No water

How are you preparing
junmist

Re: No water

Post by junmist »

pseudonym wrote:
smoggiebowman wrote:Can i ask. . . If I was to store tap water in reused, sterilised bottles how often would it need to be rotated out?

Water hasn't been given anywhere near enough thought so far.
I keep mine in a cool dark place,and rotate every 6 months. The water tastes fine at that point but I feel happy rotating bi-annualy.
I keep mine in the chest freezer to us up space as we only use that freezer on full at Christmas so just rotate once a year this is also in case the electric goes off the frozen water will help keep the food frozen for longer(hopefully)
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Going ever so slightly off topic I've read on a link somewhere on this forum that water shouldn't be stored in plastic milk bottles although there wasn't any reason given. Is it because they are perhaps meant for single use so are made from a low grade plastic or maybe because the tops are not that secure or is it a cleanliness issue. Seems almost a shame not to use them seeing as to how common they are.
My father used them for all sorts of things from liquid soap, oil, creosote and even petrol with no ill effects but I'd like to know the reason for not using them for water storage.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

All milk bottles are made from the same plastic, HDPE ( look for number " 2 " in the triangle)

The main reason for not re-using them is because the neck of the bottle is quite flexible you can over tighten the lid and cause it to jump the threads.

Stick to pop bottles
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Oh so I did have at least one guess right but thanks for clearing it up FC , interesting chart by the way.
I suppose then as the problem lies in their flimsyness it is really a handlingproblem so they could at least in theory be used if enough care was exercised although it's probably better to follow advice and use mor robust containers.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thats why milk bottles have that plasticy foil lid.
Also pop bottles have to stand quite high pressures without the lid coming off, milk ain't fizzy (at least its not supposed to be :shock: )

I found the chart by doing an image search....Handy though, I think I might print it out

I do re-use milk bottles, I cut the neck off and turn them into paint caddies or the bottom to make scoops and funnels. I dimly remember seeing a How-To for making a berry-picker from one...... Time to unleash my Google-Fu
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
desertman

Post by desertman »

I have sufficient LOL - I also use a Berky water filter daily and have a number of various filter cartridges.
Water storage - I would recommend the harder plastic water containers - hint, if you are storing for longer than 6 months, ensure that you do not
place the storage containers onto floors that are concrete/cement - the chemicals seep through after a time - place them on wooden platforms etc
You can store water for some time, just use a small amount of CLEAR bleach (white bleach with no colouring) about a teaspoon for every 2 gallons or so..this will ensure the water remains drinkable over time - if you can smell bleach when the time comes to drink it, just boil it off for 30 secs' to 1 minute

I have tried over the years to make my own filtering system, including charcoal, sand and moss using a soda bottle etc.
As we live on an 'island' with sea all around us, I would have thought that the P2B would invest in some form of de-salination plant - I live about 200 metres from the sea and am always thinking of ways to de-salinate sea water for personal use...there are a number of methods that can be used.

Daily amounts - I would go for 2 gallons or about 9 litres / day - you would be surprised how much you use for toiletry and personal hygiene apart from drinking the stuff!
B safe B wise B prepared SURVIVE!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

desertman wrote: As we live on an 'island' with sea all around us, I would have thought that the P2B would invest in some form of de-salination plant -
De-salination is possible but generally is pretty energy intensive and costly to do, besides this island of ours does have a decent amount of fresh water falling out of the sky for free, well normally.
Funnily enough I was reading on another forum recently about the increased oil consumption in SaudiArabia and a lot of it was being used for de-salination. The Saudis have a higher water consumption per head than many european countries.
dazz675

Post by dazz675 »

i have about 30 litres of water and rotate every 6 months ... plus a weeks supply of diet coke at anyone time... due to refill my water supply next month
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

desertman wrote:
Daily amounts - I would go for 2 gallons or about 9 litres / day - you would be surprised how much you use for toiletry and personal hygiene apart from drinking the stuff!
One thing's for sure. You'll want more water than you have. But 9 litres a day? You may be able to make savings, and have your preps last longer. Even in the military, physically challenged and cooking out of a hexy stove, 2 litres/day was sufficient. Of course, on exercise, one wasn't too bothered about smelling nice. And, of course, the water available was the kilos of water you carried in your webbing, which kind of put limits on your desires!

Best wishes, 2RM
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
desertman

Post by desertman »

The 9 litres a day storage was the suggested amount you store for an emergency - hopefully you will only use under a half of that - depending on weather and time of year etc - When you have chance record the approximate amount you use at home - be honest and record what each member of the family use..I bet it is more than 9 litres / day LOL
Bear in mind that governments and organisations suggest you store food and water for 3 days - load of BS - I suggest minimum of 10 - 14 days - remember the floods in Gloucester about 5 years ago? It was over a week (and in some places 2 weeks) before local authority assistance reached people and delivered drinking water - when the crunch comes, assume the worst and rely on your own experience and preparation
B safe B wise B prepared SURVIVE!