Laser engraver for canned goods?

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: Laser engraver for canned goods?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:13 pm
Ha ha :lol: Itsy, nothing is in my orbit if affordability- I am a tight git!
Frugal is a prep
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! I work on the KISS principle. I like simplicity.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I seem to recall the story about the Russians using pencils in space is an urban myth. Graphite particles floating around an environment of electronics could have serious consequences with shorting out. I think they used pens just as the americans did but the point about cheaper alternatives being just as good as more expensive is just as valid.
Unless i'm missing something all our cans come with labels to say what they are and the tins themselves have dates on them so we never feel the need for additional marking. There's only one time i can think such a thing would have been useful and that was 20 years ago on a building site. We would put a shallow container of water on top of the baby burco boiler and put our tins into it which would heat up over the course of the morning but one day some wag ( other terms were used) took off the labels. Additional marking may have been useful there but , hey , tin roulette was born.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

They both used a Fisher space pen which was developed independently by the Fisher company.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nasa-spen/

I use an indelible marker to write contents on the TOP of the tin - when you're looking down at a box of tins, it's very useful. I don't bother with BB dates so much.

(On the question of BB dates - the only OoD tins I've had a problem with were tinned tomatoes, where the lining had reacted, and beef stew with dumplings, where the dumplings had deteriorated and void opened up. Last week I ate a 6-year OoD tin of chicken curry with no ill effects.)