Lockdown?

How are you preparing
Nurseandy

Re: Lockdown?

Post by Nurseandy »

I was chatting to a pal in Switzerland (where all schools are now closed) last night and apparently 70,000 Italians commute over the border on a daily basis. Bit confused about the Italian lockdown tbh.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

HedgeHopper wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:32 am
It seems the general view in here is that this pandemic is being over hyped
I don't share that view.
Not so much over hyped as such , more disproportionate hype compared to other outbreaks . Outbreaks that have perhaps been underhyped , glossed over or just generally pushed into a corner.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Apologies the first post was finger trouble, I was quoting Omega man
I don't share that view.
Don't you just hate it when other people have different views to yourself ??? :lol:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 pm
HedgeHopper wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Sorry, but you can't possibly know that.
You've just quoted your own post and contradicated yourself. :? :lol:
Apologies the first post was finger trouble, I was quoting Omega man
I don't share that view.
I don't necessarily think that's true for all of us - I certainly don't think that's the case.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:13 pm Apparently internet speeds in the Lombardy region have slowed down considerably. That's not something I had considered. Oh well, back to dial up :o
That may happen in the UK once more people are working from home.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:59 am
I don't necessarily think that's true for all of us - I certainly don't think that's the case.
There's a range of opinions being expressed, I've not seen anyone being disparaging about others viewpoints. We'll have to wait and see who called it right, maybe a sweepstake ????? :lol:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 am
itsybitsy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:59 am
There's a range of opinions being expressed, I've not seen anyone being disparaging about others viewpoints. We'll have to wait and see who called it right, maybe a sweepstake ????? :lol:
I didn't say that anyone been disparaging about others viewpoints. I was merely expressing mine. ;)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

In response to previous comments - and for balance - I took this from the WHO website:

Influenza may not always be thought of by most people as a serious illness – the symptoms of headaches, runny nose, cough and muscle pain can make people confuse it with a heavy cold. Yet seasonal influenza kills up to 650 000 people every year.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

This article has some easy to understand graphs and explanations which seem to check out (to my limited brain cells anyway) and they use the most recent official figures from both China(Wuhan) and Italy.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

For me the takeaway is that the quicker you shut down social interactions, the sooner you get contagion under control and less people die. Not rocket science. :roll:

It does seem to me that by erring on the side of caution and delaying the inevitable shut downs, is prioritizing economic concerns over humanitarian. Glad its not me making those choices on behalf of other people.
Last edited by Arwen Thebard on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Tory govt Arwen. Rich people with a lot of money at stake. Stock market is far more important than a few peasants.