What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:14 am
jansman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm
diamond lil wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:14 am My husband is/was a biker, so is my son. Husband always had a temper. I'll never forget the night he pulled up at the chip shop in a rough area of Edinburgh and a gang of late teens surrounded the car and one spat on the window. Well he erupted out of that car, grabbed the biggest one shoved his nose in the spit, and rubbed it. I was in the car with wee children and scared they'd all turn on him. He made the guy wipe the spit off with his sleeve and then let him go.The rest just stood rooted to the spot. Thank god. But he's very streetwise, I'm not. I got a book about how to keep yourself out of trouble - think it was about terrorist type attacks, and read it. Anticipate trouble and stay out of it to begin with.
Ooh Lil! Your hubby sounds like I used to be.I used to have a proper temper on me,and it has landed me in hot water a time or two. Now I am older,slower and a lot,lot wiser.Avoiding confrontation is my policy now.
The temper thing is interesting! I've usually held back on my temper, and the few times I haven't, it hasn't gone well ... in public, in the past, I've told teenagers off before now (running through my friend's back garden? No!) but I wouldn't do much of that now - too many of them have knives now. People who are, say, 40s and upwards, continue to be simply rude :( but the thing that comes out in the papers at the moment is that people asking other people to wear masks (like, bus conductors who have a statutory obligation to do that) are getting beaten up for asking.
Funny you say that about over 40’s. Back in April, our business had to shut. Nothing to do with legislation: it was the verbal abuse, and I mean awful language as staff were trying to enforce social distancing and customer movement within the premises. The boss had the welfare of the staff to consider first.

Now we are getting gob from customers when we ( ask ) them to don a face covering. The latest one is grief because the restaurant ( takeaway only) is not participating in the ‘eat out, help out’ gig. We are takeaway- we cannot! The mouth we get from them is unreal.

A publican we supply, suspended the scheme. Because customers were so bloody abusive to his staff. The best is, they were not regular customers. Just the usual scrote bounty hunters looking for something for nothing. His head chef threatened to leave because he has been working 70 hours a week, to service customers who won’t return after the freebie ends.

Only if you work in retail or service industry can you understand what pigs people are!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 pmFunny you say that about over 40’s. Back in April, our business had to shut. Nothing to do with legislation: it was the verbal abuse, and I mean awful language as staff were trying to enforce social distancing and customer movement within the premises. The boss had the welfare of the staff to consider first.

Now we are getting gob from customers when we ( ask ) them to don a face covering. The latest one is grief because the restaurant ( takeaway only) is not participating in the ‘eat out, help out’ gig. We are takeaway- we cannot! The mouth we get from them is unreal.

A publican we supply, suspended the scheme. Because customers were so bloody abusive to his staff. The best is, they were not regular customers. Just the usual scrote bounty hunters looking for something for nothing. His head chef threatened to leave because he has been working 70 hours a week, to service customers who won’t return after the freebie ends.

Only if you work in retail or service industry can you understand what pigs people are!
Honestly, it's like a different planet :( If some of the problems happened that we as preppers actually think about, how on earth would those people react? I can certainly see them throwing other people under the proverbial bus :(
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:42 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 pmFunny you say that about over 40’s. Back in April, our business had to shut. Nothing to do with legislation: it was the verbal abuse, and I mean awful language as staff were trying to enforce social distancing and customer movement within the premises. The boss had the welfare of the staff to consider first.

Honestly, it's like a different planet :( If some of the problems happened that we as preppers actually think about, how on earth would those people react? I can certainly see them throwing other people under the proverbial bus :(

We had a what seems to be in phrase at the moment "Karen" yesterday wouldn't come into the shop and bloody rung from the car park .. lugged the 25kg item to her car she dived back out the way (litterally) .... Virus this virus that 2m space blah blah ........ So I Put item on the floor

"Can you put it in the boot?" As she opened the boot lid

"No 2 metre social distancing it would put me with a metre of your kids and I'd hate to pass anything onto them.."

2 kids knelt looking into the boot over the back seat

Her face was a flipping picture
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

New toy as the days grow shorter.

Few years back the general torch market couldn't touch the China imports

Well seems they are finally catching up... Got this from Toolstation £38 ish with extendable 5 year warranty (excl battery)
Screenshot_20200814-232403.png
https://www.toolstation.com/nightsearch ... rch/p21740

Car any home charger plus wall bracket included and if set will come on in the event of a power failure

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well today we've had a deep clean of the house and ditched loads of crap :tinfoil

Shed has been wintered (bikes put to bed for the winter still accessable but not in the blooming doorway) generator put in its winter position so it can be run just inside the door hole to muffle the noise .. and I can get in without finding a pedal with my shin or a handle bar in the gut :mrgreen:

Outside stand alone battery lights have all been charged up, they will be done again at Christmas then late spring ...

Stock taken of winter back up fuels / gas / paraffin et all (sat pretty on that front but if that shed ever catches fire it will rival Beruit :shock: ) all legal on The quantitys front but still :o shed had an excess of drop vents and fresh air roof level vents to draw air in/ let any fumes that begin to build up escape just need to refill the Jerry can with unleaded it's getting low

hand held extinguishers in there 2x6 kg powder and a 2kg co2 but I'm really considering a big automatic powder extinguisher to hang on the roof inside which will knock back any fire even if no one is in there

Dumped the 1/2 sack of spuds (got 2 sacks at start of lockdown) warm weather the remaining had gone to mush 6 months + can't complain... Allotment spuds to be lifted soon ...

Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:14 am
jansman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Ooh Lil! Your hubby sounds like I used to be.I used to have a proper temper on me,and it has landed me in hot water a time or two. Now I am older,slower and a lot,lot wiser.Avoiding confrontation is my policy now.
The temper thing is interesting! I've usually held back on my temper, and the few times I haven't, it hasn't gone well ... in public, in the past, I've told teenagers off before now (running through my friend's back garden? No!) but I wouldn't do much of that now - too many of them have knives now. People who are, say, 40s and upwards, continue to be simply rude :( but the thing that comes out in the papers at the moment is that people asking other people to wear masks (like, bus conductors who have a statutory obligation to do that) are getting beaten up for asking.
Funny you say that about over 40’s. Back in April, our business had to shut. Nothing to do with legislation: it was the verbal abuse, and I mean awful language as staff were trying to enforce social distancing and customer movement within the premises. The boss had the welfare of the staff to consider first.

as iv said before im a gardener/grounds maintaince for the local council the amount of daily abuse we get is unreal through this,at the start of the out break they threw us on the bins to cover the sickness because the bin lads where all taking it in turns in having 14 days off(taking the piss more like),9weeks later after the out break grass wasent getting cut so pulled us off refuse back on our own jobs to face more abuse about where you been till now cutting this grass,im short tempered at the best of times but by the christ iv had to bite my lip a few times and walk away.....
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

LOL rusty I shouldn't laugh, but that's the job my husband had for 12 years. He worked in Edinburgh and drove a Toro around multi storey flats, and people dropped nappies and bottles of water on his head :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I picked up two new plastic rat bait stations.We have had a bit of a problem.Also made two wooden trap covers.They are now deployed.

Mounted a rack inside the back door to hold various LED torches.Also a fire extinguisher and blanket,and first aid kit.Easy to reach from the yard.

Cleaned and fettled the hurricane lamps.Got enough paraffin now.Bought more firelighters too.I have always used newspapers,but nobody has them now.That will make it simple to light the stoves along with the saved combustible packaging we save.

Fixed a leaking workshop roof. All these things add up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:44 pm Also a fire extinguisher and blanket,and first aid kit.Easy to reach from the yard.

Cleaned and fettled the hurricane lamps.Got enough paraffin now.

Fixed a leaking workshop roof. All these things add up.
Keep an eye in Lidl the anaf extinguisher range be it the small 1kg or the big 6kg powder are aluminium and
resin / plastic even the pin and levers so will stand up to outdoor conditions one of the 1kg is screwed to the side of the playhouse near the BBQ year round

I got 2 more hurricane lanterns from the local car shop £5 each to en standard not as good as the feuerhand one but puts out almost as much light ... Got some more lamp oil from the Yorkshire trading co yesterday..

Got my eyes on one of the old vintage duplex paraffin brass lanterns remember my gran having one kicked a lot of light out from memory (usually only lit at Christmas)

Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm preserving food at the mo. Dehydrating and yesterday processed 7lb of blackberries into bramble jelly and bottled fruit in syrup. Have got some green tomatoes so am going to be doing chutney tomorrow. We've been having a massive clear out of the loft which is now finally done. Today I've started working through the house getting rid of everything we don't use. Unfortunately this is usually the thing you need immediately after throwing it out!