What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Thanks to you all.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Sending Jan love, light, & strength. Positive vibes!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Replaced the co2 extinguisher I used at the weekend when I run out of welding gas....

Put up a couple of osram battery PIR lights in the house meaning I can turn the alarm off (see the key pad) and one by the front door to light the hallway slightly so when I get up at silly am I don't have to put the hall / landing lights on waking the house up....
Screenshot_20200916-224847.png

And due to the wife's car failing to start last night at work at 8pm last night having visited Halfords I was fitting her a new battery by head torch in her works car park as even when jumped it wouldn't run once disconnected
Battery was totally b*****ed failed to dead short internally
Screenshot_20200916-225458.png

Portable jump pack just said NO by a red light and a loud beep .... digital Battery tester wouldn't even recognize it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm Sending Jan love, light, & strength. Positive vibes!
Jansman, sending you all this, you and your wife both. I hope everything goes really smoothly. And sleeping in her own bed because reconstruction is now a day op :shock: might well mean that she feels a lot more relaxed and able to sleep.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 am
diamond lil wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm Sending Jan love, light, & strength. Positive vibes!
Jansman, sending you all this, you and your wife both. I hope everything goes really smoothly. And sleeping in her own bed because reconstruction is now a day op :shock: might well mean that she feels a lot more relaxed and able to sleep.
Thanks.To you and diamond lil.The op ( I'm sure ) will be ok.Its this damned Covid thing.What will be ,will be though.The power of the universe will decide.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I did a definitely final Aldi shop yesterday. Glad I did, they've got bread flour in again. I'll be going to Tesco later this evening and stocking up for me and Mum and then dropping her shopping off. My friend in Scotland has just texted me to say she and her Mum are in Morrisons and there was a queue outside again, the usual suspects of loo roll, flour and tomatoes are low on stock and they were having to queue again for the tills. People are stocking up in preparation for another lockdown. Tescos is going to be interesting tonight. Before I go, I need to do a final double check of my stocks to see if there's any glaring gaps that I need to fill and add to the list. After all that, I'm hunkering down and not leaving the house unless absolutely necessary! Basically I'll re-shield myself. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can do that so I'm very thankful.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am I did a definitely final Aldi shop yesterday. Glad I did, they've got bread flour in again. I'll be going to Tesco later this evening and stocking up for me and Mum and then dropping her shopping off. My friend in Scotland has just texted me to say she and her Mum are in Morrisons and there was a queue outside again, the usual suspects of loo roll, flour and tomatoes are low on stock and they were having to queue again for the tills. People are stocking up in preparation for another lockdown. Tescos is going to be interesting tonight. Before I go, I need to do a final double check of my stocks to see if there's any glaring gaps that I need to fill and add to the list. After all that, I'm hunkering down and not leaving the house unless absolutely necessary! Basically I'll re-shield myself. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can do that so I'm very thankful.
We noticed a spike in what I call “freezer filling” internet orders today at work. The actual footfall was a lot lower too - and proper social distancing was more evident.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 pm We noticed a spike in what I call “freezer filling” internet orders today at work. The actual footfall was a lot lower too - and proper social distancing was more evident.
Thanks for the heads up.

Funny how I just can't feel satisfied even with 4 chock full smallish freezers. I could happily buy and fill a garage full of freezers and other supplies, but then I'd lose sleep over power outages. Also, even I know that it would cause domestic issues.

I'm thinking of renting a lock-up for a much more extreme, off-site, reserve pantry, but again, I know how that would be perceived.

What Preps am I doing this week? Frankly, lots of worrying at the state of the world. All sorts of scenarios rushing through my mind. I might need counselling... here.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:58 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 pm We noticed a spike in what I call “freezer filling” internet orders today at work. The actual footfall was a lot lower too - and proper social distancing was more evident.
Thanks for the heads up.

Funny how I just can't feel satisfied even with 4 chock full smallish freezers. I could happily buy and fill a garage full of freezers and other supplies, but then I'd lose sleep over power outages. Also, even I know that it would cause domestic issues.

I'm thinking of renting a lock-up for a much more extreme, off-site, reserve pantry, but again, I know how that would be perceived.

What Preps am I doing this week? Frankly, lots of worrying at the state of the world. All sorts of scenarios rushing through my mind. I might need counselling... here.
Until two weeks ago,there were just us two here.We had three small freezers running.Now there are three of us here,and we are still one freezer too many IMO! :lol: I have suggested we bite the bullet and run them down; so that will mean some interesting meals over the coming days! There's stuff in there needs using.I said to Mrs.J,as I say to my customers, " do you want to look at it,or eat it? " :lol:

Even though they are full of stuff,I don't stress about power cuts.Freezers will hold for 24 hours ,unopened and a blanket slung over.And if we lost the contents? Big cook-up/ give it away.Freezers are a lovely convenience,but for 'proper' storage,you can't beat shelf-stable ambient foodstuffs. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have some enforced time off this week.Mrs J has a Covid test this afternoon , prior to surgery this week.Hopefully she will test negative.So our household must shield until I drop her off at hospital.I shall clear the garden up,and above all else,harvest all the beans that have dried.We have started to eat a lot more beans lately,so this will be a worthwhile crop.

Robert Frost.

Me.