What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman »

This week I have started lettuces,tomatoes, broad beans , leeks and some more Welsh Onions. I have White Rot in my ground, and these are a perennial onion that seem to be resistant to it. Plus they can be divided to propagate.Also, had a delivery of seeds ( Winter crops) from Premier seeds- an excellent company. Spring cabbage, oriental greens, Spanish black radish, and lambs lettuce. These are the varieties you can’t get in Wilkos! Also very reasonably priced. I am geared up for probably the most productive year ever. That’s the plan anyway ;) . Here’s a link if you are interested:

https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Jansman - Have you ever tried the garlic extract method to reduce the amount of active white rot spores in your ground? I will try and look out the original article i saw which was given by an American Garlic growers professional association.
The logic is that there are no pesticides that work on white rot but if you add garlic powder to your soil on the "non-onion" years of a rotation it tricks the spores into life when there is nothing for them to eat and they die. It needs to be applied in Spring/Summer and repeated several times to get the levels down to bearable.

https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to ... %20a%20lot!
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm Jansman - Have you ever tried the garlic extract method to reduce the amount of active white rot spores in your ground? I will try and look out the original article i saw which was given by an American Garlic growers professional association.
The logic is that there are no pesticides that work on white rot but if you add garlic powder to your soil on the "non-onion" years of a rotation it tricks the spores into life when there is nothing for them to eat and they die. It needs to be applied in Spring/Summer and repeated several times to get the levels down to bearable.

https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to ... %20a%20lot!
I have read of this( thank you), and the theory behind it makes a lot of sense. However, I have now retreated to my garden ( a large garden in fairness), as there’s only the two of us. Down the years I have had allotments and even an acre of ground with two poly tunnels and goats! I tend to grow high value crops like chard, beans and various greenhouse crops.I used to grow show onions , and one year only, I bought plants in. That is when it came in.How I had the time for all that, I will never know! Onions are cheap, and in the event of a shortage, my Welsh onions, and Egyptian onions will fill the gap.

Great idea though to clear the infection.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jansman - I want to grow kale as I use it in soup. I have a tiny garden now but am wondering - would kale grow in shade? I could do a border right up against the house wall, faces due east, but is tucked right in under the house. Would that be ok for kale?
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Ordered a new laptop battery today. My current one is at death's door and if my laptop goes, I can't work. Plus it means I'll be able to work without having to be constantly near a plug socket.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Preparing for a death in the family.

Make sure you have a will and it is up to date. Tell family where it is.

Power of attorney for finanicial and medical matters

Family are aware of:

Opt in/opt out of organ donation. Paperwork to prove it.

Do Not Ressusitate wishes.

Funeral wishes.

Seems a morbid prep, but having this in advance can ease those left behind worries somewhat.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 pm Jansman - I want to grow kale as I use it in soup. I have a tiny garden now but am wondering - would kale grow in shade? I could do a border right up against the house wall, faces due east, but is tucked right in under the house. Would that be ok for kale?
It will do fine in the shade. Brassica plants will tolerate it,and it means less watering. You ok for kale seeds? I have plenty if you need them. Found a good link for you.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/1 ... for-shade/

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm Preparing for a death in the family.

Make sure you have a will and it is up to date. Tell family where it is.

Power of attorney for finanicial and medical matters

Family are aware of:

Opt in/opt out of organ donation. Paperwork to prove it.

Do Not Ressusitate wishes.

Funeral wishes.

Seems a morbid prep, but having this in advance can ease those left behind worries somewhat.
It’s not morbid. I have a folder with my mother’s funeral plan, solicitor that holds the will, and power of attorney, etc.

For myself, I have put a list in our safe of people/ insurance/ pensions etc to contact if I die before her. It saves more stress in an already stressful time

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm
pseudonym wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm Preparing for a death in the family.

It’s not morbid. I have a folder with my mother’s funeral plan, solicitor that holds the will, and power of attorney, etc.

For myself, I have put a list in our safe of people/ insurance/ pensions etc to contact if I die before her. It saves more stress in an already stressful time
Agreed, it's definitely not morbid. The weirdest things can trip you up. When my mother was dying, my brother, my sister and I shared her care - I was on my way (300 miles away) for my turn when she died. I'd been looking after her finances for years, so that was no problem. Her will named all 3 of us as executors, which was fine, but she'd lodged the will with a local solicitor, and he was *extremely* dismissive of us, gabbling about what ID documents we needed to claim the will. All he needed was a photocopied sheet of paper, for heaven's sake. It was a fragile time, because other bad things were going on too, it was very difficult.

The only thing we could do was wait a week: my sister had to come back down south anyway, her daughter was leaving home and moving into a new flat, so I gave her my housekey and told her where to find my passport and driving licence (so my fireproof portable safe was busted!). We were completely ignorant about it being lodged at a solicitor's, and the ID documents we would need.

We had 3 phone calls and 3 visits to that solicitor, to do the simple task of collecting the will. It was horrible - the lesson is, to prepare as much as you can.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I’d say it’s a sensible prep for anyone.

I make sure my father and my father in law have an up to date copy of our wills at all times.

Every quarter or so I update them on life insurance polices, manor investments, bank accounts, shareholdings etc such that if I or we died then it would be easier to unpick everything.

I’m relatively young (46) so statistically the most likely cause of sudden death - rather than illness that gives me time to manage the situation - is a catastrophic accident. We do 6 or 7 holidays a year so not implausible that we would all be wiped out at the same time.