Essential skills for a group ?

How are you preparing
southernPrepper

Re: Essential skills for a group ?

Post by southernPrepper »

Yep, and the nuclear power stations will still be there, humming away. Not to mention the hydro plants in Scotland and the various solar/tidal/wind stuff knocking about these days.

The future will have electricity, just maybe not so much.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Anything to do with electricity is a total mystery to me. I will never understand even the basics of it ! :mrgreen:
pietka

Post by pietka »

i rekon sparks wud be quite useful in a post SHTF situation cable can be stripped from disused buildings lots of unusable electric/electronic appliances batteries from abandoned cars and hey walla an 12v supply cud be rigged together although not quite to the regs!

Not forgetting the skills that go alongside like a spot of carpentry, building, plumbing, metalwork etc.
janso

Post by janso »

pietka wrote:i rekon sparks wud be quite useful in a post SHTF situation cable can be stripped from disused buildings lots of unusable electric/electronic appliances batteries from abandoned cars and hey walla an 12v supply cud be rigged together although not quite to the regs!

Not forgetting the skills that go alongside like a spot of carpentry, building, plumbing, metalwork etc.
Agreed all the way.... it would be hard to imagine any disaster wiping out all traces of civilisation....besides, I would quite enjoy being a post apocalyptical rag 'n' bone type scavenger!! :lol: Finding all many of 'stuff' and using modern skills to try and make it work in a positve and productive fashion
counsellor

Post by counsellor »

How about someone who can actually walk the walk and not just talk the talk. like so many of the current over paid desk jockeys
Alley

Post by Alley »

These are the suggestions categorised. I think it's a given that people on here already have the general skills and attitude to walk the walk.

Health:
Doctor
Nurse
Herbalist
Dentist
Optician

Construction:
General Builder
Engineer
Metal worker
Electrician
Inventor types
Forestry
Carpenter

Food:
Farmer
Hunter/Trapper/Fisherman
Food Preserving
Animal husbandry / Vet
Cooking
Gardener

Transport:
Mechanic
Maps and Navigation skills
Horse skills
Blacksmith

Clothing:
Dressmaker/Tailer
Knitter
Shoemaker

Security:
Alarm engineer
Military skills

People:
People skills
Leadership / Organisation
Teacher
Child care
Mediation
Radio skills

Bushcraft covers a few categories so I'll leave it here.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

counsellor wrote:How about someone who can actually walk the walk and not just talk the talk. like so many of the current over paid desk jockeys
Not quite sure what you mean Counsellor...would you mind clarifying?

Also, I'm not quite sure what a desk jockey is? :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well I'm an extreme hard-core walking-the-walk knitter. :lol:
Commissum

Post by Commissum »

This was a very interesting thread to read for a Mutualist :)

I think problems with leadership and organisation will come when there are no external enemies left, if not before. I have some bad experience with NGO's; 90% politics - 10% action and any group that can do better will be more efficient. If you have the perfect Enlightened Leader this will not be a problem, all you have to do is follow order... I will assume that this Leader will not be around when you need him or her :shock:

So, I would like to add "asymmetric encryption" to the list of skills for the group. This is not were easy to grasp, but you get the tools to vote, to create a lottery and to create a currency - all in an open fashion so that everybody can audit the process. Hopefully this will stop distrust within the group and avoid some of the unnecessary conflicts. For this to work you need computers and external memory and/or a network of some kind (package radio?), so in an EMP-scenario this is useless :cry:

Anyone familiar with asymmetric encryption, PGP-keys?

Mr C.
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

Commissum wrote:
Anyone familiar with asymmetric encryption, PGP-keys?

Mr C.
Very. Can't see the application post SHTF event though. You can vote with a show of hands, bet on a deck of cards and use things of value rather than money.