Phase 2

How are you preparing
uk survivalist

Re: Phase 2

Post by uk survivalist »

Hi AJC
I live in the country so the urban thing is not to much of a problem. But with a small holding you could bring the animals in at night. What i would like to do is get some land work it for 3 years and then get planning permission to build. Designing a house which with very little work converts into a defendable position, with some sort of underground storage for the animals. Maybe sink a shipping container somewhere on the site.
UKS
AJC

Post by AJC »

Hi UKS, the field planning route is good one but takes time, you got to make a living from it and need to be on site 24/7. free range chickens is probley the best bet, but you need expert advice, most other livestock need so many acres. Market garden do not need 24/7, according to planners
uk survivalist

Post by uk survivalist »

Hi AJC
I was thinking of egg production, on it. Really go for it in an intensive way i can for free range for 3 years and then back off after the house was built and do what i wanted to in the first place self sufficiency.
Plant fast growing hard wood trees for the aga, crops, livestock for food, fish pond for fish etc.
UKS
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

dch, that's a very good point - re forces personnel on bases. Nobody has ever mentioned that before and I think you're right. So maybe living near one - but not too near - would be handy.
People need to change how they think about a lot of things, learn to eat seasonal stuff and eat anything. All birds are edible, and easily caught in the field. Rabbits take up hardly any room and breed like, em, rabbits - while you cant survive solely on rabbit meat you can make a stew go further if you chuck a rabbit in it. And the skins are lovely and soft, if you knew how to clean and cure them they would do for baby bedding.
Get books about how we lived during the war, both UK and abroad... because thousands of people lived through unbelievable situations in Europe and further east.
dch

Post by dch »

don't get me wrong guys (and by that i mean girls as well) i would like the challenge of 90% of the population gone and living in an 18th century conditions, the fact is you can not un-invent all the stuff we have today, picture yourself after a major break down anyone who has a skill to make things easeir would be in demand, just the guy who could get all the freezers working would have enough meat in payment from many greatfull customers that he/she would also be a butcher, and probably end up being the next mr icland, now expand this to all skills and manufacturing jobs.

what we all need to be able to do is fix, make, cook and care, if we go all tunisia it will be rough, but if its death from above, all bets are off.

just 2 p from me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

dch wrote:....anyone who has a skill to make things easeir would be in demand, just the guy who could get all the freezers working would have enough meat in payment from many greatfull customers that he/she would also be a butcher, and probably end up being the next mr icland, now expand this to all skills and manufacturing jobs.
I've been thinking bicycle repair/servicing might be my best option. It's something I do anyway and would only mean I have to move up a couple of gears (sorry) by investing in more tools and resources for my workshop.

Hobo
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hobo that's a brilliant idea 8-)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

dch wrote:if we go all tunisia it will be rough, but if its death from above, all bets are off.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very succinct!
dch

Post by dch »

i guess that the "making do" type of repairs that you see goes on out in the bush in africa would be very in demand, so knowledge that you already have would see you being very populare. :D
janso

Post by janso »

All good comments so far and an area that I touched on in a post on the old forum... CC, can you find it?

If I remember rightly, the majority of users were very much inclined towards staying in their BOL and keeping themselves out of sight! Maybe my initial posting didnt explain itself quite the way intended, but my view was that the only way to 'carry on' was indeed to work alongside trusted and very local likeminded survivors and pull your resources together.

A genuine 'trade' like bicycle repair, ironmongery, farrier would definitely be the trade of the future ;)