Kids prepping bag

How are you preparing
RomeoAlfa20

Kids prepping bag

Post by RomeoAlfa20 »

Should my child have a prepping bag with him at school at all times in case of emergency that arise
PreppingPingu

Re: Kids prepping bag

Post by PreppingPingu »

That's quite a broad question. How old is the child in question? Do they have any pre existing medical issues and most importantly what sort of emergencies are you foreseeing. You don't want to freak your child out by giving them additional worries. Mental health reports have cited that even primary school children are suffering with world anxieties now and working in the pre school and primary sector, I would certainly agree. Secondary school children have such a toxic mix in their lives at present you do need to tread careful not to unduly alarm them or add to their anxieties.

I always sent my children to school with food and water as is normal for any school child. I made sure they had spare tissues and plasters. (My daughter was allergic to school plasters.) When they were at secondary school, they had their mobiles and a bit more common sense and knowledge of their surroundings. They had the St. John first aid app on their phone. Your children can be prepared for any emergency when at school by knowing the phone number of their primary parent, by understanding how important it is to follow instructions during a lockdown or an evacuation - which are practiced lots at all levels of education. They can be prepared by teaching them to not panic and to think clearly. General upbringing does that - my kids didn't see me panic when I badly lacerated my toe when they were 5 and 7, they just followed my instructions to get my clothes, get the phone etc. My kids were taught CPR in school by yr 6 and even if your school doesn't do that, you can teach them or get them to go to one of free St John or British heart/heart start sessions that are often running up and down the country. Get them involved with guides/scouts/ cadets st john's etc.

I personally think a prepping bag is not ideal as such especially as it may draw some interesting question from us staff members. As staff we are always on the look out for unusual things from a child protection and a child Prevent (extremism training) point of view. You'd be asking why a child has spare clothes, torches etc in his bag - what is going on at home for that child for feel this is necessary - it would red flag immediately.

Hope that is of some level headed help.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Great answer Pingu.

My 12 year old has water, plasters, spare socks (it's a 20 min walk and wet feet are miserable), a peperami or two, whatever cash he's robbed from me (never lasts long), anorak, fleece. He's done some First Aid training at Scouts but honestly I wouldn't expect a 12 year old to get his hands bloody. He knows to get home if there's a problem.

Seven year old has a bottle of water, that's all.

That's about it.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yes, great answer pingu.
Kids learn from how you react to situations so basic advice on getting home, keeping safe, appropriate response to accidents.
From personal perspective - teenage sons mate once managed to stab himself in the calf (we don't to this day know the real story) when visiting, children responded with applying pressure, seeking help (from me) and cleaning up the blood afterwards. Good on them, nothing else to be expected.
RomeoAlfa20

Post by RomeoAlfa20 »

Thanks for answering my question I think I am just ott with what's happing at the moment in the world changing issues we are in at the mo