2nd wave preps

How are you preparing
gtait

Re: 2nd wave preps

Post by gtait »

Prepping for a second wave here.

Didn't expect that flour would be an issue during covid, we never ran out personally but stocks did get lower than I was comfortable with. Never bothered about yeast as I can make bread with a sour dough starter if nec.

I think it is important to look at where the holes were in our supplies and for us it was tomato puree (totally ran out), tinned tomatoes (stocks got low), plain flour (low stocks again), at times early on in lockdown we found eggs difficult to come by. A friend as a result of this early on shortage has got themself chickens. Hand sanitiser was impossible to get locally for a while, vitamin d same.

Would be interested to hear what others found they hadnt enough of.
PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

Supplies in supermarkets are very hit and miss. I've been shopping with click and collect and this week when I went to checkout half my shopping was unavailable. So, I am going in store to shop and I can bet I will be able to get most of what I needed.
Found a local mill for flour - more expensive but actually great quality compared to supermarket stuff. I will be putting in another big order soon.
Using a local farm shop for eggs (although they ran out in the early days of lockdown) and meat.
Started christmas shopping (food and pressies).
Trying to get prescription meds but not quite close enough to reordering time...🙄

Things like anti-bac, bleach, etc are in short supply too.

Will get what I can although not totally desperate for it.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've really noticed stocks start to go down the last week or so. Even my husband who just lets me get on with it said he can see it this time. Tuna, tinned meat, tinned veg, pasta, rice, preserving equipment etc. A lot of the equipment I am looking at online is out of stock. I'm ramping up my supermarket buying a little quicker than I was doing as I think there are going to be shortages sooner than I thought.
Tankford

Post by Tankford »

Lemne wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 am I've really noticed stocks start to go down the last week or so. Even my husband who just lets me get on with it said he can see it this time. Tuna, tinned meat, tinned veg, pasta, rice, preserving equipment etc. A lot of the equipment I am looking at online is out of stock. I'm ramping up my supermarket buying a little quicker than I was doing as I think there are going to be shortages sooner than I thought.
I had to pop into a supermarket in North London yesterday on my way to a client and it was concerning how low, not as bad as first few weeks but not far off.

I think the big items will go again (toilet paper, rice, pasta, flour, etc.)
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

If you haven't got your food stocks sorted by now you are almost too late IMO.

The end of UK summer harvest looming fast, aluminium and steel can shortages reported across Europe and North America, lower than expected harvests across the US mid-west, Canada and Asia [rice] flood basin.

Nothing to see here. LOL :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:19 pm If you haven't got your food stocks sorted by now you are almost too late IMO.

The end of UK summer harvest looming fast, aluminium and steel can shortages reported across Europe and North America, lower than expected harvests across the US mid-west, Canada and Asia [rice] flood basin.

Nothing to see here. LOL :lol:
I've noticed a few distinct shortages and big price jumps: Tinned sweetcorn ( esp Green Giant ASDA and Tesco have none nationally after a product recall in May! ), Other Tinned Veg, Tinned fruit, and cooked, sliced meats from the chillers. Not yet bare shelves if I shop around, but there's definitely shortages forming. I put the meats shortage down to meat processing plant infection issues.. Even shortages of Smart Price water.

Every weekly shop is now for about 3 weeks worth of stocks in prep for the next wave. Buying Not Panic buying.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:19 pm If you haven't got your food stocks sorted by now you are almost too late IMO.
Don't say that :shock: I am going to step up this week and go out each night and get everything I need. I've been trying to be discreet but chuff to that!
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

sacks of dog biscuits iv stocked up on this week for our two german shepards,always use a local run pet shop that know us and did keep two sacks back for me,early when this kicked off,but asked them to get me 20 bags in and fair play they did so dogs good for awhile now,got to keep the fur babies fed...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Same here, Purina kibble for the Boss, plus two big boxes of soap powder and 2 fabric softener. Laundry and pet week here :mrgreen:
Oh god better get Dreamies too :shock:
Attachments
BG1.jpg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That cat is just .... queen of the world.

Actually, thinking of extra preps, not only food but also power. I need to look at the Fuel section on here, and figure out what else I need.