Prepping and climate change

How are you preparing
Jillybean

Re: Prepping and climate change

Post by Jillybean »

This is something that worries me. Whilst I'm not up to date on all climate change facts and figures ( too much text scrambled my dyslexic brain) I'm trying to make more changes at home. Probably more because of uncertainty over our future financial situation, a move to be more environmentaly conscious and more self sufficient (this last bit needs a lot of work).
I agree that we should make do, mend, reuse and recycle where possible. I was brought up with little money, so used to thinking outside the box. Since becoming a parent, try to make more things myself and learn more skills so I can fix things. However, it's not as simple as that. I would LOVE to buy local and organic foods more, but I'm normally buying what's on offer. I also find that prepping goes against some of the eco friendly ideas, and I struggle with this. I have now got a vacume sealer, which requires plastic. Not great for the environment, but great for my preps.
When I need something new, I'm trying to get it or make eco conscious things. However, I'm not about to throw out all my plastic, I will use them until there is no life left in them. I think on an individual level we could do much more (somewhat idealistic). Teaching the younger generation to grow their own food from a young school age, making solar power more accessible to the general public. Stop needing the latest trends, and make things to last (scary, I sound like my grandparents!).
Very interesting point about the whole world needs to come together to make changes, or there isn't really going to be a big enough change to have an effect. Still I will continue to do my own things when I can and continue to learn old practical skills.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Bloody bicycle won't be much use to me, with the nearest shop 11 miles away :mrgreen:
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 am Bloody bicycle won't be much use to me, with the nearest shop 11 miles away :mrgreen:
An electric bike, charged from your own wind generator would be good. Treadmills often contain quite powerful DC motors and can be bought used for peanuts. I recently bought one for £5 for use as a wide belt sander, simply replaced the belt with a large abrasive belt , for sanding large flat surfaces. It has a 1.75hp motor, rated at 180 volts, but runs quite well at lower voltage.

I live in the sticks too, although only 3 miles from the shops, and I'm a bit worried that the electricity infrastructure won't be upgraded in time to cope with the proposed ban on fossil fuel vehicles. I suppose we could do the shopping by tractor, some people already do.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Could get a loan of a quad bike on red diesel if we couldn't use the car. Plenty quads round here.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Don’t worry diamond lil. It will not happen. It’s a fantasy policy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think so yes. All trying to outdo each other with their carbon-free this and that but notta bloody clue how to actually go about it. When people suddenly realise that it means being cold and miserable then they might not be so keen :twisted:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:22 pm I think so yes. All trying to outdo each other with their carbon-free this and that but notta bloody clue how to actually go about it. When people suddenly realise that it means being cold and miserable then they might not be so keen :twisted:
I suspect when people realise its actually 'THEM' that will be curtailed by any plans it will have an impact. Its all very well screaming for change while its not affecting YOU but when its going to have an impact on YOUR lifestyle, that's different !!!!!

I've broke out the popcorn on this one, while 'the planet' is a hot potato at the moment and people are travelling miles to rock up at protests to tell those less well informed how terrible they are, its still not affecting them. Honestly, while its not gonna happen, I'd love to see some kind of resources rationing, see how we all cope then. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Now THAT would be the acid test Deeps. I’m with you on that one. !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

That idea of rationing of resources has been suggested before now in the form of TEQ's or tradable energy quotas . So each person would be allowed a certain amount of energy and have to make the best use of it as they could. If for example we were all al!owed 100gallons of petrol a year we could fuel a gas guzzler and drive a short distance or turn to a smaller more efficient vehicle and dri e for further.
I'd like to see it too , less travelling means less congestion , roads will last longer and less new roads would need constructing. And perhaps extend it to things like sugar to help combat the obesity problem and reduce pressures on the health services . It really would be a win win situation.
However, after the government said they were bringing forward the ban of sales of ICE cars social media had several threads about that and the majority of comments were negative , not enough generating capacity , not enough range from EV's , battery recycling , not the charging infrastructure and so on. Basically as jansman was saying people are thinking of how it will impact them personally . It's simply the fear of mitigation.
On the positive side this corona virus has resulted in less air travel and a drop in trade from china .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:02 am Now THAT would be the acid test Deeps. I’m with you on that one. !
Re resources rationing - absolutely. I can only see it happening if something really intense has already happened: Miami is abandoned, the Thames Barrier breaks and London is overwhelmed, that sort of thing, but I'd like to see a "resources budget" be brought in.