Alternative uses for XXXX

How are you preparing
GillyBee

Alternative uses for XXXX

Post by GillyBee »

It struck me that we all probably have alternative uses for common stuff that others may not know about. I'd like to use the collective wisdom of the forum to create a list of tested swaps

To start the ball rolling here are two from the GillyBee household.

1) Vicks chest rub is the best athletes foot cure we have ever found
2) Pet disinfectant is a good alternative to laundry disinfectant as the chemical is the same. Even better for preppers, it comes isuper concentrated in a clean cotton scent and is cheaper. And it was still available online when laundry disinfectant was unobtainium.
grenfell

Re: Alternative uses for XXXX

Post by grenfell »

I don't know if this really counts as a prep but i've used brick acid to clean a heavily soiled toilet. Just be sure to flush it before to make certain there's no bleach based products there but it gets to town on limescale.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Cleaning products can be substituted for various foods store cupboard items. Such as vinegar for windowlene, bicarb if soda for cleaning rather than using as a raising agent, lemons to cut through grease. I'm sure there are others but my brain seems to have melted in this heat we're experiencing!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Another one Asda's own brand baby sterilizing tablets include water purification instructions.At one tablet per 25l they make a good water safety prep and much cheaper than camping supplies.