Water

How are you preparing
Tomsky02

Water

Post by Tomsky02 »

Hi,

Apologies if this post should go somewhere else.

I see that water is high on every single list for starting out. Reading through posts, there are varying attitudes as to how much you should keep and what for. As a beginner I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. I read it's a good idea to keep bottled water stashed in the garage, probably 1 litre a day for 2 people. So about 30 litres for a two week sit-in. Is that purely for hydrating though? I assume it doesn't include cooking, washing, etc.

We are planning to start some veg growing this summer and I hope to get a small rain barrel for that.

Lastly, and feel free to post a silly answer if this is a silly question, does bottled water have a risk if stored in an environment of changing temperature, like a single brick garage that's freezing in winter and a hot box in Summer.

Thanks in advance.
Tomsky02

Re: Water

Post by Tomsky02 »

I'm sorry. I just found an entire board called... "Water" :oops:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome to the forum can you please post an intro in our new members section:

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Water is a tricky one but a few nights town was without water for about 5 hours due to a big fault at the pumping station...

Most health authorities and desaster planners work on 2l per day each for drinking....

A garage is ok providing it doesn't freeze solid and split the bottles

Biggest killer of fresh water is light it encourages growth of organic organisms..

https://www.beprepared.com/blog/9182/5- ... r-storage/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Tomsky02

Post by Tomsky02 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 am Welcome to the forum can you please post an intro in our new members section:

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Water is a tricky one but a few nights town was without water for about 5 hours due to a big fault at the pumping station...

Most health authorities and desaster planners work on 2l per day each for drinking....

A garage is ok providing it doesn't freeze solid and split the bottles

Biggest killer of fresh water is light it encourages growth of organic organisms..

https://www.beprepared.com/blog/9182/5- ... r-storage/
Thanks. That's a useful link, and good to know the local Council recommends double what I would have had.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Water storage depends on your options and availability. I have a large stock in my shed, I plan to use this just for drinking water, however after a long time it will taste funny. Most likely due to the plastic leaking into the water from the bottles, so it is usually recommended to refresh your bottles now and again aka drink it and refill from a tap.

I live near a running stream/river where I can collect water (using a bucket on a rope from the bridge). This water I would clean and purefy first. I have a extra large berkey water filter, this would clean up sewage if needed, check youtube for tests people have done. There are other gravity water filters like uk made berkefeld which do the same thing.

I always recommend you test your preps, stock up your water then turn your water mains tap off and see how you do, it will be an eye openner as to how much water you use!!

As for toilets etc, these use vast amounts of water, think about getting an emergancy toilet like a camping one or build your own composting toilet. Anything that does not use water...
Tomsky02

Post by Tomsky02 »

cbp125 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:23 pm Water storage depends on your options and availability. I have a large stock in my shed, I plan to use this just for drinking water, however after a long time it will taste funny. Most likely due to the plastic leaking into the water from the bottles, so it is usually recommended to refresh your bottles now and again aka drink it and refill from a tap.

I live near a running stream/river where I can collect water (using a bucket on a rope from the bridge). This water I would clean and purefy first. I have a extra large berkey water filter, this would clean up sewage if needed, check youtube for tests people have done. There are other gravity water filters like uk made berkefeld which do the same thing.

I always recommend you test your preps, stock up your water then turn your water mains tap off and see how you do, it will be an eye openner as to how much water you use!!

As for toilets etc, these use vast amounts of water, think about getting an emergancy toilet like a camping one or build your own composting toilet. Anything that does not use water...
Thanks for that. It's startling how much you don't think about until someone here points it out. That's great advice about the bottled water. I'm pleased to hear it's in a similar place as I plan to put it.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

No problem, as said elsewhere we would normally advise you to start slowly and build up over time.... but in view of the current situations I would crack on as best as money allows. I want to buy some IBC tanks, but do not have the cash right now. Just remember to practise what you prep and eat/use what you store
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Good thing with bottled water is that the supermarkets' own brand stuff tends to be cheap as chips so it's easy to build up a store quite quickly.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Having lived for 9months without running water (fortunately had a good neighbour that let me fill my bottles from her outside tap). I had several rainwater catchment barrels and 1000ltr tank filled from the tap occasionaly. I learnt very quickly that however much water you think you need you're wrong , to live a "normal" existence, you need much more. Your idea of a water butt is good but 2 would be better if you can.
Tomsky02

Post by Tomsky02 »

nightowl wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:24 pm Good thing with bottled water is that the supermarkets' own brand stuff tends to be cheap as chips so it's easy to build up a store quite quickly.
£1.50 for 8 litres of own brand in the supermarket. Versus almost double that and a bit more for the convenience of smaller bottles. Will be back soon.