Phase 2

How are you preparing
hobo

Re: Phase 2

Post by hobo »

urban fox wrote: i suggest that whatever plans you make for stage 2 if you get that far, only involves people who have your best interests at heart and you theirs!!!
FAMILY.
urban fox

Post by urban fox »

hobo wrote:
urban fox wrote: i suggest that whatever plans you make for stage 2 if you get that far, only involves people who have your best interests at heart and you theirs!!!
FAMILY.
spot on family yes!!! just wish more members of my own family had prepper mentality sadly they dont!!!
hobo

Post by hobo »

urban fox wrote:
hobo wrote:
FAMILY.
spot on family yes!!! just wish more members of my own family had prepper mentality sadly they dont!!!
I've got a prepper brother... and my sis understands but they're not as far on (or far out?) as me. WHEN things start to get really rough I'll sit them down for a serious chat about bugging out together. That would be my preferred option but I am also looking locally for the right kind of people. I have 2 candidates I'm talking to so far!

Hobo
johnpaul

Post by johnpaul »

I started on my plan B several years ago and came to the conclussion that you will not last very long without some kind of community around you. I also decided that the UK is too densley populated and too urban and that decent to a lower level of sophistication will be quite traumatic. So I decided to keep my house in the city, and buy a "holiday home" in a very remote location in the mountains, off grid, and only accessible by foot. But the most important aspect of my preparation has been to get on with all my neighbours, and try to become part of the local community, because when TSHTF you need people around you that you can count on.

Cheers
urban fox

Post by urban fox »

johnpaul wrote:I started on my plan B several years ago and came to the conclussion that you will not last very long without some kind of community around you. I also decided that the UK is too densley populated and too urban and that decent to a lower level of sophistication will be quite traumatic. So I decided to keep my house in the city, and buy a "holiday home" in a very remote location in the mountains, off grid, and only accessible by foot. But the most important aspect of my preparation has been to get on with all my neighbours, and try to become part of the local community, because when TSHTF you need people around you that you can count on.

Cheers
I understand fully what you mean about the people around you..
But I moved to this area 11 years ago and being an outsider to the locals it has been very very hard to get to know any of them at all well... it seem everyone is related to someone else o the estate and some of them have really big extended families around here...
apparently I dropped into a hornets nest, where the ASBO AND CERFEW TAGGING are medals of honour..
I have mannaged to befriend one guy who on the surface tries to appear the same as the hard hitting
urban fox

Post by urban fox »

scumbags who roam this area.. and he and his family do have some good qualities. in fact he has just built me the most amazing little wood burning gas bottle stove complete with hot plate and oven...
if i were to help any family around here it would be him and his wife and kids.
but even so something tells me not to tell him of my prepps or the reasons behind them. not even the real reason I needed the wood burner stove... He is a very skilled mechanic/ engineer/ electrical and steel work welder bricky and joiner.. but money is his god!!! he has two multi purpose vehicles and a workshop which would make ferrari druel!!! but at this point i dont trust him enough to tell him anything. he takes the little hints I drop as amusing conversation... aside from him there is no one else around here I would volunteer to help unless I had to.... being a prepper in this kind of area is a very lonely place to be...
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:One group who will defininitely cope better than most during phase 2 are the "Travellers". Whatever views people might have about them (good, bad, or neutral), they have the ideal lifestyle to help each other out in an event like the one we are talking about on this thread. They are mobile, they have large extended families, they have strong links to other like minded people all across the country, they are less reliant on the state to provide them security etc, they have a strong "identity" so wont have the same problems as the majority of us when groups start to be formed (who's in, who's out etc).

There was a program on C4 last night called "My big fat gypsy wedding" and it was interesting to see how they viewed things and how their society worked....and it also might surprise a few people. I think the program was the first of 5.....well worth a watch.
CC there is a difference between gypsies/tinkers and "travellers", personally i have many friends in the "alternative" community and i would trust them a lot further than anyone in the "straight" community!
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

bigpaul wrote:CC there is a difference between gypsies/tinkers and "travellers",
That always used to be the case but these days the term "travellers" or "the travelling community" is used by the government and various pressure groups for all the different types from Roma, Irish, Scottish, New Age, Fairground workers etc. The program is about what we used to call gypsies/tinkers though.
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

I realise that CC, i was talking about "travellers" in a general sense-not just a made up TV programme!!
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Going back to the topic, the program I mentioned (My big fat gypsy wedding) is a Documentary (Pt 1 of 5) about how gypsies live their lives. There has been a few questions recently about groups after tshtf, and it seems to me that the people in the documentary are living in a way we might want/need to after any major event.