Something that slipped my mind - washing clothes

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: Something that slipped my mind - washing clothes

Post by Arzosah »

Love Stardrops! It lasts approx a million years ...

That video was really interesting - and for a change, the comments are pretty much relevant. The plunger seems to be the most universally approved of, and for a change, I actually have a plunger already, ready to drill :) . The buckets don't seem to be popular - I wouldn't plan to regularly lift anything that heavy in any case, but there were comments about the painful wrist action when draining, the dirty bottom bucket being put on top of the clean clothes, the jagged edges of the holes in the bucket sides ripping clothes, the water going everywhere, the faffing with the lid but not actually using it in the videos.... but the plunger with holes in is brilliant, and it can be used in any container. Exactly the same sort of object can be seen in any museum with 19th century domestic laundry items on display- I tried to link, but the links are 6 lines long, for some reason. Do an image search for those words in bold if you're interested.

I've been a bit concerned about laundry in any grid down situation, but that plunger is gold :)
Girl Friday

Post by Girl Friday »

Arzosah , I think what you're talking about is called a wash dolly and you can still get them on eBay fairly reasonably. It would solve the commented issue of the plunger handle not being long enough. I have dreams of an off grid wash station with my wash dolly and mangle! :D
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Anyone else disappointed they used power tools to drill the holes, and not brace-and-bit?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

featherstick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 am
Anyone else disappointed they used power tools to drill the holes, and not brace-and-bit?
Rechargeable battery probably by solar power. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My father used to wash his overalls in a plastic tub and agitate it with a copper dolly on a broom handle which i think is still kicking round somewhere. This wasn't for any real desire to go off grid , it was more that at times his overalls would almost stand up on their own and mom didn't want to put something so filthy in the washing machine.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:38 pm My father used to wash his overalls in a plastic tub and agitate it with a copper dolly on a broom handle which i think is still kicking round somewhere. This wasn't for any real desire to go off grid , it was more that at times his overalls would almost stand up on their own and mom didn't want to put something so filthy in the washing machine.
My dad was similar. He was a coal man at that time.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My dad refused to let my mum clean his overalls - he always did them himself.

Girl Friday - a dolly! Excellent, thanks for the nudge :)
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

I love Stardrops too - anyone new to it bear in mind it's very sudsy! Only use a tiny bit or you'll be rinsing for ever!

I've got my general cleaning stuff down to Stardrops and Zoflora, with occasional use of washing soda crystals (drains) and bleach. The old ones are the best eh!

DD
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm the same, stick to Stardrops or Zoflora. Great stuff.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

dizzydays wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:57 am I love Stardrops too - anyone new to it bear in mind it's very sudsy! Only use a tiny bit or you'll be rinsing for ever!

I've got my general cleaning stuff down to Stardrops and Zoflora, with occasional use of washing soda crystals (drains) and bleach. The old ones are the best eh!

DD
Hi,
I've never used Stardrops before, so tried googling it but found the are loads of different types. May I ask what one you recommend and how you use it? Also what do you use the washing soda crystals for. I'm trying to slim down my cleaning cupboard with a few multifunctional items. So looking for things that might have a variety of uses.

Hasty