How ready are you?

How are you preparing
Alf_resco.

How ready are you?

Post by Alf_resco. »

So I re-watched Heat in the wee small hours this morning.
I've always loved it. I love how tight the crews are, both police and the bandits.

“Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat, if you feel the heat around the corner.” Is the ultimate quote.

Now of course we ain't bandits and bank robbers. (I hope) also 30 seconds is a bit extreme as well, the chances of swat or the north koreans dropping in to kick down our front doors are pretty much 10000 -1, But, the question is there.
How ready are you to just.. Leave. Bug out, go. Get gone, Drive away...

What is the trigger?
How ready are you?

I have a family. What would make me say "Pick that up, put your boots on and follow me?" to them?

We can stock pile rice under out beds, bury bug out caches in the trees and fill that bunker with 3 years of cans of sweetcorn and fray bentos pies all we like but how ready are you guys to just go and what will it take to make you?
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
Aa_Logan

Re: How ready are you?

Post by Aa_Logan »

Not much short of the house burning down.
Conholio

Post by Conholio »

I've started stockpiling at home but I feel the need to store food and essentials at the farm which would be my bug out location. It would take a lot to make me want to leave my home and my gut feeling at the moment is its most likely going to be a natural disaster.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We will leave in the event of fire, flood gas leak etc. And then it will be to a hotel. Indeed, we don’t have a Bug Out Bag. We have a Hotel Bag. I don’t think there’s a need to explain the contents of that. One must remember that the official line from government is “go in, stay in, tune in” in the event of an emergency. We saw this during the aptly named ‘Lockdown’. Unless there is a life threatening situation in my locality ( and not an invading Red Army or mutant zombie bikers :lol: ) we stay put. In fact, we do have the option of staying on our property in our well equipped Summer house if our home is seriously damaged. But it is ours.

TPTB don’t want refugees wandering the country. And there’s a point. Unless you have somewhere solid to ‘bug out’ to, then you are quite simply a refugee. Many preppers cite “ a patch of woodland “, which invariably does not belong to them. Why it has to be woodland, I’ll never understand. We’ll stick to our cosy home.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If you don't control your BOL then you don't have a BOL.

Booking a room in a hotel/travel lodge/WHY gains control.
Owning or renting the place gives control
Shared property shares control
Relatives or friends owning or renting the place means they have control... And might be willing to share
Spotting a nice patch of woodland and planning on going there does not give control over that place..... And whoever does have control might be more then a little annoyed about having to kick yet another squatter off
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 pm If you don't control your BOL then you don't have a BOL.

Relatives or friends owning or renting the place means they have control... And might be willing to share
Spotting a nice patch of woodland and planning on going there does not give control over that place..... And whoever does have control might be more then a little annoyed about having to kick yet another squatter off
That is true. My brother and I own a small island in the river near here. It’s wooded, with a single brick ‘house’( a little bungalow really). It’s only accessible by boat. We have steel shutters on the windows and a heavy security door. That’s because we have had squatters in the past. My brother moored his narrow boat there for some years, and would frequently find trespassers ( canoeists and narrow boaters usually). He would shout a warning from his dinghy, and then release his German Shepherd and psychotic Jack Russell. That usually did the trick!

I went past when I was fishing from the boat on Monday. There were canoeists camping. I rang brother, and suggested it’s time to sell up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Alf_resco.

Post by Alf_resco. »

jansman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:25 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 pm If you don't control your BOL then you don't have a BOL.

That is true. My brother and I own a small island in the river near here. It’s wooded, with a single brick ‘house’( a little bungalow really). It’s only accessible by boat. We have steel shutters on the windows and a heavy security door. That’s because we have had squatters in the past. My brother moored his narrow boat there for some years, and would frequently find trespassers ( canoeists and narrow boaters usually). He would shout a warning from his dinghy, and then release his German Shepherd and psychotic Jack Russell. That usually did the trick!

I went past when I was fishing from the boat on Monday. There were canoeists camping. I rang brother, and suggested it’s time to sell up.
Psychotic Jack Russell?
Gosh, that sounds like one hell of a must for the old Survival kit.

Pocket sized power!
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

All 'proper' terriers are big dogs..... On the inside.

I'd be more scared of Jack the then the GSD TBH
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:02 pm All 'proper' terriers are big dogs..... On the inside.

I'd be more scared of Jack the then the GSD TBH
Yep. I'd rely on my Biggles aka Mr Big than I would the bigger ones. He'd take on anything.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm not ready as I'm starting a bit from scratch since Covid and am trying to get a bit in of each supplies so am spreading myself a bit thin at the moment as a whole. A work in progress. I do have a bug out spot. Somewhere that I roamed as a feral child for the summer holidays each year. Nobody for miles and miles. I've always joked every time something is on tv that if ever there was a zombie apocalypse this is where I would go. It was meant as a joke but not so much now. It would have to be something that meant it was impossible for me to stay in my home to make me leave. If my life was in danger and would be better off somewhere else. Up till then I'm staying put.