Gold!

How are you preparing
Triple_sod

Re: Gold!

Post by Triple_sod »

Frufru wrote:I've no interest in keeping gold or silver as part of my prepping.

All my preps are centred around what is practical and consumable - as I could not consume gold and I cannot 'do' anything with it then it is no use to me. Besides, I couldn't afford to buy gold!

Keeping an amount of cash to be used only for emergencies is essential IMO - But I always end up spending it :roll: Must try harder on that score!
Looking back, for me buying gold was sort of an 'on the fence' form of prepping, at that point in my life I would have never dreamed of spending that much money on food ect. There was always that niggling fear I suppose that one day I'd wake up and think 'this is all a load of 'paranoid b@llocks', I want my money back!' I'd made the classic mistake of pinning everything on whether or not 'the big one' was just around the corner, all or nothing. Having a serious girlfriend at the time probably also played a part.....the old 'how you you get your significant other on board with prepping'....convince them its some other, 'socially acceptable' activity :lol:

(I bet there's a lot of that goes on....only have to watch an episode of 'grand design' all those 'eco homes' built into the side of hills, wind turbine that put them 50k over budget....no one gives that much of a sh*t about polar bears.....)
jansman

Post by jansman »

IF the World Economy stabilises and the price of precious metals slides downwards , then I would buy it. Earlier this year we cashed in ALL our savings and a load of gold jewellery that was bought when we had a wealthy spell in our lives,so that we could pay the mortgage off for good .I couldn't tell you what profit we made on the gold ,but we certainly did not lose. It was tangible wealth that could be cashed when needed.

Right now though I would put cash into easily stored food ( I have) and keep liquid cash on hand- but that is just my opinion for what it is worth.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

Bump for this and maybe to offer an opener into a discussion regarding the state of Western Currencies and the Move towards The East - also Global Gold Hoarding by certain nations.

So for those that are interested in such dialogue , where do we see Gold and Silver going with certain countries stockpiling it to back new Global Reserve Currencies.

Its true I don't see Gold or Silver as exceptionally high on a survival based Maslow's needs Pyramid , but once you have adequate water , food , and other preps in place it does make sense to look at alternative investments and try to read the ( global ) market.

But for the last decade we have experience near historically low Interest Rates , Massive Quantitive Easing and much jiggery pokery other the western world -anyone else starting to sweat here yet?

So , for the financially savvy/aware/interested preppy types -" Gold - further thoughts? "
shocker

Post by shocker »

This is a subject which has vexed me somewhat over the last couple of years...I have swung one way then the other but its pretty academic as I have no spare funds to invest. The main problem I see is the fungibility of gold in a breakdown situation...but I am still undecided
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

shocker wrote:This is a subject which has vexed me somewhat over the last couple of years...I have swung one way then the other but its pretty academic as I have no spare funds to invest. The main problem I see is the fungibility of gold in a breakdown situation...but I am still undecided

Ok , so if you did have spare funds available would you choose to ONLY see a complete Societal break down as the only singular event worth making preparations for ?

OR do you think its far more likely we will experience more financial roller coaster rides before you retire or before the end of the world?

The end scenario does not need to be total all consuming blackness , but can be moderate shades of Grey.

Ref Fungibility , Quarter Sov's are about £70 a pop - which is quite a small amount for barter purposes.
shocker

Post by shocker »

TeeDee wrote:
shocker wrote:This is a subject which has vexed me somewhat over the last couple of years...I have swung one way then the other but its pretty academic as I have no spare funds to invest. The main problem I see is the fungibility of gold in a breakdown situation...but I am still undecided

Ok , so if you did have spare funds available would you choose to ONLY see a complete Societal break down as the only singular event worth making preparations for ?

OR do you think its far more likely we will experience more financial roller coaster rides before you retire or before the end of the world?

The end scenario does not need to be total all consuming blackness , but can be moderate shades of Grey.

Ref Fungibility , Quarter Sov's are about £70 a pop - which is quite a small amount for barter purposes.
Good points all, thank you for some more food for thought....though I am for intents and purposes retired already, somewhat earlier than I had planned
jansman

Post by jansman »

TeeDee wrote:

My last post on this thread was five years ago.stuff has changed.I have always bought scrap gold,on and off.When times are tough its a good time to buy,and gold is creeping up again, along with silver.

In short,( for me) precious metals work.For instance, my silver coin purchases last year have realised 9%,and that ain't too shabby.That percentage is not on an electronic entry on a stock market screen.I can touch it. Of course,values do vary,both up and down.Generally speaking though PMs hold a steady course and always bounce back.

So what about Real World applications?

My Mother's latest husband recently died.He was an antique dealer and did rather well ,to put it mildly! One thing he did,along with an offshore account,was to purchase gold and silver coins on his journey towards retirement. He never bought dear to sell cheap,believe me! His thinking was that in retirement he could sell the said coins for profit, and incur zero income tax.That will go for the 20,000 Quid's worth of gold jewellery he bought for mum too! Mind you,I doubt she'll get to that point tbh.Its part of my plan too.

So is it worth investing in? For me yes.Far better than 'The Stockmarket' for me as I trust my own instincts rather than a parasite advisor who takes a cut.I have to trust them on pensions and that's enough of a gamble for me!

Is it for SHTF only? Nah! Its for the times I might be poor.And there have been many. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Despite what I have said, I do keep around an ounce of physical gold and bits of silver for emergencies. A couple of years ago my mrs weighed in her stash of silver to get us out of a hole. I was considering the subject from a different viewpoint in my earlier comment.
jansman

Post by jansman »

shocker wrote:Despite what I have said, I do keep around an ounce of physical gold and bits of silver for emergencies. A couple of years ago my mrs weighed in her stash of silver to get us out of a hole. I was considering the subject from a different viewpoint in my earlier comment.
Brilliant.Always good to have backup for the tough times.

Robert Frost.

Me.
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

So anyone have any views or ideas on the various rising global super powers holding onto and amassing large quantity of Gold?