What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm Good for you, jansman!

My preps have been less preptastic. I was up early to collect a click and collect order from my Sainsbo - literally the first food thats come into the house since the delivery 3 weeks ago, so I've been managing pretty well. I laid everything out at the front door so I could wash the chill and frozen stuff in really soapy water, bunged my clothes in the washer on a hot wash, got a shower and washed my hair. Might be slight overkill ... okay, yes, it is, I didn't even need to go inside the store, they do click and collect orders from a van of their own parked in the car park. I was seeing the queue to get in when the store opened - most people in masks, observing distancing, but you have to wait for a long while - I'm going to wait as long as I can before I need anything else - lots of lovely wild garlic in my garden, the lemon balm has gone crazy (so have the nettles) and the rhubarb looks beautiful.
Great that you got a click and collect! We got a Tesco delivery this week.Got a text whilst working today; Mrs J got another for next week and so did Mum in Law.That is great,as Mrs J is back at work next week,and those two trips fell on me to deal with.Given that I have two days work next week,it would have been a struggle.Been digging footings today,and boy! For a man on the way to 60, I know it! :lol: Mind you ,it was nice to have a wedge of cash pressed into my hand this afternoon. :D

This weekend I shall be sweeping the chimneys.Mentioned it to our neighbour when we were chatting over the gardens,and he asked me if I would do his.I told him yes, but its fifty quid cash.Snapped my hand off! Got to start splitting logs ( fetched more at 5 am) so they are dry by the turn of the year.If I can pull it in,I shall service my Brompton folding bike.And bottle some beer.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Finally ( I think,) finished bunny proofing the allotment fence. I had put some holes in it with careless strimming and the rabbits had also had a go at it. I had also made the mistake of buying cheep chicken wire that said it was galvanised and rust resistant but rusted in the first season … grrrrr. Just got to add some shiny stuff to the top of the fence so scare birds and deer away. Used old PC game CDs in the past. As they spin in the wind they shine. Deer can jump pretty high from stand still so there is one section that I need to increase fence height and then fingers crossed, my produce will be safer. Other preps are going through and rotating my Brexit/covid supplies. Also I am making a list of stuff I need tradesmen to do when they are free to work again. I have some electric jobs that I want doing involving various home bits but also running power out to the end of the garden where we are going to put a bigger shed in. The old small one is falling apart - there's only so much patching up you can do, especially when you need a bigger shed :) Due to Covid, we have had to put on hold the shed as choice is limited online atm. Happy to prep the base, assemble the shed ourselves but we kinda actually need the shed in the first place :lol: Hubby is going to use it mainly for his new hobby of knife making but I will also fill it up with useful crap in the only the way a lass can :D
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We're the same PP, were meant to get a shed then alter the back garden but the shed is on hold indefinitely.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:30 pm ... cheep chicken wire ...
I saw what you did there, y'know :mrgreen: :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:28 pmGreat that you got a click and collect! We got a Tesco delivery this week.Got a text whilst working today; Mrs J got another for next week and so did Mum in Law.That is great,as Mrs J is back at work next week,and those two trips fell on me to deal with.Given that I have two days work next week,it would have been a struggle.Been digging footings today,and boy! For a man on the way to 60, I know it! :lol: Mind you ,it was nice to have a wedge of cash pressed into my hand this afternoon. :D

This weekend I shall be sweeping the chimneys.Mentioned it to our neighbour when we were chatting over the gardens,and he asked me if I would do his.I told him yes, but its fifty quid cash.Snapped my hand off! Got to start splitting logs ( fetched more at 5 am) so they are dry by the turn of the year.If I can pull it in,I shall service my Brompton folding bike.And bottle some beer.
I was pleased with the click and collect, its true. And wow, Jansman, you sound like a smallholder. Its really amazing what you manage to do!
And Mrs J is back to work next week? Ugh! Can she work from home?
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Great that you got a click and collect! We got a Tesco delivery this week.Got a text whilst working today; Mrs J got another for next week and so did Mum in Law."

Home deliveries and C&C slots are becoming available as shoppers payment cards get declined. A few weeks without wages and many people are running out of money, so when the store processes the card payment (prior to picking the order) some are being declined and that time slot becomes available to others. There is a tragic side to this lock down that isn't clearly visible yet.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:20 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:28 pmGreat that you got a click and collect! We got a Tesco delivery this week.Got a text whilst working today; Mrs J got another for next week and so did Mum in Law.That is great,as Mrs J is back at work next week,and those two trips fell on me to deal with.Given that I have two days work next week,it would have been a struggle.Been digging footings today,and boy! For a man on the way to 60, I know it! :lol: Mind you ,it was nice to have a wedge of cash pressed into my hand this afternoon. :D

I was pleased with the click and collect, its true. And wow, Jansman, you sound like a smallholder. Its really amazing what you manage to do!
And Mrs J is back to work next week? Ugh! Can she work from home?
Ha ha! :lol: I am like a Womble on Speed Arzosah - that's what Mrs.J reckons anyway.

Because I am furloughed,I have to keep busy.My normal job means I am up at 3.30 am most days.I work 10 hour shifts,flat out and rarely get a break.So this lockdown is like a holiday for me.I have caught up on loads of stuff,and there is more to do.The odd cash jobs I am doing will pay for more diy materials etc. In fact,next week I am mixing concrete for my builder neighbour in exchange for a stack of fence posts.

Mrs J cannot work from home unfortunately.As a teacher she has been placed on a rota to ' child mind' vulnerable and key workers' children at our village school.It's only for one week in a month,and she has ' dodged the bullet' so far because of her cancer treatments.She wants to work ,and as we both had obvious Covid 19 symptoms over a month ago , neither of us are concerned for her health.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

A womble on speed mixing concrete :lol: we're going to have to have a t shirt made up, you realise that, don't you :mrgreen:

Prepping today, hmmm. No - but doing other jobs so my preps can take centre stage.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:17 pm
PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:30 pm ... cheep chicken wire ...
I saw what you did there, y'know :mrgreen: :lol:
Purely intentional spelling error, honest guv! 🤣🤣🤣
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Finally assembled my 6x4 foot plastic greenhouse. Only took 15 years! :lol: To be honest I'd forgotten I'd bought it - I found it in the back of the shed when I was having a clear out last autumn! Unfortunately the local meeces seem to have used the box as a comfortable home and had nibbled out the corner. Now I have a repeated series of 4 inch holes in the plastic! But nothing repair tape couldn't fix. So now it's all waterproof :D Am currently cobbling together a solar fan to try to keep the air moving inside - it only has the one door and no opening the other end so I suspect ventilation will become a problem as it hots up. Will be moving the tomato, pepper and aubergine seedlings out there soon. Hoping to extend the growing season :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb