What do people prep for

How are you preparing
cumbriasurvivalist

What do people prep for

Post by cumbriasurvivalist »

Are people on here preparing for the end of life as we know it or are some just preparing for power cuts,being snowed in etc?Personaly im preparing for TSHTF scenario. Kind regards dfw.
PeteM

Re: What do people prep for

Post by PeteM »

We should all think about the likelihood of types of events.

I don't live very far from London and while nuclear war isn't an immediate threat a dirty bomb is a possibility. I'm too far for any fallout to affect me but a mass panic might come my way.

A zombie apocalypse? Can't see that one happening (though with a Spurs fan living next door I'll know how to recognise them!)

The immediate threat in my view is economic. Governments and central banks are continuing to debase currencies and state debts are contiuing to rise. Possible immediate outcomes are currency collapse and runaway (price inflation). Exchange some of your cash for real assets (gold, other precious metals, oil, food).

In the longer term I have no confidence of the state to manage energy policy in any sensible way, so in the med/long term a generator could well be handy.

My higher risk events are economic, weather-related events, local events (water/power going out), a dirty bomb panic, things like that.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

There is a similar thread elsewhere, but from my point of view I base it all on risk. The likelyhood of a powercut, fuel shortage, water shortage, evacution, etc far outweighs the chances of of some apocolyptic event so that is what concerns me most and is what I prep for.

The plus side of prepping for the smaller events though is that the preps are virtually the same as for the larger, less likely events so it's a win - win situation
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

I'm not really going for end of the world stuff - more loss of power/food/water or being stuck inside for a long period of time. To me, that covers most things that are likely and if I can stock enough supplies for 3 months - and longer if I get to that point - then that'll have to do. If it's not enough and the world does end I may have to improvise :?

DD
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

I prep for the following, probably in the order they will happen: fuel shortages, power cuts, civil unrest, Terrorism and finally "end times".
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Anything. Be flexible :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Look up Cody Lundin.He says it's all about core-body temperature.That is regulated by water ,shelter and food.Everything else is gravy.Look at Somalia right now-water ,food,shelter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
CardiffGuy

Post by CardiffGuy »

For me, its utilities going off, fuel shortages, unemployment, social unrest, terrorism - you get the picture on that one.

At the bottom of my list is End of the world stuff and my reason for this is when its my time its my time, prepping isnt going to help me if an asteroid/comet hits earth, Aliens abduct me :tinfoil or if God himself comes down and tells me to say goodbye.

Us preppers are a different breed compared to the people who continue to live with blinkers on or in denial thinking things will be provided to them. The more we can educate the masses so to speak(by not baffling them by starting with end of the world stuff) the better I think society maybe.

In the last 3 to 4 months, I have managed to get almost all of my family starting to prep in one form or another, the most stubborn of all will require shock tactics to get them moving.

Just my £2 on the matter.

CardiffGuy
Ian

Post by Ian »

I like to be comfortable. Whatever happens, loss of power, flood, etc. I aim to be able to eat, drink, be warm and entertained.
Teapot

Post by Teapot »

I like to be aware of what's going on in the world and what's going on here... so that I can try to prepare for what could happen... whatever that may be. I think in some ways, being prepared mentally (by making yourself aware of what's going on around you) is just as important as stocking up on food and water etc. because then when something happens you're mentally prepared for it as well and are less likely to fall into a heap of panic or whatever.

So, what do I prep for... I guess it's anything that could happen that results in me being unable to get the basics to live.