So what have we learnt?

How are you preparing
dizzydays

Re: So what have we learnt?

Post by dizzydays »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm
dizzydays wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 am We had just come from a consultation with my wife’s oncology surgeon, and he was concerned, but not overly. He said that good hygiene will be the key.

Did they say anything about cancelling any oncology clinics or appointments? I have one in a couple of weeks..
Well: Jan's appointment is 8 April,and government said ' non urgent' surgery will be cancelled after 15 April. Jan will have reconstruction ( psychologically important) but still not important.Surgeon said that ' Low Level ' cancers will also be postponed and relevant drugs prescribed.Cancer treatment is still recognised as important.Don't worry,you will be looked after.
Thanks! My appt is Apr 8 too but only for blood markers - have finished surgery /chemo. I go by train and bus so just mulling what will happen. Have to wait and see I guess.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

So what have we learnt?

To recognise the blank look of fear and desperation on people faces when they realise you were not so crazy after all.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

That those who plan to bug out may have to think again. that (yet again) I am sooo grateful to have the preps I have. That the powers that be may talk the talk but not necessarily walk the walk. Relying on yourself is the only surety you have. That you may be entitled to money if all goes wrong, to help you with food, rent etc but you may not get it till you're on the street and starving, that few hundred you have stashed away may be the difference between surviving or not.
that we may have tough choices to make, personally I couldn't see my kids/grandkids go hungry while I ate but think I'd have to draw the line there, neighbours and friends probably not.
jansman

Post by jansman »

izzy_mack wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:23 am That those who plan to bug out may have to think again. that (yet again) I am sooo grateful to have the preps I have. That the powers that be may talk the talk but not necessarily walk the walk. Relying on yourself is the only surety you have. That you may be entitled to money if all goes wrong, to help you with food, rent etc but you may not get it till you're on the street and starving, that few hundred you have stashed away may be the difference between surviving or not.
that we may have tough choices to make, personally I couldn't see my kids/grandkids go hungry while I ate but think I'd have to draw the line there, neighbours and friends probably not.
I think that sums it up nicely.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

That it's possible for TEOTWAWKI to sneak up on us in plain site ( I consider this teotwawki to an extent: Not teotw, but certainly awki for a long time E.g a generation will head into adulthood having passed no exams )

I'm seeing a few gaps in my preps, especially short shelf life stuff like milk and weetabix. I see no good reason to forgive myself for that. With good rotation, I should see whatever I'm rotating into use today should be close to expiry. Bolstering those supplies steadily, but not being greedy.

That home delivery is the recommended practice, but time slot scarcity largely rules that out in practice. Rely on No#1.

That we can get tempted to out ourselves with "See, I was right". We might regret outing ourselves! I've already been asked for something and said no.

That family members group together in crisis. What was preps for 2 is now for 3.

That facebook group video calls are brilliant.

That managing family attitudes is hard, but worth it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Oakelm

Post by Oakelm »

People act even stranger than I expected, explanation - Large brand DIY shop just as COVID was getting going but before lockdown they had at least 200 lightbulbs but talking the LED ones that last 15 years. I'm not sure I could outlive that many bulbs!!

I need to stock take more regularly in full not just note what i have added, other members of household can inadvertently mess things up and leave you short. Going to change round my shelving to make stock rotation a little easier instead of a bit here/there/everywhere.

When your too calm about things people think you know or have something they don't, acting frustrated by the situation to a minimal level has cut off people asking a lot of questions. Also had the do you have this, that, did you stock up, are you one of those prepper people. No, no, no honestly ;)

Family aka parents that are not in this household are hard to watch when struggling, going to increase supplies in future to factor that in slightly as room allows as have had to post some supplies as online deliveries still couldn't provide some items to them. They are in the at high risk group and I am partly human after all.
However I am content that watching strangers struggle gets to me less which makes me think in a full on TEOTWAWKI I wouldn't get to altruistic and give everything away.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Oakelm wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 pmFamily aka parents that are not in this household are hard to watch when struggling, going to increase supplies in future to factor that in slightly as room allows as have had to post some supplies as online deliveries still couldn't provide some items to them. They are in the at high risk group and I am partly human after all.
However I am content that watching strangers struggle gets to me less which makes me think in a full on TEOTWAWKI I wouldn't get to altruistic and give everything away.
I have to admit to being torn a bit between altruism & ruthless selfishness. I'm afraid I find myself tending way over towards 'selfish' and thinking transaction-ally. It's not a good feeling to think this way. Barely human. :cry:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lone

Post by Lone »

It’s been interesting to learn what are the most sought after items people were going for first.

Also, was disappointed to see that some supermarkets didn’t appear to clean immaculately their freezers, shelves, etc., on a regular basis, the debris of leaked fluids, split bags, mould, etc., over what looked like weeks/months, being made more apparent when stocks were depleted leaving things empty.

In a time of other kinds of illness, etc., to see supermarkets topping up freezers, etc., constantly, but not check the places they are putting them are spotless, especially with foodstuffs.

Think news rules/laws will be put in place after all this...people have got too lax in caring about things that are important to keep clean and fresh, to prevent other kinds of diseases too
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My house is in continual uproar - every storage area is temporary and subject to change. I knew this, and I was hoping that this year I'd have the time to sort it, and do a centralised stocktake that I could keep up to date. Yep, got the time now :(

The altruism/ruthlessness thing is interesting. The details are too boring to go into, but I learnt (on the cruise, of all places) that the cutting off caring about other people to my own detriment has gone, completely: I would be able to be ruthless, if there were a collapse. I also think that because I didn't learn it earlier, I gave out too much energy, time and compassion to my clients when I worked as a therapist, and thats why I ended up with chronic fatigue.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 am My house is in continual uproar - every storage area is temporary and subject to change. I knew this, and I was hoping that this year I'd have the time to sort it, and do a centralised stocktake that I could keep up to date. Yep, got the time now :(

The altruism/ruthlessness thing is interesting. The details are too boring to go into, but I learnt (on the cruise, of all places) that the cutting off caring about other people to my own detriment has gone, completely: I would be able to be ruthless, if there were a collapse. I also think that because I didn't learn it earlier, I gave out too much energy, time and compassion to my clients when I worked as a therapist, and thats why I ended up with chronic fatigue.
That last statement is interesting Arzosah. By the end of last week, because of the sheer physical effort I had to put, coupled with listening to tales of woe , just caused me to emotionally crash for a full three days. Does that make sense. I can fully understand what chronic fatigue must be like, even though mine was just lasted for the blink of an eye.

I know one thing: after being unceremoniously binned , and now this month’s pay is looking very wobbly, I ain’t putting that effort in anymore, once work resumes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.