What preps are you going to do after Coruna?

How are you preparing
Quill

Re: What preps are you going to do after Coruna?

Post by Quill »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 am I also found the hatred for second home owners quite interesting, especially as they all pay council tax and rates for their properties, I do wonder if the local councils in these rural communities take their money for granted. I would question the legal position of banning people from attending a home they own and have legal papers for, including where they pay tax and rates never mind the vast sums of money most of these "weekenders" spend.
I do not have the money for a first home never mind a second, but I am suprised some of these very rice people have not sued the police for preventing their travel to "home". Will the rural councils be refunding their council tax for the period they were banned from using their properties?
The issue that people have with second-homers is that they push prices up for local people, so the children of people born in the area can't afford to buy a house there but there are loads of houses in the area that sit empty for 90% of the year. If you're up there every weekend and buying things from the local shops I feel that's different from just going up to the holiday home a few times in the summer.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Quill wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 am
cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 am I also found the hatred for second home owners quite interesting, especially as they all pay council tax and rates for their properties, I do wonder if the local councils in these rural communities take their money for granted. I would question the legal position of banning people from attending a home they own and have legal papers for, including where they pay tax and rates never mind the vast sums of money most of these "weekenders" spend.
I do not have the money for a first home never mind a second, but I am suprised some of these very rice people have not sued the police for preventing their travel to "home". Will the rural councils be refunding their council tax for the period they were banned from using their properties?
The issue that people have with second-homers is that they push prices up for local people, so the children of people born in the area can't afford to buy a house there but there are loads of houses in the area that sit empty for 90% of the year. If you're up there every weekend and buying things from the local shops I feel that's different from just going up to the holiday home a few times in the summer.
I do agree with you, and I think there would be far more home owners and far less renters without second home owners, however whilst they still own the property and most importantly still pay tax and water, gas and electric etc then I think they should have a right to visit/stay or choice which house to be in without government interference. It just seems wrong that people are paying for services all year around then being banned from using them when they wish.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 am
I do agree with you, and I think there would be far more home owners and far less renters without second home owners, however whilst they still own the property and most importantly still pay tax and water, gas and electric etc then I think they should have a right to visit/stay or choice which house to be in without government interference. It just seems wrong that people are paying for services all year around then being banned from using them when they wish.
Is the issue not that local council and NHS funding is based on an areas population. I.e number of hospital beds/ventilators per 100,000 people. So if there is a sudden dramatic increase in numbers, if can mean that local systems suddenly have too few facilities. When things are running as normal not a problem but during a pandemic could lead to more people dying?
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

Also I thought they pay reduced council tax on second homes? I don't have a second home so I may be wrong.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Ahastyatom wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:39 pm Is the issue not that local council and NHS funding is based on an areas population. I.e number of hospital beds/ventilators per 100,000 people. So if there is a sudden dramatic increase in numbers, if can mean that local systems suddenly have too few facilities. When things are running as normal not a problem but during a pandemic could lead to more people dying?
Oh yeah at the minute 100%, i had meant in general why locals weren’t a fan of second homers
jansman

Post by jansman »

One thing I shall deal with is even greater financial resilience after this : If I have a job! I think this virus will be doing the rounds for some time to come. We have drawn up ( or rather my wife has) a strict austerity budget, which will mean we can survive without help - and I feel that will be somewhat delayed- until the Autumn.

There will be many like us. Many. After this is over, or at least , lessened, there will not be the money spare to ‘kickstart’ the economy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 pm One thing I shall deal with is even greater financial resilience after this : If I have a job! I think this virus will be doing the rounds for some time to come. We have drawn up ( or rather my wife has) a strict austerity budget, which will mean we can survive without help - and I feel that will be somewhat delayed- until the Autumn.

There will be many like us. Many. After this is over, or at least , lessened, there will not be the money spare to ‘kickstart’ the economy.
Me too, I'm doing my best to replace (or at least getting family to shop for me) what I need or think I will need in weeks to come. As a rule this is only food although I'll keep an eye on cleaning product levels. I fear that things will get worse before they get better even after the virus is " under control". Unfortunately not all members of my family have my mindset and I fear for some of them, especially the lower paid ones who seem to think that they can't afford to save much so why bother trying. My finances are weak at the best of times too but I managed to build up a store and save enough for emergencies - and bail them out from time to time but that takes effort and sacrifice. I look forward to the day ( if I live long enough) when we can take control of our lives again but fear it at the same time. Best get back to the garden, think I might be glad of every last veggie and berry.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I will for sure be buying more of the canning jars, they are fantastic, plus extra lids as these are single use. I have plenty of jam jars but could for sure use larger stocks of the screw lids for these. Washing powder is still good as I have a couple of huge bags of powder as normally I use the washing pods so the powder is my back up should I need it. Baking yeast I have plenty stored in the freezer which keeps it amazingly fresh, the tin I am currently using is from 2016 and it is perfectly fine and working as it should, you need to remember to give it a chance to wake back up before use though. Loo rolls I had rundown stocks on as I was preparing the hall cupboard for a new shelving system, right before this virus hit.... didn't get it done on time but I have fairly good stocks and did manage to get a few of those giant rolls (like you get in the workplace) which will be fine if we need to use it. Food stuff is also fine and not much of a dent made so far. I will for sure be getting that shelving sorted as soon as possible so I can add even more to my stores.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We need to get electricity into the garage so that I can put a huge freezer in there. We have two small chest freezers and the fridge freezer but have been struggling for space. We have planted much more veg this year and once we have harvested it later in the year I will need to blanche and then freeze. we also need to increase growing space in the garden but struggling as we are at the limit of places to put raised beds, containers and potato bags. I am considering moving the 3 fruit trees from their containers and putting them into the border to free up more space. Also need to do a bit more financial prepping for future retirement and as I have mentioned before replace the cash we keep and not use it for non-emergencies.
Food wise and household supplies wise, we have been ok and have been able to help out family members with things which have been missing from their shopping. There are a few handtools which we dont own or which need replacing and I will be looking at these in coming months. We also need to replace the garden gate which is in very poor condition and needs replacing with something far more secure along with replacing the front door. Though all of this one of my main concerns has been home security, although we do have some things in place.
Growing old disgracefully!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:24 pm We need to get electricity into the garage so that I can put a huge freezer in there.
Freezers and loss of electricity to them are what keeps me awake at night. Oh, how I wish I had a home suited to solar panels.
I might actually invest in some sort of generator, but noise and fuel would be a long term worry. Ultimately, Freezing food carries a big risk of failure.

Recommendations?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong