggest but does happen, they are just more to clear up when you move on. You need to clear the ground for your fire anyway, whether that's removing turf as in Janso's scenario or sweeping away leaf litter to expose bare soil in a woodland setting. Clearing away combustable material is better than trying to contain a fire anyway.

The only other things I'd add are to use a layer of sticks flat on the ground on which to build your fire as this will insulate your initial fire from possible damp/cold - remember the fire triangle! Learn how to make feather sticks. You can always find dry wood in the centre of two inch plus branches and use these to make feather sticks. Always have twice as much kindling as you think you'll need to guarantee that one match fire.

So, get out and try it. Satisfy your inner pyromaniac, you know you want to! :)

H
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Thanks for the advice guys- very helpful.

Yep - I've watched a few videos about making feather sticks. I'll buy a bag of sticks and start practicing!

So what kit do I need? A sharp knife and a zippo?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

And how would you start a fire in the rain - is it even possible or would you just get the camp stove out?
pol76

Post by pol76 »

Itsy we defo need that Yorkshire RV so that basic training can be given on fire, shelter and water

max
janso

Post by janso »

http://www.thehikingguide.net/hiking-gu ... -firecraft

This link is part of your posted link Itsy, good instruction to help you master the art of flames!!