What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:38 pm Hi Lil
Do you have a good coffee bean supplier in mind? We did stock up heavily on this a couple of months ago with 4 coffee heads in the house.
No cover = zombie apocalypse round here.
Am I OK to recommend Garroways for beans or is that against the rules?
I just get them from Costco or Ebay GillyBee - every time I've got any spare money I get some. :mrgreen:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Our Sainsburys does 1kg bags of espresso beans at a fair price if you have one nearby.
I don't like to pay much more than £10 per kg and my preferred supplier does nicer coffee at that price point than the big S so I stock up every couple of months from them to get the free postage deal.

https://www.garraways.co.uk/caffe-prima ... ans-grinds
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

This week for me its about physical health, been working out more and want to have some metrics to work towards as well as measurable goals
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Yes my mind has been focussed on a possible second lock down and on Brexit. Looking at topping up the essentials first such as flour, sugar, baking powder, rice, noodles and pasta as some of those can still be hard to get sometimes when you go to the supermarket. Then I will look at tinned meats, tinned veg and tinned bean varieties.

The other thing is making a list of jobs that need doing before a lockdown happens again such getting in an electrician to run power up to our new shed/mini workshop at the end of the garden. Wondering if we can squeeze a small freezer in there... Not sure if hubby wants a freezer in his workshop but hey ;) (Yes we finally got the shed delivered and assembled and when the local dump/recycling place opened, I did various car runs to dump the old rotten shed - I'm always amazed what I get in the back of my old focus estate!)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's good prices for coffee GillyBee. I like Lavazza super crema, buy it on ebay.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm learning about growing from seed :oops: in other words I'm learning by making every single mistake possible :( mostly planting too late, and not enough light. I need to research growlights for indoors for next season. And for next season I'll manage to buy from realseeds so I can save my own seeds. All I have right now is from Suttons Seeds, and they're all F1. I might give up on the spindly things sitting in my kitchen and use the rest as microgreens.

I'm also digging my way towards the broken fence so I can get a fencer in - my experience with builders, at least, in relation to my garden, is that they don't respect anything that doesn't look like a classical suburban garden (or maybe a veg plot, but mine doesn't look like that, either).
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 am I'm learning about growing from seed :oops: in other words I'm learning by making every single mistake possible :( mostly planting too late, and not enough light. I need to research growlights for indoors for next season. And for next season I'll manage to buy from realseeds so I can save my own seeds. All I have right now is from Suttons Seeds, and they're all F1. I might give up on the spindly things sitting in my kitchen and use the rest as microgreens.

I'm also digging my way towards the broken fence so I can get a fencer in - my experience with builders, at least, in relation to my garden, is that they don't respect anything that doesn't look like a classical suburban garden (or maybe a veg plot, but mine doesn't look like that, either).
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall wrote that ‘if you can read a seed packet, then you can be a gardener’. Seeds * want* to grow.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Ysverine

Post by Ysverine »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 am I'm learning about growing from seed :oops: in other words I'm learning by making every single mistake possible :( mostly planting too late, and not enough light. I need to research growlights for indoors for next season. And for next season I'll manage to buy from realseeds so I can save my own seeds. All I have right now is from Suttons Seeds, and they're all F1.
If you're looking for heirlooms that you can save the seed from, I recommend Franchi/Seeds of Italy. They're a bit pricier, but sometimes you can get selection pack type things that give you a variety of different veg to work with. It's certainly got me trying some veg that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about, so it's a bit of a boon on the dietary front as well :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 amSeeds * want* to grow.
This is definitely true :) it's just that some of my actions work against them :oops:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ysverine wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:58 pmIf you're looking for heirlooms that you can save the seed from, I recommend Franchi/Seeds of Italy. They're a bit pricier, but sometimes you can get selection pack type things that give you a variety of different veg to work with. It's certainly got me trying some veg that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about, so it's a bit of a boon on the dietary front as well :D
Thanks for that - I only knew of realseeds.