EMPs and Cars

How are you preparing
Laziji

EMPs and Cars

Post by Laziji »

Yes the battery and starter would fry in an EMP but what other parts would die?

Mines a diesel.

I was thinking of keeping spares to one side for such an event.
poppypiesdad

Re: EMPs and Cars

Post by poppypiesdad »

Immobiliser module , central locking module , ecu , injector controller , fuel pump , ignition , altenator , basically the whole lot , buy a horse and a harness and you would have a wagon .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Would it not be easier to put the whole car in a faraday cage? How about a shipping container lined with plastic or rubber , would that work?
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

No shipping containers have a wooden floor , so you would need to go to the bother of seam welding a steel floor into the container to make it totally enclosed , but the doors on a container are usually against rubber seals ( to prevent the weather comming in ) so you would need to alter the doors as well , or weld new metal doors inside it as well.

J
Be Prepared.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Oh right, I thought I'd seen some with metal floors but could very well be mistaken.
I suppose it's a question of how much work it would be to make a car sized faraday cage as app posed to making a cage to keep all the parts plus the time it would take to rebuild the car.
jansman

Post by jansman »

poppypiesdad wrote:No shipping containers have a wooden floor , so you would need to go to the bother of seam welding a steel floor into the container to make it totally enclosed , but the doors on a container are usually against rubber seals ( to prevent the weather comming in ) so you would need to alter the doors as well , or weld new metal doors inside it as well.

J
So true. Another point would be, how would you know when there is to be an EMP event?
Me? I will use my bicycle.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote:J
Another point would be, how would you know when there is to be an EMP event?
Me? I will use my bicycle.[/quote]

Very true, I suppose it would be a case of keeping the car in its cage at any time that you are not using it assuming that the car is at home unless you could have another cage at work. Probably best to follow your advice and use a bike.
Another point that has been made in another thread is that EMP's tend to come from atomic bomb blasts so worrying about being able to pop out in the car to tesco's won't be top priority.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Unless you go for an old car , one with points and a carburettor, and go really old school and get one with a starting handle your parts list would be pretty straight forward

Condenser
Distributor cap
leads
alternator
and a starter motor

would be an easy fix and give you transport

something like a mini , morris minor , or even a series landrover

J
Be Prepared.
unsure

Post by unsure »

if you want to use a car after the theoretical emp. then think old school , points and condensor engine . no ecu`s or computers to go wrong . you just need to keep a spare set or points and a condensor ,also a diode pack for the alternator . same goes for an old school diesel engine , you don`t need a battery to start these just bump and go .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
unsure

Post by unsure »

ok i type slow , beaten to it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .