Not how but WHY ?

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Not how but WHY ?

Post by diamond lil »

WHY are you prepping ? What's your reasons and your goals ?
Magz

Re: Not how but WHY ?

Post by Magz »

I do it coz I believe the time is coming ,when the masses will be totally controlled by the powers that be, we are slowly but surely having our rights to choose and our freedom taken away from us, I believe that what has already happened, what is happening now, and what will happen in the future, has all been planned, and when the day comes that we have no rights at all, no choice but to follow and do as were told or else! I want to be able to cut myself off from the system and survive without it.
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

Im prepping because when the city I live in was flooded in 2005 we lost power at 5am by 10am we were cut off from the other side of town by 11am Aldi was closed and Morrisons soon followed the food in their refrigerators and freezers was spoiling. Only Asda remained open as they had a generator but were only selling candles and gas canisters and bottled water which disappeared fairly quickly and there was no access to cash machines. The police station was flooded as was the fire station so they were out of action and the councils emergency plans were in the basement of our civic centre which you guessed it were flooded so they had to send in a Diver. By teatime the police were patrolling certain areas of the city because of looting, many police officers weren't turning in for work at all and there were rumours in my area that a group of people were on the prowl to see what they could take. The next junction of the motorway from us was also closed due to flooding so we couldnt get to other members of our family, we only had one route out of the city which was the A74 to Gretna. We had no heating, no hot water, and were cooking with tealights. Thank god I had a passion for candles.

smileyt

Post by smileyt »

Blimey lisaloolibell, that is pretty scary.

I think I prep 'just in case'. Also because I don't trust the local council to get me out of a scrape.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Apart from enjoying prepping, I just dont like having to rely on others to live. I also dont believe big business or the government have my best interests at heart. I dont believe the government will look out for me when tshtf, I dont want to end up in the local gym/stadium with a load of chavs in an emergency, I dont want to be at the mercy of some cold war relic union muppet calling strikes for political motives, I think the world is over populated, water/food/oil will all become more scarce causing more terrorism and wars,........I could go on for another hour or 2 :lol:

I do want to be able to protect and feed my family and live my life without having every bit of it dictated to me by a bunch of unelected bureaucratic muppets.

CC
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

smileyt wrote:Blimey lisaloolibell, that is pretty scary.

I think I prep 'just in case'. Also because I don't trust the local council to get me out of a scrape.
Everything changed in less than 24 hours. There was so much damage, the council lost their offices and all their paperwork, all the buses were flooded, emergency services were affected it was amazing what a bit of water can do.
Beards

Post by Beards »

I first stumbled upon 'prepping' when I was searching for information regarding wilderness survival. And the more I read about 'What may happen', the more I thought "woah!" at having me eyes opened.
The more I read, the more the pieces came together, about being "just a number" to those "further up" and the fact they don't really care, aslong as "the numbers" stay in their cow sheds and keep giving us milk (taxes,etc).

I also enjoy prepping, having an aim "just in case", learning new things and planning incase thing's go wrong (of which they will!).
The mrs, think's I'm a weirdo, while she's talking about things that don't effect her life, e.g. X-factor/Boringnation street/etc, but I do feel in the back of her mind she agree's, but doesn't want to think about it.
Magz

Post by Magz »

Years ago I lived in North Wales, beautiful place, I could a chuck a stone and hit the sea, few months after I moved back to London, the sea wall broke, and coz the land was lower, the water came in for a mile before it found it's level, my sister in-law lived in a bungalow and didn't have time to get out, so she climbed on top of the wardrobe,and prayed, the water came in 6 foot, it was really scary, my other sister in-law (daft bat) was walking home from work, when she noticed the water coming down the road, so she ran into a field? :lol: and had to be air lifed out, but no way could I live in a flood area, I would never sleep, the 1 good thing about here, is I'm about 185ft above sea level.
skinnyj

Post by skinnyj »

For me, it's just common sense.

I mainly prep for short term interruptions to fuel / power / food / work, rather than complete global Armageddon. I live on a small holding and have sufficient food, livestock and equipment that if all went tits up, we could ramp up production and become self sufficient fairly quickly. While society jogs along, it makes more sense for me to do what I do as it brings in a good living, and allows the purchasing of better equipment, animals, etc.

I am naturally suspicious of the state and those who advocate its ever increasing size and scope. I have contracted to the public sector, or had to work along side public sector workers at three time in my life, once in the early 1990's, once again in the late 1990's, and a couple of years ago. Nothing has changed, the unions are still in control, and many of the workers all seem bitter and twisted. I don't want myself or my family to have to rely on those folks, thank you very much.

Mainly, my preps consist of 'smoothing out' blips in society. For instance, my 5 day BOB was useful last week as I could travel to see clients safe in the knowledge that I could live out of my vehicle comfortably all week. As it happened, I was able to rely on friends for accommodation and my BOB meant I have nice clean pants and socks, shirts, etc despite not returning home all week. But in a worst case scenarion, I would have been ok (although it was a usefull test of how I could improve it).

We have enough Red Diesel to last us between 2 - 3 years on the smallholding, insulating us from supply or price fluctuations, that sort of thing. My hobbies (shooting, fishing, small holding, making and fixing stuff) can all be put to good use if TSHTF, but I'm not actively expecting or waiting for the end of civilization as we know it.

I guess I'm just a country boy at heart, who likes to be left alone, and thinks it's just good common sense to be prepared.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

I am relatively new to prepping compaired to some here but I do this to ensure I can look after my family 'whatever happens'!
Our area was hit with floods in 2007, heavy rain, rivers burst etc etc. Tewkesbury (as always) was worst hit and it included the local water treatment/pump house which fed water to the majors towns. Within 24 hrs water had been turned off. (We were very lucky as ours comes from elswhere so we kept our supply) But it was terrible. Water Bowsers were placed in streets each day but some were being stolen. Supermarkets as far as Bristol ran out of bottled water. The night it happened people were trappped on the M5 all night as it also flooded. Some of our friends houses were flooded (we live up a hill - if it reaches us we need an ark!!!!)
But this isnn't the only reason - the economy, terroist attack etc etc are huge concerns and I want to be prepared.
But I had also had too many times when we had run out of loo roll or essential food (bread) and I got fed up with late night trips to the supermarket!!!!!! :D
We grow our own food as mush as possible and have chooks for eggs so thats less in the 'supermarkets' pocket (another reason - I want to be independent of the corporations!)
We have a multifuel stove as heating oil is far too expensive. Would love an Aga to cook on.

I would love to have a more basic way of life - less relilent on the powers that be.
I hope that makes sense. preppingsu.
I