First hand reports of reduced cash handling

How are you preparing
peejay

First hand reports of reduced cash handling

Post by peejay »

I've seen a few reports, admittedly on FB though first-hand rather than "my friend said", of shops starting to refuse cash payments due to risks of handling the physical cash & what it may carry.

Iceland staff were overheard talking about refusing soon, plus a number of independents (such as coffee shop) saying they've already instigated it.
grenfell

Re: First hand reports of reduced cash handling

Post by grenfell »

There was a brief mention of this on the local news a few days ago. I think it was cafes in the report only using contactless transactions if i recall. To be honest i can see the logic given the current circumstances.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Indeed, I was thinking the other day, if you're a cashier etc. you're almost front-line risk - no disrespect to cashiers but I imagine it's not the best paid of jobs so it isn't as if they have the equivalent of "danger money" to consider when they go to work in the morning, must be a tough choice having to work in that situation...
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I wonder how long cash has been in an ATM ?
Probably only hours, not days I imagine.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Firm i worked for did maintenance on banks although it was a fair few years ago . Town of around 25,000 with several atms and just the one would be filled with £100,000 on a friday afternoon and it was generally gone by saturday night. Filled again on the mondsy morning but did tend to last longer during the week. That was all before contactless and the like however.
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 pm Indeed, I was thinking the other day, if you're a cashier etc. you're almost front-line risk - no disrespect to cashiers but I imagine it's not the best paid of jobs so it isn't as if they have the equivalent of "danger money" to consider when they go to work in the morning, must be a tough choice having to work in that situation...
I have taken shed loads of cash for food today.Oh yes,and I earn a mint! ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

A few years ago now i worked a spell of maintainence at a bullion bank . The amounts of cash there didn't make me think it would soon be a thing of the past just yet. Dozens of the 1m square bins full of notes and coins of all dominations. The money was moved around by forklift and arrived in artics. Then there was the counting rooms where workers counted and sorted and talked about last nights telly or what they were having for tea while thousands and thousand passed through their hands as if they were beans. Cameras everywhere of course .
peejay

Post by peejay »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:14 pm I have taken shed loads of cash for food today.Oh yes,and I earn a mint! ;)
And I'm very happy for you (genuinely) but I suspect that financially there's a big difference between a butcher that serves customers &a supermarket cashier that serves customers....
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:25 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:14 pm I have taken shed loads of cash for food today.Oh yes,and I earn a mint! ;)
And I'm very happy for you (genuinely) but I suspect that financially there's a big difference between a butcher that serves customers &a supermarket cashier that serves customers....
There is a difference, but to be fair,most supermarkets pay upwards of £9 per hour now.For retail,that ain't bad.Coincidentally,I just had an email from a recruitment agency who found an old CV online.Looks like someone is wanting my experience...they had better get their sums right first! :lol: Could be timely though joking aside,as retail is going down the pan gradually ( and not just because of the panic- demic).
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.