What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Arzosah »

I thought I'd updated all my key preps last month, but yesterday I found another two stashes of keys :( I know that sounds ridiculous. When I moved here, I ended up replacing the front door and the back door and half of the windows as well. And putting a lock on the brick shed. Plus I have the keys for two family members (though one of those has just updated their front door too ... life keeps happening!).

I only have *one* copy of the key to the newest of the double glazing - I'll have to get that seen to, after the pandemic calms a bit. Otherwise, I have multiple copies of all the keys to my own house, plus a few little keyring-prep type things - a seatbelt cutter, a survival whistle, two little screwdrivers, and a one inch spyderco knife. A keyring-sized dalek may be involved :lol: the last bit, which I've yet to do, is that I've unpacked a couple of those little keyring containers that hold a couple of aspirin - I'm going to disinfect the innards, let it dry and pack them full of as much aspirin as they can carry.

The main key stash is on a lanyard, hanging by the bed - excellent for grabbing in case of a house fire. This has all taken me about two hours - I wanted today to be a rest day!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm I thought I'd updated all my key preps last month, but yesterday I found another two stashes of keys :( I know that sounds ridiculous. When I moved here, I ended up replacing the front door and the back door and half of the windows as well. And putting a lock on the brick shed. Plus I have the keys for two family members (though one of those has just updated their front door too ... life keeps happening!).

I only have *one* copy of the key to the newest of the double glazing - I'll have to get that seen to, after the pandemic calms a bit. Otherwise, I have multiple copies of all the keys to my own house, plus a few little keyring-prep type things - a seatbelt cutter, a survival whistle, two little screwdrivers, and a one inch spyderco knife. A keyring-sized dalek may be involved :lol: the last bit, which I've yet to do, is that I've unpacked a couple of those little keyring containers that hold a couple of aspirin - I'm going to disinfect the innards, let it dry and pack them full of as much aspirin as they can carry.

The main key stash is on a lanyard, hanging by the bed - excellent for grabbing in case of a house fire. This has all taken me about two hours - I wanted today to be a rest day!
I keep all my vital keys on a lanyard too. At night I leave them on the top step of the landing. In the event of fire,I know where they are. It helps me in the morning at stupid o’clock too. I always keep my work clothes in the bathroom too.It saves disturbing the household, and in an emergency, my cargo trousers have all my EDC ready to go. As long as I have keys to access the workshop and storeroom, we are good to go.

Keys are a good prep.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm
I keep all my vital keys on a lanyard too. At night I leave them on the top step of the landing. In the event of fire,I know where they are. It helps me in the morning at stupid o’clock too. I always keep my work clothes in the bathroom too.It saves disturbing the household, and in an emergency, my cargo trousers have all my EDC ready to go. As long as I have keys to access the workshop and storeroom, we are good to go.

Keys are a good prep.
That's good to know, jansman. I got the idea after I saw that article by Selco about layering, so one layer is the lanyard and a pouch on my belt. Haven't sorted the pouch yet, I disinfected it and it's drying out for a while (very thick suede, that I blitzed).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm I thought I'd updated all my key preps last month, but yesterday I found another two stashes of keys :( I know that sounds ridiculous. When I moved here, I ended up replacing the front door and the back door and half of the windows as well. And putting a lock on the brick shed. Plus I have the keys for two family members (though one of those has just updated their front door too ... life keeps happening!).

Keys are a good prep.

One "must have" prep for my key bunches are these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NITE ... SwnQhXojjM

Titrium glow stick key rings about 40mm by 10mm dia

Yes it's been battered and the plastic case has a crack :oops:
Screenshot_20210122-222458.png
Most of "our" keys have them on at a glance in the dark I know which keys are which but on the hall step you can see them in an instant added bonus as you'll be aware from the old mod compass / watches / beta lights / fishing lures no battery needed for a low level light that doesn't need charging like standard glow in the dark

Screenshot_20210122-222351.png
The green and purple are particularly bright as you can see Vs the white ...

Also handy if I loose a set of keys wait till dark and walk round the house with the lights out :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

They look fascinating! It's probably higher tech than I want to go - I have several little single AA torches, and that would definitely be part of my equipment. Plus, sorry Andy, but I googled the term "tritium gtls" and I wouldn't use them, sorry.
https://support.timepieceservices.net/s ... to%20light.

https://www.nitewatches.com/gb/blog/gtl ... ource.html

You might want to think again about the one that's cracked, Andy, it doesn't sound good.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

There's more radioactive material in a standard smoke alarm or lump of granite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18218918

Even if it was to break up my nose 😂 youll to get a higher dose of radiation from a flight in a jet to having a X ray at the dentist (what ever those things are :lol: )

PeachyPrep

Post by PeachyPrep »

Thanks all. I’m not in a high risk flood area but it’s not to say it would never happen. I think I’d like to obtain some sandbags at least & check the guttering. I hope everyone is keeping well.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PeachyPrep wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 pm Thanks all. I’m not in a high risk flood area but it’s not to say it would never happen. I think I’d like to obtain some sandbags at least & check the guttering. I hope everyone is keeping well.

Some in BQ at the moment 69p each (without sand)

Cheaper to buy a pile off eBay eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Woven- ... %3A2334524

When it comes to air bricks I've seen a fair few designs of covers have a look at them....

1/4" marine ply.....

Cheap Eva foam sleeping mat

Some glue

Some M5 60mm bolts washers and rubber washers (bit of inner tube) and some long "well nuts" again M5 (10mm hole of my air bricks )

Or you could buy something like this ;)
Screenshot_20210123-140350.png

PeachyPrep

Post by PeachyPrep »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:05 pm
PeachyPrep wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 pm Thanks all. I’m not in a high risk flood area but it’s not to say it would never happen. I think I’d like to obtain some sandbags at least & check the guttering. I hope everyone is keeping well.
Hey Andy
Thank you for the tips, appreciated😊

Some in BQ at the moment 69p each (without sand)

Cheaper to buy a pile off eBay eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Woven- ... %3A2334524

When it comes to air bricks I've seen a fair few designs of covers have a look at them....

1/4" marine ply.....

Cheap Eva foam sleeping mat

Some glue

Some M5 60mm bolts washers and rubber washers (bit of inner tube) and some long "well nuts" again M5 (10mm hole of my air bricks )

Or you could buy something like this ;)

Screenshot_20210123-140350.png
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:13 pm There's more radioactive material in a standard smoke alarm or lump of granite
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18218918

Even if it was to break up my nose 😂 youll to get a higher dose of radiation from a flight in a jet to having a X ray at the dentist (what ever those things are :lol: )
Ah well, different strokes for different folks.