Something I said sunk in!!!!!

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Something I said sunk in!!!!!

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

:mrgreen:

Mrs A was out with the 2 kids today and the Mother in law :tinfoil shopping in a large out of town clothing shop which is on a couple of levels, when the fire alarm kicked into life.... She works in retail and could tell from the looks of a couple of staff it wasn't a practice apparently they looked at each other cluelessly. ..

[[We've discussed this together and in the current climate it's safe to assume it's an emergency evacuation not necessarily Fire but possibly some undesirable with a large kitchen knife on the rampage for example... And we decided (aka I drummed it in and it became her idea :shock: ) to go for an alternative exit not the shop main entrance as that's a bottle neck

We've also discussed it with the 8 yo (green running man symbol and what it means and what to expect in an emergency (( we will move you where we want you to go you will stay quiet and do exactly as your told sort of stern lecture without any of the gory possibilities) )

Along with clarification to Mrs A about the green "call points"]]

So sirens start blasting she yanks the little man (2) out the trolley and grips the 8 yo ditching the trolley and headed for the green running man over a door (in the process she also ditched the mother in law :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) :mrgreen: :twisted: Who decided to ignore Mrs A's get a shift on request to leave her coat and bag which she'd Left in "her" trolley having wandered away from it, she HAD to go back for it..... So she got binned...

[Her bag is so important ..... despite the fact she left her bag in our house when she finally buggered off home tonight about half 6 then rung her mobile once home to try and find it :lol: ....]

On getting to the green running man exit signed door another shopper looked at the door turned to Mrs A and said it says staff only..........

Mrs A although bored by my constant witterings broke the green glass door release call point without checking the door first
{doors with magnetic locks should automatically release when the fire alarm is triggered but not worth checking it's locked then braking the glass seconds count pop the glass and go through}

She took the other lady with her.. to be met by the shops office staff coming down the staff stairs... Who confirmed it wasn't a planned drill that they were aware of and Mrs a leading the charge out another door smashing a glass bolt out into the car park........

She did good .. ...

Found the mother in law 5 mins later outside the shop front surrounded by staff members in floods if tears as Mrs a had left her.... :lol: . Kids came first

So debrief

The mother in law is sacrificial chaff ....

Joking aside she did good only thing in her haste she had left her car keys in her coat in the trolley when she gathered the kids up so a rapid escape from the immediate area was not possible aka jump in the car and bug out if I'm out my keys never leave my person.... So room for improvement ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Re: Something I said sunk in!!!!!

Post by Arzosah »

Great report, Andy, that made me laugh about your MiL :lol: Your wife sounds amazing, that she took the initiative to break the glass. And a really good idea not to go for the main exit. Must do better on that - I visit a mall in another town a few times a year, and I really couldn't tell you where the emergency exits are. I've only just learned which shops are at which end :oops:

Your thing about the keys never leaving your person *is* something I do - they're in a security pocket, which has nothing else in there.

Was the 8 year old scared/ indignant/ fascinated?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Drill or not, alarmed doors get the glass broken.

Nicely done. :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:44 pm Great report, Andy, that made me laugh about your MiL :lol: Your wife sounds amazing, that she took the initiative to break the glass. And a really good idea not to go for the main exit. Must do better on that - I visit a mall in another town a few times a year, and I really couldn't tell you where the emergency exits are. I've only just learned which shops are at which end :oops:

Your thing about the keys never leaving your person *is* something I do - they're in a security pocket, which has nothing else in there.

Was the 8 year old scared/ indignant/ fascinated?
The 8 year old was fab she still reels in the glory that she was the first one out when we had the chip pan fire a few years ago and mummy gave the then 15 year old a full on chastisement for not doing as he was told :lol:

I've worked in industry since leaving school both with electricians and just labouring and come across a whole Verity of exit door "furniture"

Most people recognise the old standard push bars
single-fire-exit-door1.jpg

But then there's push pads

Exidor 297 Push Pad Panic Latch.jpg
Break bolts
dmeu_fre400_1_std.lang.all.jpg

The staff doors which they usually tap a pin number into a key pad often have these next to them if on a exit route..
EVEBG.jpeg

Even I've not seen these yet in use

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... GIQAvD_BwE
Attachments
single-fire-exit-door1.jpg

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:53 pm Drill or not, alarmed doors get the glass broken.

Nicely done. :D
And inline with what I got trained years ago extinguishers get collected .. giving you the chance to use it to allow escape spray at flames to knock them back and get past sort of idea...... And after London bridge highlighted it's a good self defense option

(It was mentioned that it was a good job I wasn't there today as I'm a pull pin and test sort of fire warden pointless walking towards a fire unsure if the extinguisher will work ) :tinfoil

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPhbJ95VGe0

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"The mother in law is sacrificial chaff ...." A classic line :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

This is a great story and a great example of planning in advance. Hopefully the lesson will sink in with MiL. I'm gonna go over some of this with my lot. SWMBO takes prepping a bit more seriously now, and our wee baby is now 12 (!!!) and going off on his own more often (we might e.g. split up in a shopping centre for 30 minutes or so) so needs to start thinking about this stuff. Thanks for posting.
korolev

Post by korolev »

featherstick wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:12 am This is a great story and a great example of planning in advance. Hopefully the lesson will sink in with MiL. I'm gonna go over some of this with my lot. SWMBO takes prepping a bit more seriously now, and our wee baby is now 12 (!!!) and going off on his own more often (we might e.g. split up in a shopping centre for 30 minutes or so) so needs to start thinking about this stuff. Thanks for posting.
When my son was younger I always told him a couple of meeting points to go to and wait if anything happened. In town it was Mcdonalds first and if that was no-go, then the station.
jansman

Post by jansman »

That’s how we did it with our kids too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:26 pm That’s how we did it with our kids too.
Same here.... Usually something very distinctive that they can see from all directions.... Funfair the kiosk by the tallest ride......

The biggest slide at the outdoor play area

The big road sign on the high Street....