Another lockdown

How are you preparing
jansman

Another lockdown

Post by jansman »

Boris made it quite clear that he will shut pubs,restaurants and shops over schools,if there is a flare up of Covid19. No secret there.

My wife had a conference call yesterday.She is a teacher. The head has recieved notice from upon high about planning for another lockdown.During the ( current) lockdown,only children from families of key workers,or vulnerable children have been at school.It sounds bonkers,but they were NOT allowed to teach them anything that would put them at an advantage over those who were not present! They basically kept them entertained. My wife said it went totally against teaching ethos.

Anyhow,the sum of the conference:In a potential lockdown,EVERY school must have a plan in place to either remotely teach children PROPERLY,by group Skype or Zoom,or in the case of disadvantaged children,get them in to school.No excuses!

So,it would seem that government could be expecting more of the same.Not earth shattering news,I know,but it is a boots-on-the-ground warning.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Another lockdown

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We couldn't get little miss into school the LEA key workers list didn't match the government key workers list.... Government said we were both key workers (me food / farming production and the wife key retail) school said No your not........ :roll:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Sounds like they are preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Sensible!
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:35 am We couldn't get little miss into school the LEA key workers list didn't match the government key workers list.... Government said we were both key workers (me food / farming production and the wife key retail) school said No your not........ :roll:
Thats not good.My wife's school have even had staff in over the Summer holiday to cover Key Workers kids,and vulnerable ones too.They have turned nobody away.As my wife said, " its not just a job,we have a duty of care". Although our village has a ' chocolate box' image ( a comment made by an OFSTED inspector), there is a lot of obvious and hidden poverty.I suspect as the economy tanks,we will see more too.
scoobie wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 am Sounds like they are preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Sensible!
Yes it does. My wife said that the staff are all ready to get back and try to help,( her words) "a lost generation try to catch up".

Robert Frost.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:17 am Boris made it quite clear that he will shut pubs,restaurants and shops over schools,if there is a flare up of Covid19. No secret there.

My wife had a conference call yesterday.She is a teacher. The head has recieved notice from upon high about planning for another lockdown.During the ( current) lockdown,only children from families of key workers,or vulnerable children have been at school.It sounds bonkers,but they were NOT allowed to teach them anything that would put them at an advantage over those who were not present! They basically kept them entertained. My wife said it went totally against teaching ethos.

Anyhow,the sum of the conference:In a potential lockdown,EVERY school must have a plan in place to either remotely teach children PROPERLY,by group Skype or Zoom,or in the case of disadvantaged children,get them in to school.No excuses!

So,it would seem that government could be expecting more of the same.Not earth shattering news,I know,but it is a boots-on-the-ground warning.
same here mate my wife is head of welsh in a school not far from us and has had a simliar meeting...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

The thing is it can't be all down to the teachers. There seems to be so much pressure and blame which is not right. Our schools (one mainstream and one not) have been amazing. My youngest school sent timetables each week, assemblies, challanges, fun things, zoom games. Work would be sent via an app and commented on or liked. My eldest did little work as she struggles and we focussed more on mental health. Getting my youngest to work was easier but became harder as time went on. By term 6 I was trying to get at least one thing done and in truth I practically gave up.

I don't know how you can teach a group of nearly 30 children on a Skype lesson at once. For us it was not the lack of work, but the reassurance that this was correct and having them believe me that the work was good enough. I want the schools to open, for them and us. It's not the schools I'm worried about but what the others children and families are doing when not at school. I'm a social recluse so not going out is preferred we are being sensible. I also know after the summer holidays we always get colds or germs from big mixing of groups. Not that I have any answers. It's just not all down to the teachers.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:17 am
Snip>

This is what grinds my gears...

If the disadvantaged kids and key workers kids can be at school, why not the rest?

Same as masks, if they need to be worn they must work right? If they work why is everything locked down?

The whole planet is a powderkeg at the moment and it's inhabitants will soon light the fuse.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I actually posted this because the notification to head teachers was made by central government.Which proves they could be considering some kind of lockdown,in the event of a Covid flareup.

Regarding any inconsistencies or anomalies in procedures or practices well... It all went belly up when Rasputin - sorry Dominic Cummings - went on his road trip to get an eye test during Lockdown! :lol:

In general ( by my observations in a retail work environment) the population is now largely ignoring safety procedures. Also,we have the threat of seasonal flu looming. That's gonna make it interesting. One reason why the face covering order will be with us for all of Winter at least imo.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

A while back there was an article that said most young people (under 30)wouldnt follow a second lockdown. Sorry no link
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 pm A while back there was an article that said most young people (under 30)wouldnt follow a second lockdown. Sorry no link
Yes, I picked up on that somewhere too; and observation suggests it is true.

Robert Frost.

Me.