Laser engraver for canned goods?

How are you preparing
reciloy

Laser engraver for canned goods?

Post by reciloy »

Does anybody use a laser engraver for their canned goods?

I am unsure if this is a subtractive manufacturing technique, or if it can apply branding to an alloy, but would make marking canned items very handy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chmHD3PmrBo
GillyBee

Re: Laser engraver for canned goods?

Post by GillyBee »

I would use a common or garden engineering scribe from a 2nd hand tool shop for £2 for home use and just scratch on by hand.
The laser might be good if selling canned goods to preppers or adventurers and you need it to look professional though.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

What GillyBee said :)
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Costs are down to a few hundred pounds now. There are plenty of materials that these machines will etch into, plenty of uses for this kind of kit, I would consider buying one, I just wondered if this was in the affordability orbit of the community ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

I remember reading about the USA space programme, and the development of a pen that would write in zero gravity- it cost a couple of million dollars apparently. The Russians used a pencil!

If I need to mark tins, I use an indelible marker. Just saying...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Even at a few hundred notes each you'd need to be marking an awful lot of cans to make it viable..... Plus you need a different graphic for each date.

All forms of etching or engraving are subtractive.

If you want one as a tool and can afford one then go ahead, its your brass when all is said and done.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am I remember reading about the USA space programme, and the development of a pen that would write in zero gravity- it cost a couple of million dollars apparently. The Russians used a pencil!

Maybe you want to spring for a label-maker J? Not sure if it's in your orbit of affordability, but maybe worth considering as a more up-market alternative to the good old indelible marker :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

itsybitsy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:25 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am I remember reading about the USA space programme, and the development of a pen that would write in zero gravity- it cost a couple of million dollars apparently. The Russians used a pencil!

Maybe you want to spring for a label-maker J? Not sure if it's in your orbit of affordability, but maybe worth considering as a more up-market alternative to the good old indelible marker :mrgreen:
Ah!
I forgot about the Dymo embossed tape beasties.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Ah!
I forgot about the Dymo embossed tape beasties.

I've got the slightly more modernized p-touch label printer they come in handy from time to time
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha :lol: Itsy, nothing is in my orbit if affordability- I am a tight git!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.