What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Lemne

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Lemne »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:53 pm Has anyone tried spiralising their veg before drying?
I think it would be hard to store spiralised.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been outside today in preparation for the heavy rain forecast over the next few days. .

Guttering checked and gully's flushed out, lawn aeration done (not the ideal time for the grass but it's sodden so will increase rate of infiltration and increased surface area will help it dry out a bit quicker if we get any drying days )

The land round the UK is soaked from snow / rain

So it's well worth keeping an eye on the forecast from Tuesday to Thursday
Screenshot_20210117-214101.png

And next weekend is looking very interesting :shock:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Built the greenhouse this weekend and very happy with it too! New gate posts are in ready for the new and much more secure gate, but just discovered a leak in the roof. Couldnt have prepared for that except by being fortunate enough to have a bit of an emergency fund.
Growing old disgracefully!
PeachyPrep

Post by PeachyPrep »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 pm Been outside today in preparation for the heavy rain forecast over the next few days. .

Guttering checked and gully's flushed out, lawn aeration done (not the ideal time for the grass but it's sodden so will increase rate of infiltration and increased surface area will help it dry out a bit quicker if we get any drying days )

I think weather worries me more than a lot of things, it’s just out of anyone’s control..
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PeachyPrep wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 pm Been outside today in preparation for the heavy rain forecast over the next few days. .

I think weather worries me more than a lot of things, it’s just out of anyone’s control..
But you can mitigate how it affects you :D

Simple things make a huge difference sorting out leaky shed roofs protects your stuff inside it ...

Fixing leaky gutters reduces damp in the house

Checking the car over to ensure wipers are good and tyres have decent tread

And at the moment have a plan in place incase it gets bad eg flooding where to put the car... The ability to move stuff upstairs etc

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:28 pm
PeachyPrep wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 pm

But you can mitigate how it affects you :D

Simple things make a huge difference sorting out leaky shed roofs protects your stuff inside it ...

Fixing leaky gutters reduces damp in the house

Checking the car over to ensure wipers are good and tyres have decent tread

And at the moment have a plan in place incase it gets bad eg flooding where to put the car... The ability to move stuff upstairs etc
We live in an area prone ( we are legendary) to flooding. Always has.Even Roman excavations showed that they built where it didn’t flood! Being born and bred here, we bought a house on the hill. Right now ,the valley is flooded and the next village is close to being cut off. When that happens it’s a bad one. The flood wardens have been knocking doors where water is rarely seen , telling them to get sandbagged up. Colleague of my wife just called asking if we have sandbags ( we do) and could she ‘ borrow’ them. She lives on a floodplain ffs! I told my wife No. Wickes sell them,buy some, like I did. On top of that, the lights are flickering, and it seems half the village is in the dark right now. The time for learning to swim ain’t when the boat is sinking.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:54 am [
We live in an area prone ( we are legendary) to flooding. Always has.Even Roman excavations showed that they built where it didn’t flood! Being born and bred here, we bought a house on the hill. Right now ,the valley is flooded and the next village is close to being cut off. When that happens it’s a bad one. The flood wardens have been knocking doors where water is rarely seen , telling them to get sandbagged up. Colleague of my wife just called asking if we have sandbags ( we do) and could she ‘ borrow’ them. She lives on a floodplain ffs! I told my wife No. Wickes sell them,buy some, like I did. On top of that, the lights are flickering, and it seems half the village is in the dark right now. The time for learning to swim ain’t when the boat is sinking.

Lol at "borrow" also guessing she want them filling and dropping off and laying as well :lol:
No one seems to be able to think for themselves or spend wisely until the monster is at the door step ;)

Got my flood preps moved to a more Accessible place in the shed pumps got hose attached ready to use with extra hose ready with jubliee clip set to near enough correct diameter sand bags and shovel is handy and sand available to fill most ... Duel layer prep the builders merchant 20kg bags are holding the trampoline down to stop it blowing away

Cars full of fuel on my way to work as it wasn't raining here (won't be the first time fuel station tanks have taken in water

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:01 am
jansman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:54 am [

Lol at "borrow" also guessing she want them filling and dropping off and laying as well :lol:
No one seems to be able to think for themselves or spend wisely until the monster is at the door step ;)

Got my flood preps moved to a more Accessible place in the shed pumps got hose attached ready to use with extra hose ready with jubliee clip set to near enough correct diameter sand bags and shovel is handy and sand available to fill most ... Duel layer prep the builders merchant 20kg bags are holding the trampoline down to stop it blowing away
Filled and laid is about right mate! :lol: I see it’s rough up your way too.Just come back from hospital with Mrs J, and there’s low grade flooding where I’ve never seen it before. Getting to work tomorrow will be interesting as every road seems to be underwater.

Hope you get off light Andy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I hope all that mitigation works well (or isn't needed!) Stay safe, you guys :)

PeachyPrep, you've only just joined, I don't know if you're in an area that's likely to flood, but do what you can with what jansman and Yorkshire Andy are saying. If you go to the Met Office page about flood warnings, they have a link to "what to do in a flood" here goes https://flood-warning-information.servi ... ional-view

There's nothing at that level down here in the south, "just" a yellow alert.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Echoing what Arzosah says.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.