Non-electric lighting ?

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Non-electric lighting ?

Post by diamond lil »

With the prices going up, we are looking at ways here to cut down on electricity. We have it down to around a fiver a week but I still think its too much for what we use. What kind of thing would you use in the house for lighting? I was thinking of the back of the house (in case the neighbours have a whip-round because they think we canny pay the bill lol) - the kitchen and bathroom. Some sort of light that we could leave on in the evenings to save even a tiny bit of elect ... ideas anybody?
Ian

Re: Non-electric lighting ?

Post by Ian »

Have a look at Aladdin lamps. Expensive new but not too bad a price second hand. They are quiet, give a very bright light and are frugal on paraffin. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Used for years by my grandparents living without electricity.

I have had good dealings with John Moncrieff Ltd. in Scotlandwells for spares should you need to refurbish one.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

How about Storm lanterns? saw some on ebay for £7 each.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Off to lookat both of these now, many thanks :mrgreen: I know it sounds mean but it is my goal to cut down all dependence on elect as far as poss, as its not going to get any cheaper. Plus we get powercuts every time a coos scratches her back end on a pole. And my house is full of halogen Ikea spotlights with 4-5-6 per fitting.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote:Off to lookat both of these now, many thanks :mrgreen: I know it sounds mean but it is my goal to cut down all dependence on elect as far as poss, as its not going to get any cheaper. Plus we get powercuts every time a coos scratches her back end on a pole. And my house is full of halogen Ikea spotlights with 4-5-6 per fitting.
£5.00 a week is pretty good though.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It isn't a lot itsy - but is only for the F/freezer, WM on twice a week, bread maker, TV on a few hours a night, and the computer.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

diamond lil wrote:It isn't a lot itsy - but is only for the F/freezer, WM on twice a week, bread maker, TV on a few hours a night, and the computer.
Could always look at a solar charger/battery type thing for some items (do you have a laptop or desk top?). Of course solar power is not my area of expertise and I have no idea what I'm talking about but would really like to know for my own uses too :D .
hobo

Post by hobo »

preppingsu wrote:
diamond lil wrote:It isn't a lot itsy - but is only for the F/freezer, WM on twice a week, bread maker, TV on a few hours a night, and the computer.
Could always look at a solar charger/battery type thing for some items (do you have a laptop or desk top?). Of course solar power is not my area of expertise and I have no idea what I'm talking about but would really like to know for my own uses too :D .
What Su said! We only use solar panel-charged lanterns in the bedrooms. Trying to cut down electric to a minimum - doing it a little at-a-time.

Hobo
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Yeah but that's still good. I pay more than that and I don't have a posh bread maker! :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

*trying to look posh*
Got a desktop now, the laptop hinge died and I traded it in for this. I'm glad it isn't just me who is trying to cut down. This is WAR! :twisted:
Meant to get solar phone chargers, need to do that.