What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

Me too PP. Last year things got hectic re courier deliveries and that was before the virus hit.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And us (well the 2 little ones sorted ) eldest is old enough at 18 to understand Santa might not get to him due to covid.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Being in the food trade,I detest Christmas with every fibre of my being.It's a load of work to provide one bl##dy dinner! No time off for a month before,and back to work on the 27th. Those that actually like Christmas,are those who have no economic relationship to it,and get about three weeks off! The best is,that by the time we have dealt with it,paid humongous overtime bills,suppliers etc. there is very little profit , especially as January and February people live off of what they bought for two days in December!

That said,it will be a subdued affair for us this year.Both of our daughters have less money to play with right now,so we will concentrate on food,drink and keeping warm.Now daughter no.2 has moved in,there is no point in giving each other piles of shiny trash that has to be put somewhere. We are full to the gunwales as it is!

We all agreed that we need to be stashing cash,not splurging for one day - just because you are expected to- and preparing for the 2021 Sh*t Show.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:49 am That said,it will be a subdued affair for us this year.Both of our daughters have less money to play with right now,so we will concentrate on food,drink and keeping warm.Now daughter no.2 has moved in,there is no point in giving each other piles of shiny trash that has to be put somewhere. We are full to the gunwales as it is!

We all agreed that we need to be stashing cash,not splurging for one day - just because you are expected to- and preparing for the 2021 Sh*t Show.
Subdued for my little extended family too. We are buying presents, but focussing on consumables - nice teas, pates, nuts, choccies, whatever. And plans are very flexible - up to and including not meeting up :(

At the moment, prepping to safeguard the mortar at the *back* of my house, after doing up the side wall. And prepping for a stay overnight at my sister's, her dental needs demand that she have someone on the premises for 24 hours afterwards.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Christmas is minimum here as well this year. We aren't going to visit family and are just doing a nice meal Xmas Eve and then buffet for Xmas and Boxing Day. No presents this year we are just buying something for us between us that we need yet to be decided.

There is a life size Father Christmas in the foyer of my local Home Bargains that sings and says Christmas messages as you pass. We told it where to go and the woman behind me was "and you can p*$$ right off for a start. Christmas is cancelled this year" :lol: They had to turn it off as everybody was swearing at it.
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

Stocked up on gas canisters for my jetboil, my local go outdoors were out of stock for a few weeks in September (probably due to everyone taking up camping!)
I now have enough stored to see me through to spring, not much fishing will be done over winter but hopefully I will be roaming far and wide so had to make sure I have enough gas in for my brews!
I still need some new walking boots but struggling to find any suitable ones in my size locally, I can’t buy online because I like to try them on.
Food wise I’m discovering a few gaps in my stocks which will be filled by the weekend, mostly store cupboard items.
Outside the garden has had a quick tidy, lawns need a last mow but it’s still too wet (weather looks promising for the weekend though) have lots of cardboard stacked up mainly from delivery boxes which I will keep until they can be burnt on our local bonfire on bonfire night.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I'll be topping up my petrol containers soon. I have run them down through summer, via the lawnmower, strimmer and chainsaw, so now they need filling for potential generator use.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I made a fence this morning,which involved me knee!ing on the yard.This afternoon,I picked up some kneepads.I have threatened this forever! I ain't getting any younger,so not before time. Whilst there,I picked up assorted screws,fixings,zip ties etc. Got some more sugar for brewing,and shelled a load of borlotti beans from the garden.Productive day.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

This week's prep is a 2nd hand overlocker from the local sewing shop. This will do double duty as my Christmas present this year. Christmas wil be a quiet affair with just the 4 of us. Suspect the usual big family get together at BIL's house is going to need to be "postponed". Probably until 2021 at this rate.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:38 pm I made a fence this morning,which involved me knee!ing on the yard.This afternoon,I picked up some kneepads.I have threatened this forever! I ain't getting any younger,so not before time. Whilst there,I picked up assorted screws,fixings,zip ties etc. Got some more sugar for brewing,and shelled a load of borlotti beans from the garden.Productive day.
Was laid soaking in the bath tonight regretting not putting my slip in knee pads in my work trousers today .

Watched the chap lift the toilet "box" off the van 45kg he made it look light (I'm used to lobbing 20kg about all day) blooming heck the pan alone was a struggle up the stairs )
FB_IMG_1602622712966.jpg

But after lots of bad language the new toilet is in plumbing altered and waste tweaked tiled from the bath to behind the loo
Screenshot_20201013-201914.png
Sunday bath went in Monday tiled the bath

Tomorrow it's new sink unit
Attachments
FB_IMG_1602622712966.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine