Lockdown?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Lockdown?

Post by jansman »

Me and Mrs J have just gone to Home Bargains for a few bits and bobs, and it is noticeable that folks are making an attempt to ‘ stock up’, but there is plenty on the shelf.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Probably when the government says we'll be able to supply all those in self isolation , which could be anywhere between 20-80% of the population if we believe the reports , people start to put on their cynical head and realise that might not be right and thus start to realise they might be on their own. I do wonder about home deliveries . Even assuming the packers and drivers remain clear is there even the capacity to supply potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of people cooped up in their homes?
unsure

Post by unsure »

the wife asked me , how do we know who is self isolating and who is`nt .
assuming the worst , and it all gets uncontrolabe .
ive not seen or read any were ,of any thing to let people know to stay away .
i think she must have seen some thing in a movie , thats given her the idea .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:34 pm Probably when the government says we'll be able to supply all those in self isolation , which could be anywhere between 20-80% of the population if we believe the reports , people start to put on their cynical head and realise that might not be right and thus start to realise they might be on their own. I do wonder about home deliveries . Even assuming the packers and drivers remain clear is there even the capacity to supply potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of people cooped up in their homes?
Only 7% of shopping is delivered. Ain’t no way the zombies will get food delivered.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Didn't know the figure and couldn't be bothered to look it up but i suspected it wasn't a huge number. Take out a few drivers and the system will really be up a big brown river without a paddle.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

korolev wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am
hobo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 pm Locking myself down this weekend instead of taking a busy train to Oxford and back, staying in a youth hostel and visiting my air stewardess sister. Honestly, I tried not to get anxious! :? :? :shock:
I'm getting the train to meet my mates in the pub tomorrow, going to a football stadium on Saturday and flying to Spain next week.

Bovvered ? Nah.
https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPd ... %2930567-5
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Given the speed of developments in Italy etc, I see no reason why we wont follow suit in the next couple of weeks. If that does prove to be the case and a National lock down occurs in the UK, is there anything we all might be missing from our preps? Anyone heard of or thought of anything else before its too late?

Thinking a little further ahead, if Italy follows the Chinese protocol and remain shut down for two months, what additional resources of planning might we need then?

Is everyone on here genuinely prepared and ready for a two or three month lock down?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Weeks yes, months no.
Small house, non-prepper wife and low income all conspire against my plans
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
daylen

Post by daylen »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:22 pm Is everyone on here genuinely prepared and ready for a two or three month lock down?
If we had to live entirely off stores, no. Like ForgeCorvus said, we could last weeks, but not months.

However, from what I've seen in China, food was still available and I've not seen details of major power cuts or the like.

If food and water remain available, I can work remotely indefinitely.
redskies

Post by redskies »

If it stays just the four of us here, we can do about three months - if our older kids come home, that'll be down to around two, as we'd stock for them arriving, well before they did. If we rationed, then we could stretch it another month I think. Unlikely to happen here, and I'd likely be able to hunt rabbit, fish etc, as long as I was careful - don't see it being an issue.

(Damn near got some venison last night after a stupid stag jumped out in front of me, had a moment of indecision on the white line, then doubled back. He got lucky - I'd jammed the anchors on, so he just got a wee dunt, knocked his feet out from under him, but he was up and off before we got out to check the car. Which was fine. We couldn't have lifted him, but I'm sure we could have come to an arrangement with the kind folk who stopped to make sure we were ok :) )