How would you cope?

How are you preparing
mikefranks

How would you cope?

Post by mikefranks »

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this is in a wrong section?
Just wanted to know if anyone was preparing for natural disaster in an urban area? How would you deal with a heavily populated area and bugging in?

Mike
Deeps

Re: How would you cope?

Post by Deeps »

It would depend on what the natural disaster was Mike, plenty in the country have had to deal with flooding for example. I'm generally of a mind that to stay put would be better than becoming a refugee but in some scenarios you might not have the choice. What sort of scenarios were you thinking of ?
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

Wind knowing power lines out. Floods to a certain extent. I know year on year the climate is getting worse and worse. My biggest fear is power being out and for more then 24 hours. We are too dependant on electricity and the internet. No power, no charging of mobile phones, laptops or tablet devices. Knock on effect goes on. So being prepped for those in an urban area where I can just bunker down and not worry on having power
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A stand alone battery either powered by solar and/or wind could keep the phones and power banks charged, it would cover the basics. I've been meaning to put a solar panel on my shed for a couple years, got most the stuff, just need to get my finger out.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Loss of mains power for a few days wouldn't really affect me... I'd get a book out.......

It's ok been able to charge or power Mobile phones but it wouldn't be long for the gsm towers back up power to fail at which point it would only be good as a torch....

Where as the generic land line would stay up longer bt exchanges have back up gen sets but the broad band side will fall on its bottom.....

We would loose a bit of food from the freezer that would be the biggest issue. That and shops shut due to no tills
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Flooding is a no- brainer: if your house is full of water, then you have no option but to leave. In normal circumstances, my home insurance will find me accommodation. If the power goes out, it goes out. I would sooner be in my own house in that circumstance than somewhere strange.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Depends how extraordinary the event was and how long I expected it to last.
If power/gas/water/sewerage were in danger, they would be my priorities. I'd expect the shops to already be closed or failing so...

Probably, pretty well...
Pour two stiff drinks.
Out myself fully to MrJ to get him on board.
MAYBE One last trip to the shops and fuel station.
Clean the wheely bins and fill them with clean water.
Rig standby lighting from what's available in my stash:
Charge up anything with a battery, while power is available.
Curse myself for not having a large solar panel.
Prepare grab bags.
Secure the home and car from any immediate risks. Prepare materials for longer term boarding up.
Hunker down. Scan the news constantly.
Talk to immediate neighbours frequently about teamwork defences (while not revealing my stronger position)
Assemble my rocket stove.
Pour two stiff drinks.
Pour two stiff drinks.
Pour two stiff drinks.
Pour two stiff drinks.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Mikefranks, where I live the power goes out often. Our longest powercut was nearly a week and we often get 48 hour ones in winter. The phones go out right away and are useless. You can live without them :mrgreen:
You would need calor gas for heating and cooking, and some cash to use in wee corner shops, they would probably stay open. My nearest shop is miles away so I keep a full cupboard. Some kind of lighting either solar or battery, loads of candles, and those wee Ikea lanterns are very handy. The freezer will go so don't keep too much expensive meat in there. The only thing that is unbearable about a long powercut is no internet :evil:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:21 am The only thing that is unbearable about a long powercut is no internet :evil:
Lol. Yes. Disaster=Facebook and smartphone not working 24/7.

But seriously: True crisis and rioting could unfold just with the loss of banking internet to shops.

We preppers would be like 'Yeah, whatever" as we just get on with life.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

With the power going out, in the first few hours people would be complaining about online banking and facebook etc. But anywhere where the sewage system depends on pumps to get the black water where it can be processed would be in a world of trouble very quickly, and facebook would be the least of the problems.