UK running short of surgical and dust masks.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: UK running short of surgical and dust masks.

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 am Does it make a good cover story? It might distract the headlines for a while. Politicians are pretty much the same whatever hue they are or from whatever country they all want to see BAU and don't want to be remembered as the ones at the wheel when everything goes tits up. Closing down cities , airports and trade is only going to exasperate an economic collapse and put the blame on those politicians who instigate such actions. Probably spending money on big projects like high speed trains and huge bridges would make a better cover story?
Ha, funnily enough I was talking to a mate this morning who's not really into politics and what started off as a discussion on electric cars ended up on the big bridges and choo choo's. I think they're more vanity projects, they all seem to want a 'legacy' of some sort, there's no glory in being a 'steady Eddie', roll out (for example) cheap home wind and solar set ups to lower peoples bills, who'll remember that, but a war or a hoofing big bridge..... now that gets attention.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It seems that dentists are struggling for masks now! It is on the BBC website, but I cannot seem to link it. I have had dental problems recently, and I am due for some SERIOUS treatment. I only hope that because I am ‘private’ my dentist has masks. I really hope so , because the treatment is urgent, and will cost me two weeks wages.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:54 pm It seems that dentists are struggling for masks now! It is on the BBC website, but I cannot seem to link it. I have had dental problems recently, and I am due for some SERIOUS treatment. I only hope that because I am ‘private’ my dentist has masks. I really hope so , because the treatment is urgent, and will cost me two weeks wages.
That sounds serious, hope it goes well.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yeah, got a broken tooth gone hostile. Antibiotics sorted the pain, but an extraction will leave no molars on that side... so I have the choice of a crown or implant, and yet to decide. What I begrudged was the nine quid for the prescription- I was the only bugger paying! Everyone else got it for sod all!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:51 pm Yeah, got a broken tooth gone hostile. Antibiotics sorted the pain, but an extraction will leave no molars on that side... so I have the choice of a crown or implant, and yet to decide. What I begrudged was the nine quid for the prescription- I was the only bugger paying! Everyone else got it for sod all!

And if you don't go to work nowadays if your sick you don't get paid!

Yet dont work (because your a bone idol **** you get medications for free :evil:

Don't get me started on the diabetics getting stuff free (for good reason) but asthmatics having to pay for their inhalers

Was in screwfix tonight they are limiting dust mask sales to 5x masks per sale ...

But they have none to sell

she rolled her eyes at me when I asked until till I pulled a discoloured folding face mask from my filthy high vis pocket (spent the day grinding and welding)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pmWas in screwfix tonight they are limiting dust mask sales to 5x masks per sale ...

But they have none to sell
Wickes had plenty at 3 quid a pop Normal stock seems to be 12 per store, which most of my locals have on click & collect.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-FFP3-Po ... k/p/186937

Not as good as the screwfix ones.

Also try tile retailers.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"What I begrudged was the nine quid for the prescription"
I wonder what the same prescription drugs would cost abroad? In the US? Europe?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:01 am "What I begrudged was the nine quid for the prescription"
Last time I had a abscess 10 years or so ago the dentist asked if I paid for my prescription .. yes

Here's a private perception for 5 days antibiotics go to the independent pharmacy on the high Street...

£2 and a few pennies :shock:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:01 am "What I begrudged was the nine quid for the prescription"
Probably be a damned sight more if I am honest.My dentist was out of antibiotics, so pharmacy it was. No, my point is that I have something like a thousand quid to pay for dental treatment ( my choice), but when asked at the pharmacy, “Do you pay?” I laughingly said, “I pay for everything “, the lady said they had not had a single prescription paid for in three hours until me... sounded about right! I am a massive fan and supporter of the NHS ( my wife is a cancer survivor because of the NHS) but that very system seems to allow people to take the p*ss. There are a lot of folks who qualify for free prescriptions, but can afford to pay. My lazy brother in law for one...

Robert Frost.

Me.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Damn pleased I stocked up on FFP2 and FFP3 plus N95 masks over the years, hate wearing the things though.