What preps are you going to do after Coruna?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What preps are you going to do after Coruna?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:50 pm - general restock, yes - using several supermarkets. I'm very glad I had the stocks I did - I want the level I had, at the very least.
- more bleach, and more laundry liquid, I'm lucky with the former right now, not so much the latter.
- I'm using a lot of the "free" time right now to set up things in the house more efficiently - that will mean I can do more sprouting, useful house plants will get more space, and a small Anker setup has room to charge.
- I've been playing at some aspects of prepping so far - Deeps has talked about the "hobby" aspects of prepping, and I recognise that completely. No more - being able to isolate effectively can literally be the difference between life and death.
- I'd let problems with the fencing on my borders accumulate - going to get those fixed.
- I don't have any transportation at all - at the very least, I'm going to buy a folding bike.
You won’t regret a folding bike. I had one custom made years ago, a Brompton. Cost me a lot of money, and whilst I don’t cycle - commute anymore, it has been proper handy at times, especially when combined with public transport. In fact, whilst I have time, I shall drag it out and service it.

Must admit I got the bike out yesterday and gave it a quick going over the front hydraulic brake is spot on the backs not as happy and my lhm oil is in my dad's garage :x got the lever tied in hope it will back bleed itself or I'll get a bottle off eBay
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

A juggling act :lol: Of course I want to replenish/upgrade my stores and definitely need to store more flour and yeast, also sugar ( for jam making). But I also want to replace used store of cash. I think finances of my own household and family members may be struggling from now on and for the foreseeable future. I'm currently trying not to spend money on anything I can do without, easier because I can't go shopping, but if I go food shopping as soon as things are normal (or as normal as they're likely to get) then I doubt if I can build up cash supplies. Hence the juggling act.
raz

Post by raz »

Next project for me will be finally getting round to having my own allotment... one of the main red flags this pandemic has thrown up for me is food security and the whole supply chain in general so a bit of graft is worth the piece of mind growing my own would bring
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Cash! When we talked about the hospital bag recently, jansman mentioned about having coins for vending machines in hospitals. I understand vending machines are mostly shut down for the duration of this thing, but the principle applies: not only big denomination coins, but small denomination notes. I've just been putting by the smaller notes that come along in change, but I don't use that much cash nowadays (most of what I spend, outside of the holiday, is direct debit/fuel/water etc). So I'll be going to my own branch of my bank and getting some small denomination notes. It's not just about *this* disaster, it's a general across the board thing.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:23 pm Cash! When we talked about the hospital bag recently, jansman mentioned about having coins for vending machines in hospitals. I understand vending machines are mostly shut down for the duration of this thing, but the principle applies: not only big denomination coins, but small denomination notes. I've just been putting by the smaller notes that come along in change, but I don't use that much cash nowadays (most of what I spend, outside of the holiday, is direct debit/fuel/water etc). So I'll be going to my own branch of my bank and getting some small denomination notes. It's not just about *this* disaster, it's a general across the board thing.
Although I have had to start using ( first time ever) contactless card,I am still going drag some cash.Our local shops still 'prefer' readies ;) ,and who am I to question their finance structure ? We are rather old fashioned with finances and like the ' envelope system '. Over the coming weeks this will enable us to keep a proper track of our accounts,as I will be ' paying' myself at the end of the month,and onwards,until HMRC sort the job out.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

On trade up here locals are already semi bartering often via FB, you can get boxes of mixed Veg and fruit delivered to the door from local allotment and small holders, in return they ask for part cash part goods like seeds, fertilisers, pesticides, seed trays, tools etc and Labour. Others are trading foods of one kind for foods of another kind. its easier for many than standing in long queues outside supermarkets . Fruit, Veg, fresh fish, meats can all be obtained via local FB pages though I have yet to see anyone buying or selling flour, yeast or baking goods.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:51 am Not being lazy and replacing stuff immediately!
Yup. I'm definitely going to try to replace stuff (cough...whisky...cough) immediately in the future and not let myself fall into the trap of thinking "oh yeah I need to restock blah, but hey there's plenty of time I'll do it tomorrow!".
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

jansman wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:22 pm I can tell you that locals are quite hostile to you when you are a ‘weekender’. Now I am older and wiser?I understand their dislike. And right now, why would a Norfolk village , for instance, want incomers from that petri- dish we call London?
Yes I never understood why anyone would think driving hours, to a remote cottage, at the end of the supply chain, with poor access to services, where you had no social capital, and were already resented as a weekender, would be a vaguely sensible survival tactic.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

On the preconceived ideas part - I've found it really interesting how much hostility there has been to people bugging out to second homes or city dwellers moving out to the country, both from the government and the locals.
[/quote]

A very good point and something I may reconsider too. It has made me rethink where I live on the outskirts of a city. I want to be much more rural and isolated.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I also found the hatred for second home owners quite interesting, especially as they all pay council tax and rates for their properties, I do wonder if the local councils in these rural communities take their money for granted. I would question the legal position of banning people from attending a home they own and have legal papers for, including where they pay tax and rates never mind the vast sums of money most of these "weekenders" spend.
I do not have the money for a first home never mind a second, but I am suprised some of these very rice people have not sued the police for preventing their travel to "home". Will the rural councils be refunding their council tax for the period they were banned from using their properties?