So what have we learnt?

How are you preparing
preppergb

Re: So what have we learnt?

Post by preppergb »

I have learned that every government on earth is almost clueless, I have learned than many governments have made the pandemic worse by focusing more on economics than saving lives, I have learned that every UK police for is spreading mixed and often confusing messages, I have learned that whilst there are many wonderful examples of human kindness being displayed that there as many example of greed, selfishness, criminality and recklesness to match them. I have learned that every UK government since 1990 has totally failed in its civil defence planning. I have learned that I need to invest even more time, energy and money on prepping. And I have learned that I was RIGHT in my belief that no UK government could cope with a major global crisis without putting THEMSELVES and the ruling elite first and foremost.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am I know one thing: after being unceremoniously binned , and now this month’s pay is looking very wobbly, I ain’t putting that effort in anymore, once work resumes.
Jansman, not sure if this would help you but Martin Lewis (MSE) was saying that if you've lost you job go back to your employer and ask them to take you back on and furlough you to 80% until you get another job/that NGS start back up. That way you get something rather than nothing.

Point 3 in his guide. Either way hope things work out.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#hiya
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

On the wider picture i feel we've learnt that there is an awful lot we don't know and an awful lot that's been guessed at. Epdimeologiss don't all have the same conclusions and governments have reacted to contradictory advice. Perhaps the lesson there is more testing is needed , the uk has tested something like 120,000 out of 66million and south korea has tested around 360,000 out of a population of 51million. Even determining the CFR is proving difficult it appears to be anywhere between 0.1% and 5%+. . Vulnerability seems to be dependant on a number of factors , age , underlying health issues even obesity , being a smoker or having antibotic resistance all seem to be a part. Lesson here is like so many thinks , knowledge is a good thing.
I'm in two minds about the economic factor. Before this outbreak there were a glut of posts on facebook about deaths as a result of austerity. Ok so there was some ambiguity about it , correlation verses causation , but poverty is accepted as a factor in premature mortality and that in itself brings into question the closing down of the economy. Governments are borrowing huge sums to pay people to sit at home , can they continue this until a vaccine is developed which might be a year or more away and what will the aftermath be? I 've read predictions of rampant inflation through to stagflation , more "experts" guessing i suppose.
On a personal note i think i've learnt that what i have is good but more will be better even if having more makes me more selfish. At least i have built up my stores during the "good" times which makes me feel less selfish. If the most dire of the predictions do come true those good times might end up becoming not as bad as it could be times and we may have to build up stocks over a longer period with less choice or disposable income.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 am The altruism/ruthlessness thing is interesting. The details are too boring to go into, but I learnt (on the cruise, of all places) that the cutting off caring about other people to my own detriment has gone, completely: I would be able to be ruthless, if there were a collapse. I also think that because I didn't learn it earlier, I gave out too much energy, time and compassion to my clients when I worked as a therapist, and thats why I ended up with chronic fatigue.
That last statement is interesting Arzosah. By the end of last week, because of the sheer physical effort I had to put, coupled with listening to tales of woe , just caused me to emotionally crash for a full three days. Does that make sense. I can fully understand what chronic fatigue must be like, even though mine was just lasted for the blink of an eye.
That's exactly it, jansman, you've got it. And actually, I think that kind of immediate reaction to it, which you experienced, is much more healthy than the delay and buildup that I did/ experienced. It's out of your body now, you're fine. I always had the attitude of "I can do whatever it takes, for however long it takes" and of course, in my 20s and 30s and even early 40s, I usually could! It's like you hear of dancers and sportspeople having hip replacements at 40 - there's a cost for extremes of behaviour or accomplishment.
I know one thing: after being unceremoniously binned , and now this month’s pay is looking very wobbly, I ain’t putting that effort in anymore, once work resumes.
Too right :( did they actually sack you, jansman, or "furlough" you, as the awful phrase now is? You had another job offer too, didn't you, in your own line of work?

In the spirit of "so what have we learnt", how do you feel now?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ahastyatom wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 am
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am I know one thing: after being unceremoniously binned , and now this month’s pay is looking very wobbly, I ain’t putting that effort in anymore, once work resumes.
Jansman, not sure if this would help you but Martin Lewis (MSE) was saying that if you've lost you job go back to your employer and ask them to take you back on and furlough you to 80% until you get another job/that NGS start back up. That way you get something rather than nothing.

Point 3 in his guide. Either way hope things work out.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#hiya
Cheers ! Got paid,after a rather firm phone call! Furlough has been talked about,and *should* apply to me.I am going to sit the month out,and I suspect April/May I will be supporting myself ( it's what savings are for),until HMRC gets it's act together.I cannot believe that they can cope with paying the wages of practically the whole workforce at the end of next month!

Then I shall check the attitude of my employer ( not a nice person) and if it don't suit ,I am gone.I have a job I can walk into anytime in the next 6 weeks. Right now it feels like when I was made redundant...I NEED to work,and feel like a part of something.Does that make sense?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:

In the spirit of "so what have we learnt", how do you feel now?

Tired and emotionally drained if I am honest. And a little anxious for the future. I think you have got to be one heartless S.O.B. to not feel that way
On the flip- side,it's nice to be home with my wife,getting stuff done etc.

Me and mine are far from unique,and we are better placed than many.None of us like uncertainty though,do we?

Robert Frost.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm Me and mine are far from unique,and we are better placed than many.None of us like uncertainty though,do we?
Much how I feel. Sons boss insisted he goes into work despite difficulties of isolating (not impossible just difficult). the boss got his lawyer onto it and found a loophole so he could stay open :o. Is a right***** he reduced one girl to tears earlier in week and is basically blackmailing them saying they could get their 80% but not sure they'd have a job at the end of it. Needless to say they will both be looking for another job as soon as its possible neither of them can afford to be out of work so keeping going. The rest of the staff have been sent home or are working from home and they may be less than happy with their boss. If they all left it would be the sweetest outcome.

I also echo the jist of other replies, don't think governments have covered themselves in glory, don't rely on anyone but yourself/family. Don't believe what they tell you without checking. "there's plenty of food , there will be no shortages, it's your fault for buying too much". Yeah.

Things will be back to normal quicker if we do this or that. Yes things may not get so bad if we keep our distance and behave sensibly but i doubt normal will be evident for a very long time if ever. The physical/financial/mental scars of this will be a long time healing and for some I fear they might not heal at all.

Main thought - whatever I've got it's not NOT enough.
jansman

Post by jansman »

izzy_mack wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:40 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm Me and mine are far from unique,and we are better placed than many.None of us like uncertainty though,do we?
Much how I feel. Sons boss insisted he goes into work despite difficulties of isolating (not impossible just difficult). the boss got his lawyer onto it and found a loophole so he could stay open :o. Is a right***** he reduced one girl to tears earlier in week and is basically blackmailing them saying they could get their 80% but not sure they'd have a job at the end of it. Needless to say they will both be looking for another job as soon as its possible neither of them can afford to be out of work so keeping going. The rest of the staff have been sent home or are working from home and they may be less than happy with their boss. If they all left it would be the sweetest outcome.

I also echo the jist of other replies, don't think governments have covered themselves in glory, don't rely on anyone but yourself/family. Don't believe what they tell you without checking. "there's plenty of food , there will be no shortages, it's your fault for buying too much". Yeah.

Things will be back to normal quicker if we do this or that. Yes things may not get so bad if we keep our distance and behave sensibly but i doubt normal will be evident for a very long time if ever. The physical/financial/mental scars of this will be a long time healing and for some I fear they might not heal at all.

Main thought - whatever I've got it's not NOT enough.
My youngest daughter's boss is like that.We walked the dog after lunch,and on the way round I did say to Herself,that a lot of people will find out what their employers *really* think of them - good and bad.

We bumped into an old friend ,walking his dogs.We spoke from either side of the street :lol: and he commented that when this all subsided,that there will be a lot of hardship.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm ... Tired and emotionally drained if I am honest. And a little anxious for the future. I think you have got to be one heartless S.O.B. to not feel that way
On the flip- side,it's nice to be home with my wife,getting stuff done etc.

Me and mine are far from unique,and we are better placed than many.None of us like uncertainty though,do we?
Yep, I can relate to all of that, even though I've not had the close call that you've had. It's difficult to settle to stuff when you know its because there really is a virus out there that might kill me, that has already harmed our way of life for quite a while, and is killing many, many people right now. I absolutely *don't* like this level of uncertainty, no - freedom to choose is one thing, but this isn't good.

There was a heartbreaking little clip on BBC or Sky this afternoon - I didn't quite catch what was going on with a man being confronted by the police, in Sicily, but there was a woman with him, whose tearful cries were translated as approximately "we need food, come with us, we can prove that our cupboards are empty, we have nothing". It was awful.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

That the organisation who I work for are complete idiots (I knew this already), that my Manager will flee immediately to work from home at any sign of basically anything which will cause additional work (I also knew this already) and then discuss how stressed they are at being isolated. That those who laugh loudest laugh last ie my kids and my parents who know of my preps and who have now said actually you were right, and no I am not being smug here. My concern and the reason I prep has always been for my family. A final so what have we learnt - my husband is incapable of cooking anything unless it is something on toast, or anything which he can put in the oven for 20 minutes without step by step instruction.
Growing old disgracefully!