How are you preparing
dch

Re: Essential skills for a group ?

Post by dch »

now thats a good one Damkina!
counsellor

Post by counsellor »

This is a topic that I have often come into my head when seeing all the stuff thats going wrong and My thoughts are that its not just skills that would be important but the ability of the individuals to learn, adapt and improvise in that situation along with the personalities that want to be part of a group without tearing it apart
I understanding that an effective group works best when it’s between 5 and 12 people that all have varying skills and abilities. and that includes a leader
But the basics is a must, food warmth and security, after that you can do all the nice things
:D
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

I suppose that depends how many people think they are the leader and how desperate they are to do what it takes 'for the good of the group'.

That sort of group would have to do without me, as leaders are dangerous. Small groups need advice and guidance from an experienced hand and usually no one person has a monopoly on all the knowledge.

Adam was a gamekeeper so Adam is in charge of hunting.
Betty was a butcher so is in absolute charge of that.

If Zebedee was an office manager, skilled in managing people in an office environment then Zebedee is in charge of that which means Zebedee gets to spend a lot of time being told what to do by Adam & Betty until we find an office that needs managing again. :lol:
counsellor

Post by counsellor »

ya you're right the leader is the one who leads thro good example and links everyone else's talents together
not the one that sits on his or her ar#e giving orders :D
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Nor the ones who state that they will be the leader of whatever group they find themselves in...I know of at least 2 people who have said that :?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Nor the ones who state that they will be the leader of whatever group they find themselves in...I know of at least 2 people who have said that :?
Which means that they'd last about a week and a half before the rest of the group got together, decided enough is enough and cast them out.

I don't think there's any prescriptive formula for a group. They naturally expand and contract, and evolve over time.
pietka

Post by pietka »

I would have thought an electrician would be a good bet one with knowlege in electronics! I'm a sparks and i'm trying my knowlege out on the more delicate side and its harder than i thought!
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

I should imagine there isn't a single skill you learnt in your 17th Edition that is cross applicable to electronics.

Sparking itself is a very useful skill, especially if you have any generator experience.
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

While it pays well, what I do for a living would be absolutely no use in a post SHTF situation! :lol:

I am good at maps and navigation though. Send me off on foot and I can go wherever you want me to - and back again...
janso

Post by janso »

Attack Warning Red wrote:While it pays well, what I do for a living would be absolutely no use in a post SHTF situation! :lol:

I am good at maps and navigation though. Send me off on foot and I can go wherever you want me to - and back again...
Why not?? There would be plenty of electric/ electronic materials to scavenge hopefully (depending on the authorities around in a situation), having someone who could hopefully get some kind of charging system and electrical use going would be a prime occupation and a boon to any surviving community.

Just think how alchemists, etc, were regarded in years gone by....... an 'electrician' with an apprentice??!! :)

I think that occupations in any future scenario would still be applicable, a skill set would be assimilated into other 'trades', everyone would have a primary area of work and possibly a second.... thats if its a democractic community!!

Thoughts???