What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Bang on !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"All the time in broken English ... We have no money. . Don't worry... Once done and clearing up the flares I had 2 cans of super strength polish beer thrust in my hand from his boot.... :mrgreen:"

That doesn't surprise me at all, the majority of Eastern European people are always extremely grateful and responsive to anyone who helps them from my experience.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Your right arwen...

Following on from the car fire. I've had a clear our of old extinguishers, one I've had which has been slowly rusting away I got back sometime around 2004 2006 ish anyway I decided to crack it off tonight first 2 seconds it did as was intended, but then it spluttered and stopped discharging,, the powder had clumped and blocked the discharge nozzle I poked it with some wire it cleared then blocked again...... So that's further reinforced my regular replacement of my cars extinguisher knowing that.......
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

My plan this year is to try to become more self sufficant, and make stores of food we like that's nutritious (my new dehydrator will hopefully help with this). I have been experimenting with this and enjoying it, and learning to be patient. Also trying to regrow some food from scraps in the window. I have my first batch of Apple cider vinegar doing It's thing, made from Apple scraps. I've also been spending lots of time looking at homemade balms and cleaning products. My biggest plan is to ignore those that mock me, and do my prepping\move to more self sufficiency because it makes me happy.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jillybean wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:40 pm ...........My biggest plan is to ignore those that mock me, and do my prepping\move to more self sufficiency because it makes me happy.
This
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jilly, thats a really impressive list of achievements. And ForgeCorvus is right, of course, happiness is best of all :)

January is my finance month, not my prepping month, but in between times I'm gathering stuff for a hospital bag. I've ransacked the house to try to find the spare playing cards that I *know* I have. Grrr. Collecting coins for vending machines (£1, 50p, 20p, some 10ps) is going well.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My son in law was in a car collision on Saturday. His younger brother ( a new driver) was T-Boned at a junction. FORTUNATELY he had a dash- cam, and the footage proves beyond all doubt that in no way, was he at fault. Heaven knows his insurance is dear enough!

As good luck would have it,my lovely wife bought me one for my birthday. Given the miles I drive , it’s a good idea.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:00 pm My son in law was in a car collision on Saturday. His younger brother ( a new driver) was T-Boned at a junction. FORTUNATELY he had a dash- cam, and the footage proves beyond all doubt that in no way, was he at fault. Heaven knows his insurance is dear enough!

As good luck would have it,my lovely wife bought me one for my birthday. Given the miles I drive , it’s a good idea.
I've got mine wired into the ignition so it starts when I start the car.

peejay

Post by peejay »

I processed my first stash of firewood over the weekend and it was far more satisfying than I thought it would be! :) I've had some logs for a couple of months waiting to sort whilst I procrastinated over what chainsaw to get... Ended up with a cheap electric Titan from Screwfix & it's more than up to the kind of load I'm likely to put it through so very pleased. Now to build a decent sized log store with a load of perfect condition decking that a friend has recently pulled up due to planning an extension to his house.

Also tried out my new small log splitter as the general advice Iv'e seen is that although splitting with an axe/maul is healthy work, the constant picking up the logs from the floor would have played havoc with my back.

Will definitely be doing a few more of the local volunteer days this season in return for a boot full of fresh logs each day...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 pm I processed my first stash of firewood over the weekend and it was far more satisfying than I thought it would be! :) I've had some logs for a couple of months waiting to sort whilst I procrastinated over what chainsaw to get... Ended up with a cheap electric Titan from Screwfix & it's more than up to the kind of load I'm likely to put it through so very pleased. Now to build a decent sized log store with a load of perfect condition decking that a friend has recently pulled up due to planning an extension to his house.

Also tried out my new small log splitter as the general advice Iv'e seen is that although splitting with an axe/maul is healthy work, the constant picking up the logs from the floor would have played havoc with my back.

Will definitely be doing a few more of the local volunteer days this season in return for a boot full of fresh logs each day...
If you haven't already get a pair of proper chainsaw gloves and a face screen as a minimum ideally a pair of leg spats...

The left hand of a pair of chain saw gloves is armoured on the back, which is where the chain will burry itself if you get a violent kick back if your not ready....

You can get some with have the armour in both hands ideal if your a lefty
https://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-2-han ... dium/8921r

Bed the chain in properly and keep an eye on the tension too

They dont take prisoners....