Gold!

How are you preparing
Bladerunner

Re: Gold!

Post by Bladerunner »

Ask yourself this question.

WHAT WOULD I WANT TO BUY WITH MY GOLD OR SILVER AFTER TSHTF?

Then, instead of buying gold or silver, buy those things. Or split it 50/50. Spend 50% on gold and silver and 50% on whatever it is you want.

We don't know what sort of SHTF situation we might face, or even if we will face one, but it might be possible that bartering is not part of it.

For me, food is the most important thing. As long as I have a roof over my head, a way to purify water and enough food for me and my family, I am a happy bunny. Everything else is icing.

If gangs take control of the black market it might not be a wise idea to do any business with them. They might just kill you and take your stuff or, follow you home (if they are clever) and then kill you, rape your family, kill your family, and then take your stuff. Aren't I being cheerful today.

Anyway, all I am saying is if you have enough stuff stashed away you might not even need to barter/trade. And you can't get much more greyman than staying indoors.

Personally, if I was going to go down the precious metal route I would go with silver because, as previous posters have said, a gold ingot aint gonna be much use if you want to buy a loaf of bread.

However, I think I might opt for the bog roll investment. I think it is one of those things that most people will not think about and after a week of using the daily express they would sell their granny for a roll of kitten soft.

Be lucky (and wipe on, wipe off, Danielson)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Back in 1999 my Dad got terminal Cancer. I knew he collected antiques,but I did nt know he collected precious metals. Over the years he had stashed gold and silver(jewellery and coins). It was during the last weeks in the Hospice he gave some brilliant advice. One was to take more holidays. We did this!

The other was to stash precious metals as could be afforded. He left me some,and I bought as I could. And I did.
Now my Dad was not a rich stockbroker or banker. He was a Binman. For 29 yrs. Before that a Coalman. Both honest jobs. I took his advice and today it paid off.
Jan and me sold that gold over the last few weeks. With that we paid off our mortgage!!!!!! TODAY!

Thanks Dad! Love ya! Best advice a dying man could give to his son.

To get back on topic ,gold is good to buy big stuff I reckon. Soap and toothpaste buys ordinary stuff etc.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Jan and me sold that gold over the last few weeks. With that we paid off our mortgage!!!!!! TODAY!
That's good news Jansman - a huge weight off your mind and one thing less to worry about. Congrats!
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

well done Jman, use gold to pay off debt, what better use?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Magic. Just magic, really wise amazing man, you are lucky to have had such a great dad Jansman. So he took all that worry off your shoulders... lovely. And remember that love never dies, he hasn't gone far away.
scotspreps

Post by scotspreps »

A couple of thoughts here:

1) look at the historical precedents: gold and silver have been accepted mediums of exchange for millenia. Throughout that time there has always been the problem of identifying if the item is real and of agreeing an exchange based on amount for the item required. This was resolved on the basis of appearance, hardness, weight-size, etc.
2) Basic exchange values have been identified and largely observed. Where the item being traded for was of lesser value than the item to be 'bought', a shaving/paring/clipping of a a bar/coin/etc has been made and used on the basis of it's weight in the metal or its division of the coin/bar/etc.

In past times, and possibly future times, there were/are opportunities for con-men to use lower value items e.g. fake coins or low quality metal, in trade, but it becomes known and they do not live/prosper in the market for long. Undoubtedly it would take some time for most people to become competent in the use and trading of any item of trade other than the paper currency with which they are familiar, but those who initially are most likely to have/be savvy in items to trade are also those who are most likely to know, and recognise the knowledge, or otherwise, of those who would trade with them in precious metals, or petrol certificates, or whatever.

Gold and silver have little intrinsic value in a total itshtf scenario, but in the majority of lesser total collapses or during the recovery, if used with intelligence and care, history shows that they have their place.

By all means look to the immediate requirements of shelter, water, food, health, and security first, but once you have done that, don't discard what experience throughout the world and the centuries have shown to be a important element in the continuing welfare of you and you family i.e. a recognised and persisting medium of exchange.

In the UK, and many other areas, gold full/half/quarter sovereigns are/were easily recognised items of value. They are of consistent size/weight/design and the combination of these factors make them relatively easy to check in terms of authenticity. Other gold coins share this attribute to some extent but might not be as familiar to many traders in UK. Other gold/silver items, even if hallmarked, are more questionable and therefore less acceptable/valuable for normal trade. The current rush of gold buyers on the market tend to offer only scrap i.e. minimal quality, value on any item that you offer for sale, even if it is hallmarked/identifiable as of higher gold content value.

Most of the objections raised to trading in precious metals arise because of people's unfamiliarity in this market now, because it is not something they have ever had to deal with. In any situation where the value of paper currency or other 'normal' mediums of exchange lose acceptance, that might change very quickly. An understanding of how to identify and value recognised items of exchange, e.g. precious metals/gems/etc and the basic equipment to do so, are therefore potentially very useful and valuable resources for any Prepper.
Chef

Post by Chef »

;)
Last edited by Chef on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Magic. Just magic, really wise amazing man, you are lucky to have had such a great dad Jansman. So he took all that worry off your shoulders... lovely. And remember that love never dies, he hasn't gone far away.
Lil,he is never far from my mind. He taught me so many things. He could make money from nothing. What a bloke!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
coulesy

Post by coulesy »

Firstly i 100% agree with scotspreps history is our best teacher.

I stock up on two different types of items to barter/trade with firstly

precious metals/wonga

I have euros/dollers/sterling-now i know that money may not and proberly wont be used once the SHTF but i live near an airport and have lots of friends that work as cabin crew so its cost me nothing to ask for their pocket change etc i would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

I also have various coins that have silver as their main component these are not legal tender anymore but once again as they were free whats the harm. The silver value varies with the coins but i have done the home work and some are in the 70% range.

Misc trade items

I have matches, small bottles of whiskey, TP,sugar sachets, coffee, chocolate, tampons, shampoo sachets, tabbacco etc you get the idea.

Overall having something to trade weather that be money,silver,gold,a barter item or even a skill is better than not having anything as long as you can use or sell what you stock up on there is no harm in buying gold or bottles of whiskey. Anyway if you are at the stage in your prepping that you are looking at having items to barter i.e your food/water/shelter/security issues are sorted your already onto a winner so best of luck and buy wisely.
tfish

Post by tfish »

Does anyone know where I can buy gold sovereigns on the high street? There some great mail order sites but I want to buy in cash locally.