Physical Fitness

How are you preparing
Damkina

Re: Physical Fitness

Post by Damkina »

I don't know if it's of any use for prepping and carrying a BOB, but our army lads start their training with a 25lb Bergen filled with whatever of their kit makes up the weight, then upwards until they can carry all their kit, along with webbing and body armour, rifle and extra ammunition.
Magz

Post by Magz »

I'm so ill at mo I couldn't carry a hanky :( but I was thinking few days ago about loading my pack with bricks/rocks, walk a few miles with them and as I get used to it add more bricks/rocks till I reach the same weight as my BOB, coz for anyone that's not used to the weight seemed like a good idea to build up stamina rather then starting off with the whole 40lb maybe more and hurting my already damaged back.
scoobie

Physical Fitness

Post by scoobie »

Sorry to hear you're not well Magz, hope you get better soon!

Good idea on gradually increasing the weight in a bag to get used to BOB weight :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
scoobie

Physical Fitness

Post by scoobie »

I wonder if bags of sugar/flour would be better for your bag and potentially your back than bricks/rocks...just a thought :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
Magz

Post by Magz »

Thanks Scoobie.
Yeah I did think of sugar but we don't use much of it in my house so it would be waisted money and the bricks down the road are free lol an of course I would put them back ;) but having said that I do have lots of bags of flour so good idea might use that instead.
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Magz wrote:I'm so ill at mo I couldn't carry a hanky :( but I was thinking few days ago about loading my pack with bricks/rocks, walk a few miles with them and as I get used to it add more bricks/rocks till I reach the same weight as my BOB, coz for anyone that's not used to the weight seemed like a good idea to build up stamina rather then starting off with the whole 40lb maybe more and hurting my already damaged back.
Magz, I've mentioned this to my son, he says under no circumstances are you to use any bricks or rocks. Sleeping bags, water bottles, extra clothing, any kit that you might eventually carry in a BOB, but no bricks or rocks. Put the whole bag on some scales (or suitcase scales)and keep stuffing it in until you get it to the right weight.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Magz

Post by Magz »

Whys that? I think it would be a good way of building up endurance it would strengthen the back muscles not to mention losing a few pound in weight.

I watched a diet program few years back where the woman carried bricks and lost stones.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Huorn wrote:CC, have you thought of starting out with a couple of mile walks with your BOB once a week and building from there. 40lb is a fair old weight to start out with, I'm sure you'd see quite a difference to your fitness levels in a short time if you had time to do this a few times a week.
Thats probably a very good idea, and would also save the embarrassment of being airlifted off Dartmoor when i collapse with exhaustion :oops:
dch

Post by dch »

mags please do not do the brick thing, you don't know when your foot could go down a rabit hole and you have a broken ankle, then unless you have some charcoal to go with that flat pack barbaque your very quickly in a load of trouble, going from hot and sweaty with your heart rate high to lying on the ground and in pain is a short cut to hypothermea, even with a sleeping bag you will be in a mess in no time, just watch any news footage and the first thing the ambulance crews do uis get a blanket on someone even when they are properly dressed and the weather is fine.

years ago an SAS officer wanting to get back in shape after some ill health did part of the selection course with a bag full of bricks, he died, this man was fitter than 99% of people but just got caught in bad weather, and for years in the 1970's boy scouts where going of and dieing because of not having the right gear.

also with the right gear you have the chance to help if you come along someone who isnt thinking ahead.

its more serious than you know, ive been caught out in all the weathers and had to carry a guy off the mountain it is never fun when it goes wrong.
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

I am going to do 2 things to get fitter: 1. get the bicycle out of the garage and cycle down our (newly opened)local cycle path.(route no.27) and 2. we have just got a new allotment and will be working on that this year, its a brand new site which means i've got a lot of digging to do!