Not how but WHY ?

How are you preparing
lisaloolibell

Re: Not how but WHY ?

Post by lisaloolibell »

Northern Raider wrote:
lisaloolibell wrote:
smileyt wrote:Blimey lisaloolibell, that is pretty scary.

I think I prep 'just in case'. Also because I don't trust the local council to get me out of a scrape.
Everything changed in less than 24 hours. There was so much damage, the council lost their offices and all their paperwork, all the buses were flooded, emergency services were affected it was amazing what a bit of water can do.
Do you remember the guy on Lok North asking " Which idiot cose to put the police station in a flood zone ?"
yeah and which idiot chose to move the sub station to lower ground where it was flooded!
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

I dont even think about them reacting to a national disaster if they cant deal with a bit of snow what chance do we have. Ive always known in that situation we're on our own.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Northern Raider wrote:
lisaloolibell wrote:I dont even think about them reacting to a national disaster if they cant deal with a bit of snow what chance do we have. Ive always known in that situation we're on our own.
That is the difference between us and sheeple, they believe the government will feed, house, care for and rescue them, we dont.
I also don't want to be 'beholden' to anyone, especially not the power that be. What would they want in return for 'helping' you and your family WTSHTF? Your daughter................
(My biggest fear :( )
preppingsu
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

This country is overpopulated ( hell, the whole planet is overpopulated) and that will be the reason for the demise of the human being, they will breed themselves out of existence especially the chav's! the oil is running out, china and india want more and more of it, most of our gas comes from Russia and all they have to do is turn of the tap and no gas! all we need is another "winter or summer of discontent" from the unions and we'll be up s#it creek without a paddle. :(
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

A while back, maybe a few years or so, a single phrase got stuck in my head: Expect the Worst, be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

I don't even know who said it! But it struck a chord with me. And being the type who would rather go down fighting than give in, I began preparing myself for the worst. And I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't happened. Yet.

People say I'm a pessimist. I say I'm an Optimist. They usually come back with something like "It'll never happen" and I come back with "The Romans probably thought it'd never happen"

Evem my own mother thinks I'm a pessimist. Then she'll go on about rather hugging the bomb than surviving it. This usually leaves me very confused about what her point was to begin with.

Oh, and I don't trust the government one bit. They DON'T have our best interests in mind. I just wish the Sheeple would realize this.
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

for me its a simple case of.... "id rather have and not need, then need and not have"
i guess its impossible to stock up for a lifetime of survival but with our prepping skills and knowledge at least it gives us a head start

Lone Wolf
urban fox

Post by urban fox »

I am happy that the sheeple dont get it at all!! cos the lovely people who live in the same area as me would prep very differently from the way we do!!!
I would like to be able to help everyone I could but some people dont want it!!!
this is a sad state of affairs indeed....
I prep cos I know times are going to get much harder, and when it comes down to it!! whatever the situation which may arise beit pandemic flood war terrorism or starvation we will at some point be on our own...
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

I've only been prepping with any seriousness for a couple of years after meeting someone from a bushcrafting forum and finding him a prepper. At first I was dubious saying I'd not much time for the beans, bunkers and bullets brigade, but he assured me his idea of prepping wasn't like that at all. This coincided with the bird flu worries and discovering a friend who works for a pharmaceutical company had been told to gather two weeks supplies of food and water by their company for a serious outbreak. That got the Mrs onboard for awhile.

Saying all that, I guess I was brought up to be fairly self-reliant. As I mentioned in my intro. I was a kid during the '70s three day week and it's rolling power cuts, so having something to light, heat and cook when the power goes off has allways been catered for.

Now it's more about making sure we're even more removed from a reliance on conventional services though I'd not say I was actively preparing for TEOTWAWKI.

H
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

stumbled upon this site a few weeks ago and am now prepping because it is absolutely the right thing to do. i have had allotments and a few chickens for a number of years, to bring me closer to nature my only religion.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Huorn wrote: Now it's more about making sure we're even more removed from a reliance on conventional services though I'd not say I was actively preparing for TEOTWAWKI.

H
I dont think any of us on here are focused on TEOTWAWKI, most of us are simply general purpose preppers, but we all know how vulnerable and interreliant every aspect of society is. So if one part failed say grain or oil,or the stock exchange the whole lot could Oh So easily come crashing down.
Teotwawki is an end effect of a mix of many other problems such as economic meltdown, worthless dollar, crop failure, oil shortages or even this ****ing winter going on to long.
Dead right!Teotwaki could be a job loss,illness,etc.Having resources gives you choices.When we were snowed in and the local shops were stripped,we just chucked another log in the stove.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.